cleanin up the rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey some of you may have discovered my(cadicofin) obsession of shaving everything as much as possible. weather itbe cantilever shocks or drive shaft dirven alternator in the rear etc and etc. anyone else have some pics or other ideas oh how to clean a rat up even more?

forgot the pics

Attachments

• 004shocks2.jpg
    004shocks2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 004shocks.jpg
    004shocks.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 40
  • headlight mount.JPG
    headlight mount.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 008b_1.JPG
    008b_1.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 42
No offense but, I’m not sure I understand your question.
Why would you want to “clean” it up?

I like the idea of seeing fasteners, brackets, wires, the mechanical workings exposed.
Having everything hidden is what they have been doing on show cars and high dollar builds for years.

Jeff

i think you could go either way. in some aspects, exposed bolts are cool, but on the other hand, that streamlined, clean, spaceship look is cool too. I'm not sure about any general guidelines though. If your doing a roadster, you could weld the doors shut and make the body smooth all the way down. Also fill in any seams between fenders and the body, etc.

chop i dont know if you have a car but if you do imsure you love it when people want to konw why you did this or how you did that and youget the simple pleasure of the fact its how you did and becaue YOU DID IT. plain and simple this is what turns me on and frankly makes mine better or at least different.

chop i dont know if you have a car but if you do imsure you love it when people want to konw why you did this or how you did that and youget the simple pleasure of the fact its how you did and becaue YOU DID IT. plain and simple this is what turns me on and frankly makes mine better or at least different.

Dave,
I was just trying to understand what you meant by “clean up you rat”.
Don’t get me wrong, I want my end results to be aesthetically pleasing and functional, and different is good, if it is executed right.
I’ve built “billet barges” where everything is clean and hidden, which is nice to look at, I just happen to like everything exposed and seeing the simplicity of the mechanics better.
I apologize if you thought my comment was in anyway a slam on what you were asking, as it wasn’t meant to be.

Jeff

no harm no foul. no my objective is to atain the industrail age/impliment look of having more mechainical things to the work of the store bought parts. for example the cantilever set up for the shock, i plan on trying that but having the shocks on the inside the frame and by the use of a lever transfer up and down motion to side to side and will be located under each frame rail. hard to picture im sure but ive done alittle toying out in the shop and i think i can make it work. i saw on a builder bike off wher a guy used small sprokets and alittle chain as his throtal linkage. looked neet, and thats what im shooting for. not more store bought parts just to dress it up, thus "cleaning up the rat"

Easy now!

Disaster,
Easy now... everyone here has a car. Chop is a very experience rodder with great skills not some young kid just starting out. He was just trying to help. He has apologised, you have apologised... carry on!

Rat Rod Mod

Sounds pretty cool...
I'm not one who can explain very well. Take some pics as you try, (even if it doesn't work out) could very well spawn new ideas...

The costoms we build are a direct reflection on our personality. That is why I call mine "Dark Sarcasm"

Alright, I'll add something to this although I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for. In my Anglia, I do not have much room for anything, so I hid my wiring and fuse panel behind an old firewall mounted heater box. I bought an old heater for cheap off of ebay, and removed the guts. I then repainted the outer cover with a hammertone silver finish (it was originally that color), built some brackets on the inside of the firewall for attachment. Attached my fuse box and relays to the inside of the firewall, and used the empty heater box to cover the wiring. Note: I made a standoff out of sheetmetal to screw the ecectrical items to, so the screws would not protrude through the firewall into the engine compartment. The completed deal can be seen in this picture (it's the silver box on the firewall) butI do not have a close-up.

Latest posts

Back