Disappointing Car Show.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakota

Rides a rusted horse
Yesterday I went to a car show in the parking lot of the Cowboys Dance Hall here in San Antonio. It was sponsored by a local group doing a blood drive for the Troops in Iraq. Only about 60 cars showed up. Out of that only 7 were hot rods. One from the 20's, two from the 30's, one from the 40's and two from the 50's. There was about 20 60's/70's muscle cars. A couple of new Pantellas and Beemers. The rest was spiffied up new cars from the local dealerships. NOT EVEN ONE RAT ROD!!! Out of all the car clubs in San Antonio, I met only one member of one car club. The Gear Grinders. Out of the 7 vendors, one sold food, one sold sunglasses, one sold clocks, one was a local dealership selling speed parts, a national Mustang club, 2 guys from the local VFW, and the biggest was the guys and gals from the American Legion Riders. Bike riders from the local American Legion Post. They were out there in full force, bikes and all. The saddest part was the, (I use the term loosely...very loosely), lady walking around half naked in 5" spike heels, passing out business cards, so guys will come see her at the local strip joint.
The busiest place was the visitor parking lot. They'd fight for 20 minutes to get a parking spot and then leave 15 minutes later disgusted. I spent almost two hours there walking around talking with car owners, visitors, and vendors. Mostly observing and learning. For the whole time I was there, the Blood Mobile didn't draw ONE DROP of blood.

This was supposed to be a blood drive for our troops.

WHAT A SAD DAY!!!

Car Shows Aren't What They Used To Be

Lakota,

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed. I lived in San Antonio up 'til Summer of '05 and left many times from local shows having seen nothing but "show cars" that were still owned by the bank.

Are you going to attend the show next weekend in Corpus Christi put on by the Coastal A's and Rods? It has always been one of my favorites.

To get back to normal here and answer your question Jeff.
Next weekend I'll be at the Rods and Classics Auto Swap Meet on I-35 @Walzem Rd. I've gotta get my ride back together by the 1st of June. We're supposed to start taking applications for membership on our new car club here. It would seem kind of hokey if I showed up at the meeting place in my wifes SUV.
Still have to sand, primer and bolt the bed back on. Bolt the seat back in. Find a better place to mount the battery. And finally, finish the wiring. I got about 6 weeks behind because of the few weeks of rain, and then a death in the family.

sorry to hear that Lakota, about the show and the family member. As far as poor shows go, here they are usually pretty bad too, not very many car people in this town.

Rods & Classics

My condolences to you and you family.

Now you are making me homesick. I used to love that swap meet when it was at the pig's stand and I went for years without missing one.

Yeah, some great stuff there. Last month I almost bought a complete 29 Tudor for $1600. Then I noticed that he had chained the body down so tight that he bent the doors inward. I pointed it out to him as I'm thinking that I can swap the doors and offered him a Grand, but he wouldn't budge. Some guy drove away with a Henry J on his trailer for easy money. I think he paid $850. Of course there are the scammers that buy from the local Pick-n-Pull and try to sell it at double the price. The dead giveaway is the red spray paint on it. Lots of rims and tires. Yep, the old guy selling the Billet is there. Lots of rearends, Model A and B frames and front ends. I was even tempted to buy a 55 Chevy pick up for $750. A couple of '26 and '27 T Bucket bodies. Even a 1910 restored, but no one could touch that price tag.

Latest posts

Back