Nova's motor getting tired so I'm thinking about one of these!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
Probably a great engine but I would think 425 hp could be obtained a lot cheaper and still maintain the reliability.

Probably a great engine but I would think 425 hp could be obtained a lot cheaper and still maintain the reliability.

Since the Nova is my daily I want something quick & hassle free. Out with the old... in with the new! I could have the old motor machined etc & do it myself but that takes even more time since I'm out in the boons! I'll do that at my leisure once I get the old motor out & use it for another project. Plus... this one comes with everything except carb, stater & water pump.

BoB

I don't think you could EVER beat that price, I've installed a couple of crate motor's in recent projects.....there's no way you could ever piece together something for that kind of money. Go for it, and enjoy the peace of mind!

i replaced the ford 302 in my rod in one day
the next morning i started breaking it in.[cl

it was cheap and came with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty
i bought it from o-reillys because i figured those stores are all over the country
$1050 with my core

I'm in [P [P [P
Trip, see what it would cost to have a hydraulic roller stuffed in it instead of the flat tappet [dr
No chance of loosing a lobe that way due to no zinc in the oil :cool:

I'm in [P [P [P
Trip, see what it would cost to have a hydraulic roller stuffed in it instead of the flat tappet [dr
No chance of loosing a lobe that way due to no zinc in the oil :cool:

Iron... that was my only hang up. Not a big fan of flat tappets... wiped too many of them & am a big roller fan!

BoB

You can't build one for that. I think it's a great idea and not a bad warranty but I'd understand the letter of that warranty so they didn't have a loophole to weasel out if you ever had a problem.

I must be crazy... I don't see how you guys can't build 400 hp for less then $3500. 400 hp isn't that much in today's performance world and can be achieved affordably and reliably.

I'm not saying the crate engines aren't the best deal for some guys. I'm just saying a 400 hp engine can be built for a lot less.

Here's a few examples. They cut a lot of corners but came in WAY under $3500.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/speed-on-a-budget-build-a-400hp-chevy-ls-motor-for-und-1125469009

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/sucp-0910-chevy-350-engine-build/

Last edited:
I must be crazy... I don't see how you guys can't build 400 hp for less then $3500. 400 hp isn't that much in today's performance world and can be achieved affordably and reliably.

I'm not saying the crate engines aren't the best deal for some guys. I'm just saying a 400 hp engine can be built for a lot less.

Here's a few examples. They cut a lot of corners but came in WAY under $3500.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/speed-on-a-budget-build-a-400hp-chevy-ls-motor-for-und-1125469009

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/project-cars/sucp-0910-chevy-350-engine-build/

I think you might be missing a couple things. The first engine is still 119,000 mile bottom end and with both it is a lot of used parts and sweat equity. We all know we can't get back the time we put into a build but that doesn't mean our time doesn't have value. I still say you can't do an all new build for any less.

What I gathered from what Tripper said is, he wants the ease of the R&R so he can get back to driving sooner.
I done some calculations and there's only around $500 to $700 more, for a crate engine apposed to rebuilding what you have. Also, it's a 383 and not a 350.
Then he has the removed engine to rebuild for another project. BONUS!!!!

Speedway wants $4200 for a comparable roller motor. I've gone the crate motor route twice. Upgrade the crate before installing and it works out nicely on time. Plus you have the other motor for another project.

Well... slight change of direction. After Old Iron mentioned the flat tappet cam I remembered the Year One crate motor I threw in the Chevelle B4 I went to the LS3. It was a great motor & dyno'd 415hp & had a roller cam. It's the motor I'll be putting in the Crosley altered. Never had a lick of trouble out of it!

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964-72-chevelle-monte-carlo-el-camino/ct350pc1

I've seen the magazine articles on how to build a 400hp SBC for $1000 & think that's like building a rat rod for $3000! By the time you have the machine work done, new pistons, new cam & head work... how much is that?! Much less the time spent.

I'll rework the motor I pull out at my leisure... but for my daily...

My *main* priority is reliability & ease of swap. I hate breaking down & the extra $$$ is worth it to me! I have a friend that's always buying some piece of crap & trying to fix it up on the cheap & after several years of going to Lonestar Round Up... he's yet to make it without breaking down. Last year he left at 5pm Friday & got there at 5:30am Sat. morn & had to call a friend to rescue him in the middle of the night (NO... it wasn't me)! It's a 2 hr drive from Houston... don't wanna be that guy!

BoB

I can remember a time...

My *main* priority is reliability & ease of swap. I hate breaking down & the extra $$$ is worth it to me! I have a friend that's always buying some piece of crap & trying to fix it up on the cheap & after several years of going to Lonestar Round Up... he's yet to make it without breaking down. Last year he left at 5pm Friday & got there at 5:30am Sat. morn & had to call a friend to rescue him in the middle of the night (NO... it wasn't me)! It's a 2 hr drive from Houston... don't wanna be that guy!

BoB

When none of us worried about breaking down going to or from anywhere...lol..my my how getting old sure changes your view on that one!! Me included.....

I would check ATK or just scroll through a summit magazine. Lots of options. Maybe something with better internals.

Stock 6.0L LS style chevy truck motor with carb intake, headers and MSD ignition is good for 425 HP. You can build that for under $2500... add a cam and springs for $400 and it is 485HP...swap to L92 heads ($800 new loaded) and it is 550 HP...last combo comes in at about $4k...[cl

Stock 6.0L LS style chevy truck motor with carb intake, headers and MSD ignition is good for 425 HP. You can build that for under $2500... add a cam and springs for $400 and it is 485HP...swap to L92 heads ($800 new loaded) and it is 550 HP...last combo comes in at about $4k...[cl

And throw in a decent turbo set up???:D

Then you need to worry about engine mounts, probably the transmission and transmission mounts or just an adapter plate. Doesn't really fit into Tripper's criteria of ease of swap.

Latest posts

Back