Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Undead Sleds... makin' old tin Undead every day! > Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk

Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk General discussion of car type stuff!

Old 02-12-2018, 03:54 PM
A *real* tin magnet

Default Just thinking out loud

Every so often, I see a 40s-50s custom with a bunch of work and they just look right, kind of like a Dick Tracey cartoon car. Then I start wondering why nobody builds cars that way. Nowdays it's just huge bling wheels and airbags to lay it on the ground. In the old days a properly lowered car had the top chopped at least and even better was sectioning and raising the wheel arches so you could still see all the tire. I miss that look.

While I can't find exactly the car, this comes close. Many of them skirted the rears.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/w...40-Ford-01.jpg
Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Times change. Trends change.

Personally, I prefer styles and trends from days gone by, but as they say, "you can never go back."

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 02-12-2018, 09:10 PM
He's rockin' the "Nuttin Special"!

It's funny to me but for me, it seems the best flowing bodies and cabs were on the 30s to early 40s. I know that differs for lots of people. To each his own. They were the prettiest years. They had "style". I didn't get into the rocket look of the late 50s and early 60s. And from the A models back, things are pretty boxey... Hey, but that's just me!
Old 02-13-2018, 01:50 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfoot View Post
It's funny to me but for me, it seems the best flowing bodies and cabs were on the 30s to early 40s. I know that differs for lots of people. To each his own. They were the prettiest years. They had "style". I didn't get into the rocket look of the late 50s and early 60s. And from the A models back, things are pretty boxey... Hey, but that's just me!
We might be brothers, Small. At least kindred spirits. And WB3, I am a huge fan of chopped, channeled, sectioned, smoothed, slammed, open wheel welled customs. I suspect that in our fast paced world of today, that is just too much work for the average customizer.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:35 AM

I was never a big fan of the radical customs, especially if to the point of the car completely losing its identity, (what the hell is/was that?).

Making the rounds at the local car shows was a 55 Chevy with the chopped top, lowered with the rear wheel cut outs , and '55 Desoto tailights. I'm like, who does that to a Fiver?

But the more I saw it the more I liked it, it still had its identity, but just different enough to keep me looking at it.

Then there are these EARLY FORD LATE MODEL T BIRD KITS

Last edited by lazarat; 02-14-2018 at 06:43 AM. Reason: link added
Old 02-14-2018, 08:04 AM
Brother Rat

Except for a couple rust rods, I rarely see any recent custom work on local cars. There are a handfull of early 50's with frenched lights or different tail lights, and chopped 30's, but mostly those were done 30+ years ago, that's about it. There used to be a Shoebox Ford that was around that had real work done to it - Merc grille, chopped, reworked rear deck and lights, etc. Most everything else is either restoration or add on trinkets.

I had planned on sectioning my 48, but after the chop, I was afraid it wouldn't improve the look so left it alone.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!

I think the late 30's through the early 50's make the best customs. Also, i think any of the tri 5 chevys look like crap with chopped tops.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear View Post
I had planned on sectioning my 48, but after the chop, I was afraid it wouldn't improve the look so left it alone.
I can't agree more.

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 02-14-2018, 07:57 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I agree also especially with a chopped tri 5
Old 02-14-2018, 08:59 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Nothing wrong here......

Attached Images
File Type: jpg genew1.jpg (81.5 KB, 45 views)