Customizations you don't understand

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey... I lov shaved door handles! :D:D:D

Not a prob for me... no windows either! :D

BoB

That's fine, I just don't understand them and would never own a car with them, unless it didn't have a roof... :rolleyes:

WHITEWALLS!!

0n most vehicles they look stupid, very few look good with them kinda tires,

sorry guys, just my $.O2, but he asked so l answered.

putting wheels and tires on is almost always the first custom thing we all do.

Later :cool:

Yep, it's always a personal choice, and some people just don't like whitewalls.

giant wheels with rubber band tires. give me 14" and 15" only.

I hear you. I like some of them, but some vehicles just shouldn't have big wheels. Even if they have big wheels, I like them to have a bit of tire (no terrible-riding rubber bands).

Sectioning. I haven't seen very many, if any at all, that wouldn't have looked better NOT sectioned.

Agreed. Many end up looking kind of goofy, almost like a bobblehead.

Many of the custom modifications that we do today are based on what was done back in the 40's and 50's. Removing all or most of the stock chrome trim was done to let the flow of the custom work shine thru.The door handles especialy seemed to a real "Flow" blocker. Plus having no door handles just added to the cool factor as well. As did Frenched headlights and tailights. Rounded door and hood corners.And yes, every true custom guy has a solinoid failure story to tell.

The use of whitewalls in my opinion was a way to mimick what was being used on the production luxury vehicles of the day. It is what is refered to as "Bling" today. Same with spotlights and fenders skirts. These all would have been considered up grades to any production vehicle back in the 40's and 50's. An interesting aside is that many of the immediate post war customs didn't have WW's as they were not yet again available.

Plus, as with anything. Once some one saw a custom they either tried to duplicate it or too better it. Really not much different that what goes on today with our current builds. In fact if anything these custom trends spread much slower than today due to no internet. Back in the day a custom guy like me would have to wait for my monthly Rod and Custom to see what the Barris Brothers or the Ayala Brothers were doing out in California. And bu the time I would do it to my car. The styles were already changing.

Things like Chopping and Channeling. Or the biggy, Sectioning, were done by the masters as a way to show how good they were as well as to create something that was different from every body else.
Just my two bits worth.
Torchie.

Thanks for the thoughts Torchie. I'm not disputing that customization is part of the hobby, and that it shouldn't be done or people shouldn't shave handles. I'm just saying it's not something I like. That's part of what keeps everyone's vehicle from being the same. I think it's interesting to hear what people don't like in vehicles, since we often just see what they like.

I'll probably catch some flack for this but bagged cars, just so you can lay them on the ground. A car laying on the ground just looks wrong to me. And also the big bling 20-22 inch wheels on old cars.

When bags first got popular I wanted something with bags, but I set my vehicles up so that they have the stance I want all the time, and I also want something reliable that doesn't need to be messed with, so solid suspension is what I roll.

I am kinda with you on this one.
But my main one is a car that is so low or chopped it is undrivable
I simply think that is stupid.
If I can't drive it to the store.
It isn't a car.

I'm with you there. I put thousands of miles on my vehicles each year, I need something that is comfortable to get in and drive 1000+ miles. I assume in general a lot of the really aggressively chopped and channeled stuff doesn't go out of town... At least here it doesn't go far. Same with roadsters, the season is very short in Alberta.

My definition of Custom " is the personal choice or idea that the builder has visioned " A lot of looks I would not have for myself. and a lot of people would not like my cars........I have a bumper sticker on my fridge that says it all for me. " Those who judge don't count, Those who count don't judge"

as long as its safe on the road, go for it. have fun:)

I'm definitely not trying to keep people from customizing their vehicles or debating what custom is. I just wanted to start an interesting conversation.

If the owner likes the mods great. I personally don't get the gasser craze? I think early novas and willys are ok but 4-door grandma cars?

The gasser craze sure is taking off. I would build one but I've got enough stuff. Not everyone gets it though, and not all of them are the right car to do it with, I agree there.

jfg455, this is not a custom........it's a Rat Rod

And if you like it that's all that matters! I'm also not a big fan of the wheels being way far out, but centered on the grill shell is fine by me. If those are perfect proportions to you, then that's what counts! [cl

Several of you mentioned George Barris and, while I realize that he is the "king of customizers", I really don't "get" some of his stuff. I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder.

A lot of his stuff is very far out there. Personally, some of his builds I've seen are extremely poorly constructed. Sure, they have the wow factor when looking at them, but the original batmobile was a pretty poorly thrown together vehicle with body lines that didn't match, etc.

I'm with you there. I have an '86 Caprice (similar to what's in that picture) and it's on the ground with 15" wheels.

I'm sure in 54 years I've all the above at least once and I'm sure it sounded like a good idea at the time. [S
To quote my grampa (may he rest in peace) "if see someone with a really ugly person on their arm what do you say to them? not a damn thing"
Eye of the beholder [cl

I'm sure in 54 years I've all the above at least once and I'm sure it sounded like a good idea at the time. [S
To quote my grampa (may he rest in peace) "if see someone with a really ugly person on their arm what do you say to them? not a damn thing"
Eye of the beholder [cl

Yep, to each their own. I'm just interested in what those things are that people don't like seeing, whether or not you've done it. If there's nothing then you may be a better person than I.

Trailer queens. When one is dropped, chopped, lifted all to the extreme that it is un drive-able. Buy some diecast cars, they are a lot cheaper.

Another is rust. I don't understand why someone would make/let a car or truck rust on purpose. It seem that I can't find a solid ride around here and other places are making it rust worse that what I am trying to fix.:confused:

Tim

Rear view mirrors

I don't get "shaved" rear view mirrors, or mirrors that are too small or oddly placed to be practical. Where I drive, the greater Baltimore/DC Metro area, good rear view mirrors are a MUST!

Rear View Mirrors: Don't Merge Without Them

440shorty

Thanks for the thoughts Torchie. I'm not disputing that customization is part of the hobby, and that it shouldn't be done or people shouldn't shave handles. I'm just saying it's not something I like. That's part of what keeps everyone's vehicle from being the same. I think it's interesting to hear what people don't like in vehicles, since we often just see what they like.

It's cool:cool:
Some things I don't like.
Overly chopped vehicles.
I don't care for bagged cars as the concept of "Laying Frame" makes no sense to me.:eek:
Big rims with skinny tires.
Lambo doors.
Stuff done just for the sake of doing it.
Torchie.

The one customization I've never understood is a massive motor that never gets used. Too many times I've been at shows looking at some high horsepower filled vehicle only to find out they've never driven it besides a car show or cruise?

The one customization I've never understood is a massive motor that never gets used. Too many times I've been at shows looking at some high horsepower filled vehicle only to find out they've never driven it besides a car show or cruise?

There are lot of those around here, high horsepower cars that get trailered around. Even rats that get trailered. I understand neither.

I think the same thing when I see rods with a big block and 3-4 inch wide bias ply firestones. Seems like even a stock small block would send them up in smoke if you ever actually mashed the loud pedal.

Guess I'm gettin old and tired, but really clean "show" rods just don't appeal. I'm a realist. I can never keep a vehicle absolutely clean and spotless because I try to run the wheels off em using them as a vehicle. My surrounds are not city streets but dirt roads and back country roads. Much like a woman. Give me an everyday Betti that knows she looks good to me and I'll chose her over a movie star any day...

jfg455, this is not a custom........it's a Rat Rod

Lol You got me there Rick. I guess I'm into "Traditional Rods". I'll return my RRR decals...[cl:D

My views are just my personal likes / dislikes. I have a huge appreciation for the fabrication aspects of all kinds of builds from customs, hot rods, race cars, VW's, tuners etc. I may not like or do a mod to my car but I can give props to the work it took to get there.

There used to be a mid 60's Vette ProStreet car locally that a body shop owner had. The car was spectacular, looked great and had a monster blown engine that sounded like a fuel dragster. His shop was a couple of blocks from one show we used to frequent and even that short drive would have the radiator puking out all the coolant !

It wasn't really drivable but when he pulled in to the show a crowd would gather because it was so radical and sounded great, but what a useless POS in every other respect.

Don

I guess what I can't understand is how someone can sit behind the wheel of a monster and not want to punch it? Like owning a new Vette and not driving it hard in the corners at some point?

Heck, I want to see how fast I can go when I grab the handles of a wheelbarrow. :rolleyes: (There is a good reason all my vehicles tend to have low top speeds and I stay away from cycles)

I understand cars that are art, I guess, but a lot of times it seems like the big motor stuff is a lot of money spent just for bragging about what it might do. I don't get that. [rant off]

I don't understand the reason for the big rim stuff, but I get it. It's art, a look. The Lambo door thing is no different than suicide door mods - generally no good reason.

Bagged vehicles - the fendered stuff tend too look like boats cruising the water. I like that look. Before I even bought my Olds, I decided I wanted a vehicle that, if parked behind a barn, would look like it had been there for years slowly sinking into the ground. Laying frame was the way to get that look for me.

I agree with a lot you.Money seems to be an issue on some of these mods,make it eye catching but impractical.In the early eighties I was into the 4x4 look take a toyota and stick it as high in the air as you could. but then the lowrider craze hit me and it was scrape the ground.So it funny how your tastes can change but to add to this post I never got the elaborate paint jobs or chrome everything that can be unbolted on the undercarriage.

lrmp_1101_55_o%2Blexani_lifestyle_festival%2Bchromed_undercarriage.jpg

There used to be a mid 60's Vette ProStreet car locally that a body shop owner had. The car was spectacular, looked great and had a monster blown engine that sounded like a fuel dragster. His shop was a couple of blocks from one show we used to frequent and even that short drive would have the radiator puking out all the coolant !

It wasn't really drivable but when he pulled in to the show a crowd would gather because it was so radical and sounded great, but what a useless POS in every other respect.

Don

That was the whole original pro street movement in a nutshell. Many of the most radical couldn't even make a pass through the fairgrounds without over heating. I still don't like them, even though they will now mostly drive if called on to.

I was looking at a feature car build in a magazine yesterday, pretty typical of that rag where the owner just had enough money to hire the most notable builders. It was a 55 Chevy, Art Morrison or some similar name C4 based chassis, built big block with total custom underhood, leather lexus seats and the best leather interior. So basically you have a high end modern luxury/performance car made to look like a 55 Chevy. Same with a lot of the 30s Ford builds, every conceivable option on a modern chassis. I walk by those cars with a yawn at the car shows just to get to the roughrods and old thrashed out drag cars.

Latest posts

Back