New Guy looking for information overload!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would stay away from the bodies with a lot of wood like the Chevys before 1936. The Fords will be the most expensive but if you get an off brand, make sure and get a complete body with decent doors. An oddball car makes an interesting build but a 29 Essex with no doors is going to be an exercise in frustration, worth pretty much zip without doors. Even on a Ford, the doors will usually cost you more than the door-less body did.

I agree with Flipper, browse around car shows or buy all of the hotrod literature you can find and look through it, watching for the kind of car that grabs you.
I also agree with Flipper on the creativeness that we put into ratrods that add to the car. It does bother me quite a bit that someone will weld a coyote trap or a cultivator shovel onto the door of a Model A and call that a ratrod. Most of us are not like that though, so we try to have a pleasing looking car.

you could always make a street legal oval track car,

there a blast and very different from the everyday normal stuff[;)

www.facebook.com/groups/161176690732893/

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2476

Later:cool:

That's what I was thinking about doing I have an old quick change rear end, upper and lower arms spindles for them and wide 5 hubs for all for corners. The only thing is I don't know how I would get the old school look with an independent front suspension.

I have a friend who adapted wide five hubs on a straight axle. He's a member here but don't visit very often.

Welcome from the great white north, I am working on a 31 chev 5 window.
The wood in these cars make it difficult to keep everything working right. I welded a million ( exaggeration) cross supports and then took out the wood.
Then welded 1x1 tubing in replacing the wood structure. This was a major job.
Check out my build link
Mike

mine

That's what I was thinking about doing I have an old quick change rear end, upper and lower arms spindles for them and wide 5 hubs for all for corners. The only thing is I don't know how I would get the old school look with an independent front suspension.

my street legal race car has a camaro A-arm style and people love the car, l personally think the IFS would look 0K.

A-arm suspension isn't frowned upon by all builders, especially if you are building a full fendered car. There are many build threads here that are helpful. I especially like ZZ rodders threads. My next project is a 47 chevy coupe, it will be full fendered. You tube is also helpful........

mine

IFS on my fenderless rat is accepted by most every one who sees the car, have not had many neg comments on it.

l like the IFS handling over the straight axle.

it is all personal choice, in the end you have to be happy with the rod you build.

Last edited:
Have agree with skull, most people didn't realize my willys rat had IFS, in my case the thing was the cost of new rotors for the 5 bolt hubs.

Build121_zps6ab76916.jpg

The handling is a big plus, especially with a 2000# car disc brakes and rack and pinon is nice as well.

What ever works for you [cl

Welcome. I am in WI as well. Where are you at? Good luck with the build. I am currently working a 46 chevy truck.

I would never dis someone's fenderless ifs in their presence either but it doesn't mean I'm a huge fan. People are generally nice and polite, whether they agree or not.
And I have found about one person out of a hundred who look at my rod and have any idea what they are even looking at. 9 out of 10 ask me if it's a 350 chevy and it's actually a sbf.

the car club/car show called Billetproof won't let me enter because of my out in the open IFS, there kind of anal about who can be in there shows, but they are putting it on so if they don't want my rat it's there loss. l still drive the snout outta it and enjoy her a bunch.

however, the city after the show puts on a huge cruiz in where you can make the 4 mile loop, 2 miles up the one way then 2 miles back down the other one way. l go to that and have a blast.

Latest posts

Back