In need of a photoshop wizard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

He's not done yet...
So I am trying to vision a chop on the 54..... But can't come up with a good mix. I think I want to chop more in the back than the front. Slant the roof a bit. Can some one help me out?

Here is a good side shot to work with....

IMG_20140624_193300_933_zpsehrgw5dj.jpg

I pretty much did the exact opposite of what you asked for (I guess I should read the request better before opening Photoshop), but here goes. Bear in mind, I'm still new to Photoshop, so it's not going to look as good as the stuff Marv puts out.

54-rat-rod-chop.jpg

Well, here's about 2"? off the front and 4"? off the back. Notice it gets a little wavy in front of the back window. I just leaned the back window forward, but in reality I think the sides would come down too far to work. I assume it's tempered. You'd probably have to use a different window.

As for the rest of the of it, I leaned the roof and windshield together at the bottom of the A-posts.

Attachments

• ndUntitled.jpg
    ndUntitled.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 55
I agree with you that the slanty chop with two inches more at the back is the answer.
Could you slide the excess back window into the trunk a bit and build a fake rubber seal where the trunk tin touches the window?
Now, if you could get a B pillar from an older Chevy that is slanty and curved you'd have a tiger by the tail. [cl[cl

I agree with you that the slanty chop with two inches more at the back is the answer.
Could you slide the excess back window into the trunk a bit and build a fake rubber seal where the trunk tin touches the window?
Now, if you could get a B pillar from an older Chevy that is slanty and curved you'd have a tiger by the tail. [cl[cl

Mac has it.
Most that would the use stock wrap around rear window would sink it into the rear shelf area.
But what seems to be more common is the use of a different window. Something smaller that matches the curve of the roof. Shoebox Ford perhaps. The trick with that is to get the roof section to go along with the glass. Or come up with the smaller rear window that I believe Chevy also offered for that year.
Don't know what you have for sources in your area but maybe put it up on the site and see what we can all come up with.
I have a yard in my area that might have something you can use.
As far as slanting the B pillar to me that is a matter of personal choice as I have seen great chops done both ways.
Torchie.

You boys need to study up on chop tops. The "B" pillars get their forward lean because as the front drops and moves fwd it pulls the whole roof fwd.The pillars are pie cut to reach.The back glass doesn't have to be cut or sunk into the trunk when everything moves fwd the back glass is cut loose and laid more flat to reach the roof.I recommend doing a lot of research and how to's before you start hacking.

Hers a link to a 54 chop for you ND.
Had the same back window as yours but they replaced it with something else and slanted the pillars.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chopping-tops-in-flip-flops-hhrds-54-chevy-chop.788175/
As far as slanting the pillars goes they don't have to be done that way because of the chop. See pic. Some people like them straight up.
Laying down the wrap around rear glass doesn't really work on these as there is no place for the lower front corners of the glass to go. And is you move the window location to allow for laying it down it throws off the flow. The 2nd pic is a 54 with a mild chop and wrap around rear window which is not what Neverdone is contemplating.
Also just an FYI they are apparently repopping the wrap around rear glass for these in laminate which would allow you to cut it.
Just my 2 cents....
Torchie.

Attachments

• chev1b.jpg
    chev1b.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 54007.jpg
    54007.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
SneakySnake, won't the the curved sides of the back glass be pushed too far down to work if it's simply laid over?

SneakySnake, won't the the curved sides of the back glass be pushed too far down to work if it's simply laid over?

That does have a pretty curved rear glass, Found a pic looks like they kept original.
May be easier to swap out for a smaller glass as mentioned.
Im no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.lol

54chevy_chop2.jpg

That does have a pretty curved rear glass, Found a pic looks like they kept original.
Im no expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.lol

54chevy_chop2.jpg

I was a little late on my posting, but you explain exactly what I was asking.

That's what makes this site so great. The exchange of ideas.[cl
With a mild chop it would be possible to use the stock wrap around or just sink it slightly into the rear panel. But with the chop that neverdone is invisioning his best bet would be to use a different window or chop the top hard and make a lexan wrap around rear window. Which has been done on customs for a lot longer than people think.
The biggest problem with the wrap around rear glass is going to be getting a good flow IMHO.
Torchie.

54chevy_chop2.jpg

I really like the wrap around rear window. And if possible would like to keep it. This picture looks really nice and if I can do something like that I would be ecstatic. I was wondering if I could cut the window frame out in entirely and reposition it in angle and such and not cut that glass. I am wondering if that is what is done in this picture. Judging by looks of the back of mine and this I would say it is. And I love that look. I have seen a thread for this one some where. Now I just need to remember where....

That's what makes this site so great. The exchange of ideas.[cl

And that sir is why I am on here almost everyday. No body smacking you around saying what you are doing is stupid or wrong. Just constructive criticism.....

Latest posts

Back