Nova's motor getting tired so I'm thinking about one of these!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you need to worry about engine mounts, probably the transmission and transmission mounts or just an adapter plate. Doesn't really fit into Tripper's criteria of ease of swap.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the motor mount plates for about $30 and the flywheel kit for about $160. I'm sure jfg has better info then me.

Then you need to worry about engine mounts, probably the transmission and transmission mounts or just an adapter plate. Doesn't really fit into Tripper's criteria of ease of swap.

I think Tripper's intent is an easy in/out swap with a fresh motor and rooting through a junk yard for a motor out of a wrecked car/truck isn't in the cards!

Also think installing an LS in a Nova is a little more complicated than in a bigger car. Oil pans are a problem with them too!

Toad

I think Tripper's intent is an easy in/out swap with a fresh motor and rooting through a junk yard for a motor out of a wrecked car/truck isn't in the cards!

Also think installing an LS in a Nova is a little more complicated than in a bigger car. Oil pans are a problem with them too!

Toad

My point exactly!

21willys is right on with the transdapt motor plates and all you need is the center crank extension for the flywheel for about $30. Header flange is different and you would need to cut and modify the pan. The motor is shorter, narrower and lighter than the SBC. To me that is cheap modifications for the HP and reliability gain. But everyone has a different opinion as to what they are comfortable tackling and what they consider inexpensive.

All that being said I will probably swap in a running mild 350 SBC I already have into the 87 Monte SS that is already set up for it so I can drive it / sell it. I constantly fight the urge to go with the 454BBC, 6.0L L92 headed motor or 5.3L turbo motor (all of which I already have) because they all involve more work, time, money than just a weekend getting it going again...[P

Just to clarify guys... I realize that a ls motor probably isn't the best plan for trippers goals. I am just amazed at how many guys didn't think you could get 400 hp reliably on a budget of a lot less then $3500 or $4000.

Latest posts

Back