off topic?? tv? street racing ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exador

I watch, and I assume some of you watch, "street outlaws" tv show. I watch it as a "made for tv entertainment" show. As I am a geezer, grey beard, (70) I grew up in the era of drag racing on country roads. Assumption says some of you grew in this period of time too. As I did and some of you did, maybe some still do, we all done our fair share of street racing.

I just read a yahoo new article about this show. A lot of condomnation about this show. Now most who are vaguely familiar with go fast cars can see thru this tv show. Example, street racers with portable high powered lights setting along streets or roads. Now in my youth we never had these things. Show is supposedly "reality" ??? Reality tv is a gut busting laughable thing. Scripted out the ass.

Are there anyone that thinks these are real? You can easily see thru these.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nhra-cracks-down-on-the-dumbest-fake-street-racing-show-1688422495

I don`t know why I posted this? Does tv producers thing that everyone who watches these are so damn ignorant as to believe these are real?

I feel mo` gooder now!

I am 62, and agree with you totally...I watched this show once and could see right through it....That said, do you think that Pawn Stars and American Pickers is not scripted too?....of course they are, but they get the ratings and are made interesting....basically, good "entertainment"

Stroker McGurk

I have not seen or heard your name for many, many yrs. Glad to see it is still alive and well. I am trying to remember where it came from. I remember it was a cartoon character.

Would`ya refresh my ole memory? Was it Honest Charlie?

Yes I agree, all we are, are numbers on a ratings chart.

Last edited:
Read where the NHRA is going to revoke the licenses of anyone who races on the show. Evidently they race at NHRA sanctioned events.

scripted or not I love watching the cars, they have some pretty nice rides on there, could do without the drama, they should show more of the wrenching that goes on

NHRA has about 1/8 of the people watching their qualifying and racing on TV, that is why they are ****ed. I gave up my license a good while back because every year they came up with something new that you HAD TO BUY before you could get your license renewed. As far as the show, I like watching it but don't you think after it was on TV a few times, all the trailers and noise they would get busted more often? I would think after about 6 pairs bring them off there would be several cops show up. I've seen them get warnings for stuff that you'd get put under the jail for. Still fun to watch though.

bruno I heard that too.. and they are supposed to be street cars ?? or just drag cars racing on the street ? But I will watch it ,,, it is interesting .. cant believe the money they got in them

Those are Top Sporstman and Pro Mod cars that they run on the street. I did more than my share of street racing way back in the day. We were always watching for the cops to show up. I don't watch it much, because of all the drama.

If some TV biggy wanted to sponsor my twin turbo big block,
big tire , race car and willing to hang lights on the street...block
traffic......scripted or not I 'm in ...sounds like a blast

I watch that show too but even Mrs Tripper said there's no way they're doing that on the street without someone's permission! :eek: They do have some pretty fast cars but they're no street cars or why would they trailer them out on a back road to test drive them? :eek:

Street racing is done with "street cars"!

BoB

I don't watch much TV. But I spend way too much time on the internet. :rolleyes:

As for street racing, I agree that it is for street cars. I catch myself way to ofter thinking, "I know I can take that guy over there in the other lane." [ddd

Even though those are pretty much full drag cars and there's fake drama thrown in, and there has to be permision for the street racing to happen, it's fun to watch. They are fast cars and they get them to hook up on the street pretty well. That isn't easy.

I'm amazed at the lack of LE...

cops show up to "harass" the races on test hits but hours of "street racing" go unnoticed?? Yeah...that's reality....lol...
Yep, did a ton of street racing...can you imagine putting something like those cars on the street in 66 or 67....Woodward, Gratiot, Grosebeck and VanDyke (our big street racing areas) would have been a real racing capital....right....they'd have the roads blocked off and things shut right down....no way, no how....12 and 13 second cars were killer then and the cops paid a ton of attention....heck they started putting cops in the drive in's for crying out loud....most "races" were from one light to the next or from a 20 roll....and they didn't last long......6 and 7 second "street" cars?? those things are race cars....with lights....lol....Ok...done ranting....:D

cops show up to "harass" the races on test hits but hours of "street racing" go unnoticed?? Yeah...that's reality....lol...
Yep, did a ton of street racing...can you imagine putting something like those cars on the street in 66 or 67....Woodward, Gratiot, Grosebeck and VanDyke (our big street racing areas) would have been a real racing capital....right....they'd have the roads blocked off and things shut right down....no way, no how....12 and 13 second cars were killer then and the cops paid a ton of attention....heck they started putting cops in the drive in's for crying out loud....most "races" were from one light to the next or from a 20 roll....and they didn't last long......6 and 7 second "street" cars?? those things are race cars....with lights....lol....Ok...done ranting....:D
Nailed it, Sarge. All the hot cars siting in McDonald's, boys in blue cruisen' through, given us all the EYE. Lots of "street races" were just across the intersection. :D Good times.

i don't watch the show, american chopper did me in on shows like that. i'm 54 well in a couple weeks, and have done my share of street racing too. as i have gotten older maybe a burnout or two, maybe stretch it out a couple of gears but no more street racing. i would say the track but i haven't really been to the track in years.

Speaking of the old days...there was this car that was famous...and quick

Silver%20bullet.ashx

This 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX, nicknamed “The Silver Bullet” and piloted by Jimmy Addison, could rip off 10.5-second quarter-mile runs and was the undisputed King of Woodward. (Photo courtesy of Louis Kimery)

Latest posts

Back