Buyer beware! Hoffman group junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

I bought my power window kit off of eBay from a seller called Welder Joe or some such name. At the time, I didn't know it was just simply another storefront for the Hoffman Group of junk dealers. After I found out who I had gotten it from, it was too late to return it, so I figured, what the heck I'd use it. Can't be that bad, right? Well, the naysayers are right, Hoffman stuff is JUNK. I've had mine in about a year,so I did at least get some use from them, but today, I rolled the drivers window down, when I went to roll it back up, it went up about halfway and then it sounded like everything stripped out in the door. Sure enough, it will still roll down, but only go up halfway, then it stops and grinds. I figure the track is stripped.:mad: No way to get replacement parts, can't buy just one side, have to buy a kit for two doors. Think I will go to Speedway next time for their kit. Hope it's better quality. For now, at least it's parked under the carport, drivers side toward the house.

There is a thread on the Pork about the Hoffman Group. I would suggest reading it and becoming familiar with all of Hoffman's aliases. It might save you from having to buy something twice because of their junk. I wish I had of seen the thread before I bought my stuff so I would have known about all the names they trick people with. Now I get to buy something I've already bought and thought I was through with................:mad::mad::mad:

I read the thread on the Hamb, good read, they say you don't know it's the Hoffman group until you get the invoice.

Last edited:
For what ever it may be worth, you can file a complaint with E-Bay.
Or you could bomb the sellers ratings with bad reviews.
Make huge orders to nonexistent entities. Or give them bad payment information. Then when they contact you for the correct information, tell them you changed your mind.
Put up M4M ads on CL and put their phone number in them.
Get creative.
[ddd
:D

Bama, I have put my hands on both sides of the window and pushed up while some one else pushed the button ,, some times that will get it back up ,, just remember not to let it back down till its fixed ..

Skip, it's been over a year since I bought the kit, probably close to two years since it's been in the car over a year now. I'll just have to look closer for my parts from now on and not be so cheap. Cheap is good if it's good stuff, cheap is bad when it's cheap junk. I just wanted to help get the word out on them so none of you guys would end up like I did. My fault for getting to excited over a cheap price, I fell for their sneeky advertising. IIRC, my kit was advertised as a opened display unit without original packaging, when in fact, it was generic China made crap in a plain box. Had I done my research, I might have found out about the many alias that they use. I can't blame anybody but myself for buying their junk, but maybe we can help keep anybody else from falling for their advertising like I did.

Yankee, we tried just what you are suggesting, didn't work. It gets to that one point, the motor grinds, it won't go up any more. Below that point, it works fine up and down. I'm almost sure the track has stripped, and you can't force it up any higher. I have to pull that door panel anyway to do some more adjusting on the hinge, so I'll look at it then.
As long as it isn't raining, it'll be OK since I usually keep the window down anyway in warm weather. Drove it today for the first time since November, was warm and nice today. Still don't have heat/AC, so it will sit until warm weather.....

let us know if you buy the Speedway one. I'm almost at the point for my windows in my 47 Truck. I sure would like to know about that $149.00 pair they have.

Hoffman Group "companies" to steer clear of....

As far as I can tell, this should be at least most, if not all, of the Hoffman group shell companies...........
Helix Suspension:
Autoloc:
Johnny Law Motors:
Zirgo Fans:
Welder Joe on ebay:
Vintage Reproduction Parts:
American Shifter:
Keep it Clean Wiring:
Aurora Gauges:
Trigger Horns:
closeoutautoparts on ebay:
Smooth Rods:
Warehouse 99:
safetboy seat belts:
Just so you know......................... ;)

Doug, that's the one I'm looking at now to replace my junk with. Will be a little while yet, will post on my build thread when I get to replacing them.

Animal, thanks for the list! I was too mad yesterday to go look it up. While you might be OK buying wire loom or non mechanical or non electrical parts from them, anything safety related I'd for sure stay away.

Hey Bama,
I wouldn't do it for real either, but it is fun to think about poetic vengeance every now and then.

We all get stung once in a while. I bought some dropped spindles for my s10 in the dark one time. Great price. Didn't know what I was looking at. They weren't. Still have 'em. Just so I don't forget to pay attention.

"Johnny Law motors" was all over the advertising at the Portland swap a few years ago, and at Portland Roadster show last year, at this point we can be aware of what their last name was, but we may want to look out for what their next name will be, business model stays the same, but change the name and sell the suckers the replacement part. The Hoffman Group, Portland Oregon area.

Skip my Dad bought a car when he was young and it was at night ... when he took a look at it the next day he said he just shook his head ,, it had a chain hooked to the drivers side of the engine because the motor mount was broke and a 2x6 for a transmission cross member. and he said he couldnt of had any coat hangers in his closet , cause they were all up under the car holding stuff on

Latest posts

Back