Another what would you do thread.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys! :)

Look at that! Daves got a '54 Pontiac rat with a v8 Chevy. [cl
I'm proud of you bud.

Ya know, it kinda sits in there real nice! The trans mount shouldn't be too hard to do, but the engine mounts are going to have to be made. Probably use the front bolt holes down on the block to bolt to the front cross member.

One step further than a day ago....nice work....[cl

Yeah, really got a lot done lately! It's great! Who knows, I might just get to drive it one day !?!?! :eek: :rolleyes: :D [dr

Life has a purpose? Who knew!

Now you have a purpose in life. :D

Hahaha! Always had one, just meanders hither and yon and is flexible enough to go with changes that happen. :D

Speaking of, I may have a more appropriate engine for this car. It's more of a hot rod engine rather than throwing in the first available unit. And it means less wiring and hassle with that computer junk from the Suburban. I want to be able to open the hood and have people ogle instead of "oh yeah, just another modern 350). Or better yet, go without a hood. :cool:

Oh yeah, and ya know that S-10 chassis we traded for, earthman? The one that is going to have fenders and a hood? This engine will drop right in there... Good place to hide it, I figure. ;)

You don't need the computer on that sbc. All you need is a intake and carb, and a points style or HEI distributor. HEI only takes one 12 volt hot wire. Pull all that electronic junk off that engine and go basic! [cl

I would love to do that !!!

You don't need the computer on that sbc. All you need is a intake and carb, and a points style or HEI distributor. HEI only takes one 12 volt hot wire. Pull all that electronic junk off that engine and go basic! [cl

Yup, that would be ideal, and I think I will! Need to yank and de-grease it anyway, so might as well take all that crap off at the same time.

Been looking for parts on craigslist for cheap, even though that is more than what I have currently. But maybe something will sell and make it possible. I heard about a distributor at a local hot rod shop that is around $60, but you have to check them at the store before you know you got a good one. Sounds flaky to me!

The "other engine" (since I don't have a proper Poncho lump) is a 350 Chevy with Edelbrock high rise manifold, Carter AFB, chrome Edelbrock valve covers and some spiffy wrapped fuel lines. It would just glimmer amid that 60 year old sheet metal. I'm not big on bling, but it would sure look good in there. The only "problem" with that is that it is currently in my '78 pickup with the bad tranny, and would mean at least two more engine swaps!

I could steal the "pretty" parts, but then have to wait on replacements for the truck. And since I already have a rebuilt (he said) TH350, it seems MUCH easier to fix that and have a running hot rod truck.

I guess the hunt is on for an intake, carb, and distributor ... Anyone? :D

Last edited:
The "other engine" (since I don't have a proper Poncho lump) is a 350 Chevy with Edelbrock high rise manifold, Carter AFB, chrome Edelbrock valve covers and some spiffy wrapped lines. It would just glimmer amid that 60 year old sheet metal. :)

P8010233_zps5m5y7pn5.jpg

OH yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about. [dr

Gave the other one a pressure wash and will start pulling unnecessary wires and junk off it. ;)

Last edited:
Buying a used carb and intake for $140. Then hunt down a distributor. In case anyone needed to know. LOL

Anyone want a TBI setup ??? :)

Got the Edelbrock 600 carb and Weiend dual plane manifold. Should be fine for a street cruiser. Also bought a set of Hedman headers to replace the bent ones on the '78 pickup. A good day for buying! Now I need to SELL some stuff. :D

BTW, looking for an HEI for SBC in working condition and (hopefully) cheap (?).

Last edited:
Much better ...

Got the intake and carb installed, got a distributor, still need a coil and some motor mounts and wiring and all kinds of peripheral stuff, but ... progress!

P8040243_zps4ruhhs2w.jpg

:)

A couple of big things too, ...

Yep little stuff now.

Still need to make some engine and tranny mounts, then driveshaft and all that other nonsense. LOL :D

Speaking of engine mounts, I am probably going to have to use the two open bolt holes on each side of the crank pulley as mounting points, since the steering box is in the way of any "normal" place to use. I'll need about 8" of vertical mounting from the front cross member to the bolt holes. Any recommendation for material to use? I have some 2" square tubing and some 1/4" flat steel, but open to offers or design ideas ... :)

Last edited:
Yeah buddy!!!

Here are a few ideas that would work with your engine right up by the front cross member.

https://www.google.com/search?q=57+...NKIOVyASfk4LwCg&ved=0CGUQsAQ&biw=1680&bih=955

That's some helpful stuff Skip. Just choose your style Dave. :cool:

Oh yeah, now we're talkin'!!! This one looks easy to make from some angle iron, and simple is always best, right?

004-1.jpg

Also did some test fitting of the Hedman headers I have and there are going to be SERIOUS clearance issues with the steering box, which is mounted inside the frame, and HUGE !!! Kinda wishing I had kept one of those stovebolt engines I had ... I suppose some block hugging headers would work, or the originals which I no longer have, but that would cost money... Hindsight, as they say ... :eek:

Ya know, that engine and trans will drop right into the '59 pickup. Maybe that's the way to go for now - do the easiest first and put this one out to pasture for a bit? Hmmm ...

Last edited:
Oh yeah, now we're talkin'!!! This one looks easy to make from some angle iron, and simple is always best, right?

004-1.jpg

Also did some test fitting of the Hedman headers I have and there are going to be SERIOUS clearance issues with the steering box, which is mounted inside the frame, and HUGE !!! Kinda wishing I had kept one of those stovebolt engines I had ... I suppose some block hugging headers would work, or the originals which I no longer have, but that would cost money... Hindsight, as they say ... :eek:

Ya know, that engine and trans will drop right into the '59 pickup. Maybe that's the way to go for now - do the easiest first and put this one out to pasture for a bit? Hmmm ...
Always happy to help.

Dave, Stay the course. Those of us with Automotive ADD feel your pain.

Watch CL for the headers you need. I have found cheap headers that worked in the past. Nice thing about cheap headers is that they are already ugly and you don't have to make 'em that way.

One step at a time. Motor mounts now, finish what you can, when the parts you need show up at the right price, its time to do them. Its not like we are on a schedule.

shoot yea you can lower your engine to the spot you need it then make the template out of card board. and tape them together. then take it back a part , and trace them out on the metal..

Always happy to help.

Dave, Stay the course. Those of us with Automotive ADD feel your pain.

Watch CL for the headers you need. I have found cheap headers that worked in the past. Nice thing about cheap headers is that they are already ugly and you don't have to make 'em that way.

One step at a time. Motor mounts now, finish what you can, when the parts you need show up at the right price, its time to do them. Its not like we are on a schedule.

Yup, you are right. Feeling the "heat" of upcoming summer hibernation when practically nothing will happen. I guess I thought this would be much easier than it actually is!? Takes time I hadn't realized was necessary. But hey, it's still fun, no matter how frustrating things get. :)

shoot yea you can lower your engine to the spot you need it then make the template out of card board. and tape them together. then take it back a part , and trace them out on the metal..

I was playing with some ideas yesterday, and yeah, that would be the way to do it once the right place is found with clearance and room for all. ;)

Dave, I hope you take this constructively! It's really alot easier if you can form a plan of what you really want first. I think everybody here has times when parts are out beyond the pocketbook. Those are times to do your planning for when that next part shows up. Form a plan and work in that direction rather than getting bogged down with one way and switching directions. This present issue may be simpler to fix by changing up the steering a little rather than re-inventing the mounts and then doing something different with the headers. You've got enough projects around to go in several directions and your mind is trying to do that. Just get focused, there's enough talent and know how around to help you do anything here! Don't get in a hurry. It's been said before, there is no real schedule here and if you are like most of us, you can't do squat good if you're in a hurry.

Latest posts

Back