Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

that is cool, now l wish l,d kept on of the 194Oish mopars to make somethin' like this[dr

anymore pics or website for info?

Later :cool:

I have seen those being used as a sub frame on some vintage Plymouth builds Crank.Not sure about them working for Dodges.
That’s part of the issue here. Way more info on swaps for this Era Plymouth,s then Dodge. Basicly two totally different cars.
Ideally. I would find a 318 Volare orbDodge Aspen as a donor vehicle.
In searching I have found a few slant six cars but it seems the 318 version are becoming collectible.
I always thought that they were quite fugly myself.lol
I’m hoping my local yard has a few tucked away.
I believe that the Scarbird disc brake conversion uses the Volare calipers and rotors.
I signed up at the P15-D24 Forum so hopefully I will find some answers over there as well.
Thanks for looking in on me....."
Torchie

Last edited:
Good luck with your quest[P[P

Thanks kenny.
Was on the computer a lot yesterday as we were under blizzard conditions. Most likely again today as the major clean up begins. 3 counties around me have declared ALL roads closed including at least one major highway.:eek::eek:
My research so far seems to show that most people are not doing frame swaps on these era Mopars. Mostly sub framing (All over the map on those) as well as just upgrading front brakes and rear ends.
Although Dodge was still using uprights on their front ends their engineering and handling was considered the best in the industry at the time. Stock brakes are interesting to get adjusted but once dialed in were also considered top notch. ( For 1949-50 LOL).
Improvements can be made with relocation of front shocks and disc brakes. As far as the rear end goes, people use what ever will fit. I want to keep the stock wheel bolt pattern- 5x4.5. I've read the Ford 8" works and has that pattern and of course there are many Mopar options as well.So more investigating is in order.
Staying warm and staying put today......
Torchie

Torchie, I'm planning a '46 Dodge D24, so I'm watching and learning your tricks. I put a Chrysler 300 8 3/4 rear-end under mine and I had to move the centre bolt holes outbound a little wee bit, otherwise it worked out pretty good. The brake parts were easy to get at Napa. I was hoping to use the drum/ shoe brakes on the front but they were missing and I've had some trouble finding all of the pieces. There are disc brake conversions out there.
Yesterday I stumbled onto this company. Street Rods, Parts and Memorabilia. [email protected] There are lots of Mopar parts here.
Keep up the good work.[P[P[P[;)[P

My front brakes and drums are intact Mac. So that’s still an
Option. Scarebird makes a disc conversion as do a couple of others but their names escape me at this time.
Butch’s cool stuff has the mopar small block trans and engine mount kits that give you the off set to retain the stock steering box
It’s all out there. Just got to find the bucks.
Torchie

Last edited:
Not sure cb and with only one on the car I can’t get an exact measurement.
But using the ends of the front bumper as a guide And how much it sticks out beyond the one mounted fender I would say that 68” is close.
Torchie

Not sure cb and with only one on the car I can’t get an exact measurement.
But using the ends of the front bumper as a guide And how much it sticks out beyond the one mounted fender I would say that 68” is close.
Torchie

Here are my thoughts, FWIW.

Have you looked into an early Dakota, either for a front suspension clip or for a frame swap? Seems like you mentioned one some time back. I think the early Dakotas were about 68" wide. You get rack and pinion steering and disc brakes. Also the suspension geometry is much better with the Dakota than with the S10.

I have custom build 3 frames, but only because the stock frame was bent or too thin. It appears to me that the 49 frame is well build, although it would be improved with cross-bracing. I have swapped for a 51 Wayfarer, but it is still 200 miles away so I cannot measure.

There are some Jaguar options you may want to consider for grafting on your frame, as it may be less work than fabricating body mounts for an S10 or Dakota frame swap.

The early Jag XJ6 (up until 86 or so???) is the narrowest and width would not be a problem. You don't see many of them in the US, but the Aussies still like them for IFS swaps (see ozrodders.com)

The later XJ6 is 67.5" outer tire bulge to tire bulge with stock wheels. This may be too wide, and it is a more difficult swap that the earlier XJ6 IFS. I have one modified for my 56 Dodge truck, but it is wider, I think, that your 49.

I also have a later (98 or so) XJ8 suspension. Have not measured, but can if you would like. All of the Jag pieces are well built.

Team 321 makes a narrowed cross member to use pieces from a 2003-10 Crown Vic, but I think the narrowed one would still be too wide.

The Supra suspension is a nice package, but it is about 70" tire bulge to tire bulge with high offset wheels. I made a custom cross member to narrow the Supra suspension 4.75" for a 36 Dodge, but that is a heck of a lot of work.

The Supra is my favorite. Rack. Big brakes. Good geometry. Completed JDM Supra IFS CAN be obtained for $500 or so. Some Lexus racks bolt in to convert from RHS to LHS drive. If you are lucky, you can find an early Lexus SC in a salvage yard.

Hope these comments help.

Bob

Thanks for the input cab. It’s always welcomed.
I did mention a possible Dakota swap. I think it was the second generation where they went to 5 lug wheels instead of the earlier 6 lug versions.
The stock a Dodge frame is plenty sout and other the the minor issue with the front cross member this one appears to be in good shape.
I bookmarked a link to some one doing a sub frame. Don’t remember off hand what they used but claimed to have chopped the dodge frame off where the boxed area starts and slid the sub frame into the box and welded it up.
Going to have to find that one again.
Torchie

Forgot to mention that the Jag IFSs are all rear steer. This likely means that you would need a front sump oil pan for clearance.

I vaguely remember something to the effect that the 5 bolt Dakota can be adapted to the 6 bolt ... but then I am an old guy with fading memory!

Some Dakota frame and swap info here
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/definitive-dakota-frame-swap-list.307020/page-4

Looks like the main issue with swapping the full frame, particularly with your custom, would be getting it low enough w/o having to channel the 49 body.

LOL.
Not channeling this one cb.
I looked for the book marked front frame sub and couldn't fine it but I think it may have used a Dakota front frame. I think the guy said that he cut the Dakota frame off right behind the cab. I'll keep looking.
The thing that you link points to s the fact that most of these frame swaos are being used on trucks and not cars. The height of the 2 wheel drive Dakota is probably not that much different the the Dodge was stock. Nose bleed heaven.:eek:[ddd
Thanks again.
Torchie

Keeping the juice flowing until.....

We talked at length about the grill for my Dodge. Now it's time to talk about Tail lights.
These pics show the stock 49 Dodge Coronet Tail lights.:eek:
I looking at something more custom that I can mould in.
Not really interested in using the tunneled 59 Caddy tail lights.:)
Possibly the 57 Corvette tail lights.
Thoughts and opinions appreciated as always.
Torchie

Attachments

• 1949-dodge-coronet-1.jpg
    1949-dodge-coronet-1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 1949-dodge-coronet-2.jpg
    1949-dodge-coronet-2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 1949-dodge-coronet.jpg
    1949-dodge-coronet.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 16
  • corp_06110_08_z+1957_corvette+rear.jpg
    corp_06110_08_z+1957_corvette+rear.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 15
Those might work up as far forward as you can to match the curve...[P

My thought as well smallfoot. Two things though.....
Usually customs had their taillights lowered from stock position( not that usually matters to me lol) and the 57 Vette lights kind of push out my build time period.
Although, With the Dodge having no skirts or spot lights it is already heading into what was going on in the mid 50’s as far as customs go. More of a sportier look and less of the speed boat( tail dragger) look.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back