I'm so Happy!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some research on broadway title and it's a no go for california. I guess you could do it but it's basically the same process here to register an out of state car as it is to apply for a new title on your own. oh well, i was told AAA can help with this so i'm going to give them a call.

If all else fails for you, Why couldn't I say the car is mine and apply for the title in Missouri through Broadway and then sell you the car back? Just an Idea!:eek:

it's so much hard to do, it's actually supposed to be fairly easy here in ca, it's just that its the same amount of work and more money to use a title company like broadway here. thanks for the offer though.

Sounds Good! They were a last resort for me. I tried everything for about a year when I finally said screw it and sent them the money!:mad:

You poor guys in California have it the worst. What with the title cops arresting people like Coddington and threatening to take away titles from people who have spent a lot of money building a car, it must be a nightmare'

Don

What's really sad is that California creates these goofy rules and laws and then all the other states pick up on them. For years it was "No big trucks in the left lane". Now San Antonio has picked up on it. Soon it will be statewide. California has always made problems for hot rods and titles. Now other states are following with rules like, it has to have the original engine or a direct replacement with paperwork. Or older engines have to be equipped with air pollution crap. I read an article some months back that they are trying to stop the building of custom motorcycles by limiting it to one build in a lifetime. If you build another one for sale, then you have to register as a motorcycle manufacturer and comply with all New Vehicle titles and laws.

the replacement engine stuff isn't true, they could care less if you don't have to smog it. Anything that has to be smogged-yes, they are Nazis. But if it is 76 or older you are pretty much free to do what you want.

i hadn't heard of that, what happened?

I don't know all the specifics, but what I understand happed was the authorities raided his shop and grabbed files and records, and accused him of selling fraudulent cars because they were mistitled as a certain year car, when in fact they were built recently. That could be wrong, but is as much as I know.

Here is some info from Coddingtons website, a little long to read, but it spells out what the government in California wants a person to do to legally title an old car.

As many of you know Boyd Coddington’s Garage and the California DMV had a run in in the recent past. One thing both parties agree on is the laws for registering a Special Constructed Vehicle have been confusing to most hobbyist at best. Both Boyd Coddington’s Garage and the California DMV have joined forces to help clear up this area of hot rodding and hope the information below is a step forward in achieving this goal. The information shown below has been obtained informally: for more information and laws please visit your local DMV office or http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

1. How do you legally register a specially constructed vehicle?

To register a SPCN you must go through the Special Constructed Vehicle registration process with DMV. DMV’s web site lays out this process (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm). The website states:

A completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343). It must include the labor cost, even if it was a vehicle that you built.

A vehicle verification. You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for a vehicle verification. Trailers generally do not require CHP verification.

A Statement of Construction (REG 5036) and bill(s) of sale and receipts for major component parts. The REG 256 may also be used to comply with bond requirements (see below).

Proof of ownership, such as, invoices, receipts, manufacturer's certificates of origin, bill(s) of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, body).

Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order. Brake and light certificates are not required for trailers weighing under 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.

A smog certification, if appropriate.

2. Emission testing requirement for SPCN

The misinformation still being shared in the hot rod / kit car community on this issue is frightening. The community is still under the false impression that you must have a SB 100 exception (500 issued per year) to register a hot rod / kit car (SPCN vehicle). Which in turn leads to emission fraud, which in turn leads to registration fraud where the vehicle is registered as a pre-74 vehicle to get out of emission testing. It is important to communicate that you can register a SPCN without a SB100 exemption – all you have to do is get a smog certificate. As noted in the DMV SPCN registration information, all a SPCN vehicle needs is a “[a] smog certification, if appropriate.” If a “SPCN” obtains a smog certificate it is good to go. For example if you put a new corvette engine in a “Boydster” and it passes the emission test you can register it as a SPCN.

As early as August, 1984, BAR policy was written that "Kit cars and reconstructed vehicles will be smogged to the year of the engine." In October, 1990 the Air Resources Board (ARB) wrote that their policy for "the sale of complete turn-key kit cars in California" was similar to the policy of the USEPA. Such vehicles would be considered to be rebuilt earlier-configuration vehicles rather than new motor vehicles.

In the late 1980s, BAR encountered a situation where General Motors marketed "Target Master" engines. These were universal replacement engines marketed to be compatible with a range of vehicle models & years. For example, a typical Target Master may have been sold as a replacement for the 350CID engine in 1970 to 1985 passenger cars & light trucks. The engines were assembled with all-new components, including block, heads, crankshaft, pistons, camshaft, etc. These engines were marketed to compete with engine rebuilders, who reconditioned used engines using needed new parts. In both cases, the engines were "universal" in that the basic engine would be legal when installed in a range of model years when using the emission controls installed on the original engine from the vehicle.

In some cases, individuals made arguments like "the block & heads are new, and this is 1989, so this is a brand-new 1989 engine & must have all 1989 emission controls, even though installed in a 1976 vehicle with all the 1976 emission controls." BAR’s determination was that the right thing to do was to accept the replacement engine as equivalent to the original engine, when the original emission controls were retained.

With that history in mind -

BAR published a definition for "Replacement Engines".

1. A new, rebuilt, remanufactured or used engine of the same make, number of cylinders, and engine family as the original engine with the original emission controls reinstalled; or

2. An engine which matches a configuration offered by the manufacturer for that year, make and model of vehicle, and the appropriate emission controls for the installed engine, and chassis components are present and connected.

Therefore it is now my understanding that since a “SPCN” is considered “rebuilt earlier-configuration vehicles” and if the “new” engine replicates an original engine, emission testing will be based upon the year the engine replicates. Now this is my interpretation based upon what I have learned. BAR has the final say on all of these issues. As previously noted we are anticipating a clarifying publication on this issue from BAR.

3. SB 100 pass to avoid emission testing requirement for SPCN
ed you should self correct and re-register it legally. Self correction is far better then the current risk of being discovered, cited or arrested, and having your vehicle towed for being fraudulently registered. Yes there is a risk in self correcting that you will be prosecuted for committing a crime. However, that risk will always be present if you do not self correct.

As for the amnesty issue, in an effort to resolve these issues Senator Romero introduced SB 953. This bill has three components:

(a). Mandate increased inspection of out-of-state title documents that are presented at DMV. This investigation has shown that DMV has been accepting fraudulent title at face value. By mandating DMV make some inquiry into the validity of an issued out-of-state title this should close the door to this form of registration fraud.

(b). Creation of a new class of vehicles “replica vehicle.” “Specially constructed” vehicle designation was original created for the “wiener mobile,” “bat mobile,” dune buggies, and other unique vehicles. Following the same guidelines as a specially constructed vehicle, replica vehicles also will require that their registration note not only that they are a replica, but also the type of vehicle that they replicate. The purpose is to move the vehicle description from a 2004 specially constructed vehicle to a 2004 replica: 1965 Ford.

(c). The bill proposes an amnesty from criminal prosecution for those individuals that pay registration fees owed plus penalties. The vehicles are then required to be legally registered (pass smog) before being issued registration. It is estimated that this program could generate over $250,000,000.

SB 953 purpose is to close California’s borders to future registration fraud and offers a mechanism to bring California residents back into compliance with existing law while recovering significant tax revenue. This bill is a two year bill and will be considered in 2006.

Don

Jesse

They nailed Jesse James too for about a 1/4 mil if I'm not mistaken for making bikes that didn't meet polution control requirements. It was pretty bogus.

BoB

Broadway Title Works

I walked out with plates today and the title is on its way. It feels so good to have the imp on the road. Everybody stops me to talk about it. The exhaust looks and sounds freakin sweet! I couldn't be happier!:D :D :D

It was kind of cool, I was standing in line at the DMV and this older gent comes up to me and taps me on the shoulder. He asked, "So...Is that a rat rod you got there?" I started grinning ear to ear and said proudly, "Yes.....I guess it is" I didn't know how he was gonna respond, but suprisingly he loves it and says that he is helping his brother build one right now. He said that he loves the whole idea of building something with what you have and driving the **** out of it, just like he did back in the day. We talked for about 45 minutes after we had our paperwork and you should have seen his face when I started up the imp and took off. He had a huge smile on his face and his eyes seemed to light up! It really made me feel good to have somebody love my old ugly beast as much as I do!

Last edited:
COOL MAN:
Glad it all worked out for you.

If the truth be known, you probably made his day as much as he made yours. Thank for shareing the story.

Kool dudel!!!

Inked,
I felt the same way when I got my tags but we don't have 2 take our cars down to the DMV so it helps when my car said '31 Ford... tehy had no idea. My insurance co. was another story but it worked out! Congrats dude!!!

BoB

"I'm so happy" doesn't even begin to describe my feelings. I've put 200 miles on the imp since thursday!:D :D She just floats down the road without a care in the world!!!:cool:

I've had the same insurance man for about 25 years, and when I got my insurance for my '27, I never mentioned it was a hot rod. He didn't ask, and I didn't tell. I know he was thinking "original" nice little model T.

I ran into him one day, when I was driving it, and he said to me "THIS IS THE MODEL T WE INSURED?????" Good thing he is a personal friend, and I have done him lots of boating favors over the years, plus I have never had any claims in all those years, so he just kinda never brings it up when I renew. :D :D :D

Don

Latest posts

Back