Chevy ll 283 V-8 Engine Block with Recessed Oil Filter Boss

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But once I did have a 283 block that had no codes on the front pad. It came out of a pickup and the pickup casting number was the same as 58 Corvette.

There's the problem. If the casting# shows one Corvette application, it's instantly a Corvette motor and advertised as such. If you know small block Chevys, you know this is 99% conjecture, 1% knowledge and 9 times out of 10, a half-wit's fishing expedition.

Now to find the guy that can't live without my 58 Vette dual four manifold.

I'll pay shipping, if you want it to go to a good home. ;)

On Nick's Dyno.

251 HP? No offense, hans, but that's pathetic!

Doc said: "251 HP? No offense, hans, but that's pathetic! " Doc, not really so. Nick explained that HP was not the prize. Not bad for parts on hand from multiple different motors. The guy wanted rumble. I think he got it.

I understand, smallfoot. The customer is happy and that's all that matters.

I'm just saying, if you're not building a combination for power numbers, why pay somebody to build it and put it on the dyno???

I'd be disappointed at 251 from any motor....

don't care If I was "concerned" about the HP or not, but I'd think 290 or 300 would be more what I would expect....but that's just me...:D but you are right... if the owner is happy then that is the ticket...

Just sayin, not everybody is full tilt race. Surely, if a guy was building for high horses he'd start with something else. I also know that the 283 is quite capable of producing more horses, and fairly easy too.

You're right.
I'm like Doc, in my mind, when I see a dyno sheet, it's for a performance engine.
I wouldn't pay dyno time for an everyday engine.
The 350 in my 37 is probably only putting out a whopping 250 donkeys which will soon change.

Well, they took an engine that could have been 220 horse from the factory with a 4 barrel and only gained 30 horsepower with headers, cam, single plane intake and huge carburetor. Hmmmm? It did sound good. But I have to put my 2 cents in about the owner. First off that cool Olds fastbck with a not-Olds engine lame. And even lamer still is painting a 283 poo green.AAAACK!! I vote fail/fail/fail

Maybe he will come across the special oil pan that went with it.

Yeah, lots of things specific to the 1st and 2nd gen ChevyII's , like the block being discussed, those front sump oil pans, 7 o'clock bell housings and that compact clutch linkage with the z-bar that looks like a dog's hind leg! I have quite a collection of that crap. ;)

Do people really restore gen I Chevy IIs? I thought they were all hot rods by now. Especially if it only has two doors. [S

That's where most of them went for sure! But there's always one lurking here and there.......like this '64 two door sedan that's been collecting dust in the back of my garage for 16 years. :eek:

Attachments

• 9-7-08 a little dusty but that's a 'NICE BUTT'.jpg
    9-7-08 a little dusty but that's a 'NICE BUTT'.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 7
Well, they took an engine that could have been 220 horse from the factory with a 4 barrel and only gained 30 horsepower with headers, cam, single plane intake and huge carburetor. Hmmmm? It did sound good. But I have to put my 2 cents in about the owner. First off that cool Olds fastbck with a not-Olds engine lame. And even lamer still is painting a 283 poo green.AAAACK!! I vote fail/fail/fail

WB, if your poo is that colour green I suggest you consult a doctor immediately :p

Latest posts

Back