vette/3100 AD hybrid

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really cool build, but with that perfect patina and stance,that thing is begging for all of its sheetmetal back on..the big meats on the vette rearend look badass!

Decided in the beginning to build something different. I could visualize what it will look like before I started. The first build(51 3100 on 70 cutlass chassis) I did was more traditional garage truck style.I loved the build on the first truck but to many guidelines I had to follow.I wanted more of a challenge,something different,something sick.I like some of the bobber truck/rat rod style hoodless/fenderless trucks.Some are really works of art.I wanted something beyond the traditional straight axle front or regular GM a arm frontend like olds,chevelle,s10 etc with the skinnies out front.I did'nt want the stretched out front end,want a more stocky look.The cool thing about the vette engine placement is it sits back quite a bit from the ball joints/front end giving that extended front end look to a point.I wanted fat and low.The vette front end is fat and the alum upper/lower arms have that race inspired look.They are thin,strong and with the fat tires out on the end of the suspension comming off that chunky frame(when exsposed) is what I was looking for.I think fat tires front and back look cool.Most of the front end frame you see will be gone.The grill/front end will come back over the front of the engine top and sides a bit to hide the serpentine system.To mount the stock body on the frame,the frame would need to be stretched 20'',did'nt want that.My idea is to make body fit the frame/chassis not the frame/chassis fit the body.I want to keep the vette chassis geometry stock as much as possible.The bed is already cut and will be all of 43'' in length.I will bring headers out over the frame/splice that will dip down and go under the rocker panels and exit between cab and rear tire,big tip of some kind.Looking at fenderwell headers or roadster headers as of now.The patina paint will be gone(somebody sprayed around on the body,has about 4 colors of rattle can on her).Paint is the last thing on the list, maybe matte navy blue(orig color of the truck) or indian bronze,who knows.It wont be a show truck,it wont be comfortable,just another one of my weird ideas brought to life.Love it or hate it,it will be fast and different.

Yeah, been looking at weld up kits and stock clip headers along with fat fender chevy headers.I really need them to sweep back away from the front tire and swoop down along the frame.I have about 18'' between front tire and firewall.I guess I will end up building a set,just have not found a kit that looks like the swept back roadster headers I have seen for the ford engines.the cab/firewall is about 3'' from the back of the head/valve cover and the frame outside is about 10'' from the head/header flange mount and the exhaust ports are about 6'' above the top of the frame.Just gives ya an idea of what I have to play with.Thanks bubba.....

Attachments

• DSCN2193.jpg
    DSCN2193.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 24
Oh, as for idea's,does'nt bother me at all.One of my many faults is too many idea's....I like it here fella's...thanks again OI....

Attachments

• DSCN1947.jpg
    DSCN1947.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN2268.jpg
    DSCN2268.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN2255.jpg
    DSCN2255.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 28
This is what happened when a county mower hit/took out our mailbox and my wife asked me if I had any ideas to fix it.....

Attachments

• building mailbox man (5).jpg
    building mailbox man (5).jpg
    114 KB · Views: 30
  • finished mailman (14).jpg
    finished mailman (14).jpg
    168 KB · Views: 32
These are the headers I used, to do what you're talking about, on my Pro Street 68 Firebird. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-65600/
Swooped back, went over the frame, down along side the frame and inside of the rockers.
These have a good set of straights, bends and collectors and you cut them to make what you want.
Wish I had pics but, I don't. Sorry

Yeah,I wish they would show you what is actually in the kit( picures do not actually represent contents of kit they say) on some of these sites.From the pix they show there is not alot of straights with it.I'll do More research on this kit you used,thanks buddy...

I've got the headers in my shop, I'll get some pics of them tomorrow and show you what can be made :)
In the mean time here's a set I made for a Vega with a 434 small block

IMG_0612Medium.jpg

IMG_0611Medium.jpg

VegaheadersIbuiltMedium.jpg

very nice headers,I went to Hedman's site to see the 65600 kit/specs but it would'nt show specs on the kit.Gonna dig deeper tonight.Some pix would be really helpful.Where did you have them coated?Thanks bubba......

that pile of dead vette body parts is hilarious :D Since your not using the original front sheetmetal, I'm anxious to see your plans for that nosepiece..I definitely love the bobber style trucks and am working on my version of a nose piece for mine at the moment..I do really like your build so far..

WOW

I almost fell asleep. :D No welcome to the site great pics , I don't like to write that much but enjoyed your feed back. Good luck on all your builds. [P [P

Welcome to RRR

Hey Philobeddo great bobber truck. I have in the past scavenged peddle assemblies out of some 60's GM cars and cut them up to mount from the firewall to the dash lower lip. That vette should have a peddle assembly that might work. The booster and master cylinder could then possibly work on the outside of the firewall. If you don't want the booster and master cylinder hanging on the outside it really isn't to hard to make your own under dash set- up. I think I used a 7" booster out of a GM Chevette and mounted a Camaro master cylinder to it. Took some measurements from under the dash and mocked up a bench model out of some scrap stuff. I played around and came up with a bellcrank set-up, some linkage and hung the master cylinder and booster of the side. It has to be beefy to be safe and usable. The pain is filling the master cylinder up under the dash. Just a thought. It may sound crazy but it worked. Good luck Later Steve

Latest posts

Back