LA 318 & 904 trans

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

23crate

HI ...

any thoughts on a more economic option ?

was chatting to a buddy of mine last nite was claiming around $37.75 of gas to do 344 miles ~ ive worked this out to US dollars ~

hes running a 327 / 700r4 in a twin spinner so theres a little weight

we pay $8.01 for a gallon ( yes I know raped then robbed for gas !!)

SO then after all that .. what if any is a good gas mileage trans for a LA series 318 ?

thanks
Crate

A A518 overdrive from an 89-92 Dodge 2wd dakota, durango or full size van, the later ones are electronic and need a computer to run them.

Every engine has its "sweet spot", where a few hundred RPM can be the difference between poor mileage and good.

At cruising speed, you want your motor to be its powerband, unless it's a very light car. For example: If the 318 doesn't make torque until 2200 RPM, don't ask it to spin 1800 and deliver mileage.

Obviously, an automatic OD has its advantages. Most have a lower 1st gear and naturally, an overdriven 4th. You need a properly matched diff ratio and tire size to benefit from any transmission's ratios.

I would find the 318's specs and the ratios for your transmission candidates... plug all your numbers into a calculator.

https://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

[

https://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx

Thanks Dr C theres abit to think about there.. I guess there any cam work, head flow work , can alter torque to factored into that

for some reason I was working on some generic application, but is not quite as easy ..

dam good start that link !!
Bama had a look at the Gear vendors site .. poss a bit pricey at this stage ~ but its early days in my build. so come to that ..

or even look at the A518 ..

before all that I get my sh#t sorted..

Thanks All

Latest posts

Back