In need of a photoshop wizard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the window goes higher onto the roof and maybe they humped the trunk more to match the window curve? You could even sink the corners of the glass a little below the metal I would think.

I really like the wrap around rear window. And if possible would like to keep it. This picture looks really nice and if I can do something like that I would be ecstatic. I was wondering if I could cut the window frame out in entirely and reposition it in angle and such and not cut that glass. I am wondering if that is what is done in this picture. Judging by looks of the back of mine and this I would say it is. And I love that look. I have seen a thread for this one some where. Now I just need to remember where....

And that sir is why I am on here almost everyday. No body smacking you around saying what you are doing is stupid or wrong. Just constructive criticism.....

I agree with OldIrons call on the satin black car pictured. Definately sunk into the rear panel and leaned forward. This car also has what is considered a "Mild" chop
You can do a chop with the wrap around rear it is just going to take more figuring out.
You are on the right track with the thoughts about leaving the rear window frame intact if you can. But if you cut the glass that is a moot point.
Here is a pic of a hardtop chop that has the wrap around rear window.
As I stated in one of my earlier posts you can get repro LAMINATED glass for the rear windows now that make them cut-able.
Notice I didn't say "Easy to cut":D Or your other option is Lexan.
Keep at it. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.....
One other thought. Make a template or your rear window and then put it over the exsisting glass upside down and see where the corners fall. This may allow you to lean it forward more. Just another old customisers trick.
Torchie.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
So in an effort to answer Neverdone question and all the rest of us wondering and guessing about how to use the wrap around rear window for his top chop I posted a question for some details on my favorite custom site Custom Car Chronicles.
All customs. All the time.[cl;)[cl
Rik who is the operator of that site had posted an article earlier about a 53 Chevy that still used the wrap around rear window for the chop.
Hopefully we will have some solid answers to pass along here in the next day or so as "Inquiring minds want to know......"
Torchie.

So here is some clarifaction......

Got a response from not only the guy that runs the CCC site but he got a response from the man that built the car that I am refering too.
Here are a couple of pics for you Neverdone.
I know that initally you were thinking more of a "Fastback" style of chop. I still think that would require the use of a different style rear glass and the fabrication of new sail panels on either side of the window.
The car picture was buit in the 80's and is chopped 3-4 inches. It has more of the traditional style chop to it than you sometimes see nowadays.
The rear window is a sheet of Lexan that was formed over the original rear window. Then cut down to fit the window opening. So while not using the original rear glass it still retains thye wrap around look.
If you look at the 2nd pic of the 2 cars side by side you can see that the builder also made some relief cuts to smooth out the "Bubble" at the rear of the roof/upper window frame creating a smooth transition as compared to the car in the background.
You can get on the Custom Car Chronicle site to read the full story and see more detailed pics.
The builders name is Walter Leeman.
As with many things, lots of different ways to achieve something.
This build is going to be a blast to watch.[P[P
Torchie.

Attachments

• CCC-walter-leeman-53-chevy-13.jpg
    CCC-walter-leeman-53-chevy-13.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 26
  • CCC-walter-leeman-53-chevy-11.jpg
    CCC-walter-leeman-53-chevy-11.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 25
I'm Still trying to figure out how I want to do this. I am thinking I may be best to ditch the wrap around rear window and just put something different in the back.

Anyone have an idea if I was to use a different window on the back? I see a lot of guys say 46-48 chevy but where would I find the outer frame for such a thing?

Anyone have an idea if I was to use a different window on the back? I see a lot of guys say 46-48 chevy but where would I find the outer frame for such a thing?

Your best bet for any rear window swap would be to find a parts car and cut the back out of the roof, then you have the entire window opening along with some extra sheetmetal to help blend it in if necessary.

Latest posts

Back