Going Sideways

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizzerd

Hi Guys/Gals

Im building a 53 chevy 5 window truck. im gonna slam it on its face and build it to go sideways. any thoughts on a good rear set up. currently i only have a 283 sbc to power it. i want to get a 400 small block. any thoughts?

thanks
Wizzerd

Hi Guys/Gals

Im building a 53 chevy 5 window truck. im gonna slam it on its face and build it to go sideways. any thoughts on a good rear set up. currently i only have a 283 sbc to power it. i want to get a 400 small block. any thoughts?

thanks
Wizzerd

This requires a lot more info :) [P

Exactly...

Wizzerd, what do you mean by "build it to go sideways"? Are you planning to go drifting or something else?

Big engine good trans... small tire .. makes for a good burn-out machine ..which most rat-rods dont have no weight on the rear end anyways..

Ever seen all those rear wheel drive big v-8's in the junkyard with wasted quarter panels and doors?
make sure it has good suspension and good steering
Getting sideways is never as difficult as getting strightened back out.

on an ice cream run one time my buddy
stomped on it leaving in his stupid powerful t-bucket
for a second there i thought he was gonna lose that thing.
it was a leetle bit scary.:eek:

My 23 went sideways across 3 lanes of traffic one time ! :eek: I turned right from a traffic light and when I got on it to merge with traffic one slick bit and one didn't and before I knew it I was sliding sideways, taking up 3 lanes. When I got it stopped all the traffic behind me was just sitting there looking at me. I was more embarrassed than scared.

Another night I played with some new car at a light in my 27 and sort of eased out in first and then got both four barrels open in second. The car kicked hard to the right and I had to get out of it to get it straightened up. My Son was behind me in his hot rod and when we got back to the shop he asked me what I was thinking ! :eek::eek:

Don

burn outs are easy, staying straight and being able to come to a stop afterwards is the hard part. Locker would have my vote. I run an eaton posi and have to rebuild every year or so. Also for cheap tire. Onlinetires.com is pretty decent priced if you get sideways like I get sideways.

Latest posts

Back