New Guy looking for information overload!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin51

First time poster here I am looking and building a coupe style rat rod with my ole man and am looking for information. What's the best books and magazines to find information and terminology. We are very handy and have all the tools we have been racing for years and are getting out of racing and want to still have a project and build a rat rod. Also the main point of interest is we want to build a custom frame from the sound of it sounds like it would be easier and less of a headache. Where can I find info and plans on building a custom frame? I attached a couple pic of the style rat rod we would like to build so if you have any info or insight on this kind of build and what bodies I should be looking for please let me know the more info the merrier.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 38
Welcome to RRR, the "Alice's Restaurant" of build forums.....you can find anything you want at Alice's Restaurant...:D
Seriously, cruise the "Builds" section. There's so much talent here there's nothing that can't be done! Most of the guys doing builds that post them also give a good photo gallery as they go.

Welcome to RRR from lower Alabama.. this will be your overload place . if you dont get an answer real quick ,, dont worry thats just our Geniuses at work ,, this bunch on here can find 2 needles in a haystack .. I use them all the time :D . If im stuck I get good help and most of the time better ideas ....

Welcome from Northern Michigan.
From the pics that you posted you will find more than one build thread on here that has frame ideas for you.
If you have a body to begin with that will help you on the frame dimensions.
Lots of people use wooden 2x4's to build a mock up frame then transfer it over to 2x4 rectangular tubing.
Ask lots of questions as the knowledge pool is very deep here.
Torchie

As been said before, you'll get all you need here.
Start a build thread and ask questions. Someone will answer them for you.
Use the Search bar at the top of every thread to find what you want too.
All of the links at the bottom of our posts will lead you to some great finds ;)
VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Welcome from Tejas! There are plenty of examples in the builds section... try cruisin' through there!

BoB

Hi from Oregon,
We do it out here too. There is so much good information here you will spend too much time just reading and stealing ideas. Except you can't steal what is freely given. This is a great bunch of gear-heads here.

Welcome to RRR

Welcome to RRR, the "Alice's Restaurant" of build forums.....you can find anything you want at Alice's Restaurant...:D
Seriously, cruise the "Builds" section. There's so much talent here there's nothing that can't be done! Most of the guys doing builds that post them also give a good photo gallery as they go.

Just stay away from bench "W"

Wow thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!!! I have been browsing the build thread some really good stuff on there. Where would a guy start out looking for a tudor or old sedan body/car? I have tried craigslist can't find anything in the Wisconsin area??????? [S

Wow thanks for the warm welcome guys!!!!! I have been browsing the build thread some really good stuff on there. Where would a guy start out looking for a tudor or old sedan body/car? I have tried craigslist can't find anything in the Wisconsin area??????? [S
21willys travels all over looking for stuff. You might contact him.

Happy hunting.

ghhgk.jpg

I dont know if this is a good deal or not but its in Washington so thats far from you .. and he still has it as of this morning I knew you said about a sedan but I just seen this maybe some one else may be interested

My best recommendation would be to find the biggest show within driving distance....and go look at some cars to find out what you REALLY like.

Talk to the owners, sit in some cars, see if they will take you for a short drive. Once you figure out what you like, crawl all over it and study it....take hundreds of pics (big stuff and fine details).

The cool thing about rats is the art that people build into their cars ....i'm not talking about do-dads stuck onto a car, but where people improve the form and function of the car. It isn't about cash, it is about the craft.

21willys travels all over looking for stuff. You might contact him.

Happy hunting.

Thanks man!

Yep I have a few things for sale. Mostly truck cabs right now. But I do travel all over and can usually find some deals out west. My numbers below. Shoot me a text or call if ya find something in the southwest that interest ya!

And welcome to RRR!

Latest posts

Back