off topic?? tv? street racing ??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, here is my take on the show, and I do watch it. Certainly it has a lot of phoneyness about it, such as them saying they are out of a public road racing, and we can see the bright lights strung all the way down the quarter, but compared to some of the dumb car shows on TV (Car Rescue for example :rolleyes:) it isn't all that bad.

They do keep the drama to a minimum, and it has some funny moments (like Farm Truck and his sidekick driving that hearse so it looked like no one was driving :D) It also promotes an illegal activity, and I wonder how that has impacted people to go out and do it themselves, and that is not good.

But it is just TV, and we have to accept that the people who produce the show are going to do things to make it look real, when we who know better can see through it all. I do watch each new episode every Monday, and look forward to seeing it.

Don

Speaking of the old days...there was this car that was famous...and quick

Silver%20bullet.ashx

This 1967 Plymouth Belvedere GTX, nicknamed “The Silver Bullet” and piloted by Jimmy Addison, could rip off 10.5-second quarter-mile runs and was the undisputed King of Woodward. (Photo courtesy of Louis Kimery)

I ran around in a black 66 Belvedere II, original Hemi car with all the emblems and the B&M Hydro still in it but a 383. It was off the strip in Sioux City when it was new and a sharp looking black, jacked up in the front a little. Had tons of fun going to other towns on Sat. night, couldn't buy a race,lol. Had more than one local hot shoe take a right when the light changed. I'd power brake it and do a slow roll with the back tires waiting for the light, pretty intimidating car.
10s would take some skilled driving because 7 inches of tire was all that would fit in those wheel wells.

I watch it and look forward to it. I do understand a lot of it is scripted but there is a lot that isn't I am sure. what I hate is the commercials but someone has to pay for it I guess. Its just fun real or not. Actually its more real than a lot of the cars shows like that BS Foose show.

I wonder what the people on that show are paid? They obviously aren't doing it for free, and I have heard that the guys on Duck Dynasty are paid $200K per episode.

Don

I think the problem is not what those of us intelligent car guys think of the show, as we know it's fake. It's more the perception from less-aware folk in the general populace that may believe it's 100% (or any percentage really) real and they're doing this illegally on open public roads.

I think that's more what the NHRA is concerned with regarding this show, and myself as well. If the public thinks hot rodders (because they honestly don't know the difference between hot rods and drag cars) are openly racing on the street and filming it, we get labelled as a rebel part of society.

I think the problem is not what those of us intelligent car guys think of the show, as we know it's fake. It's more the perception from less-aware folk in the general populace that may believe it's 100% (or any percentage really) real and they're doing this illegally on open public roads.

I think that's more what the NHRA is concerned with regarding this show, and myself as well. If the public thinks hot rodders (because they honestly don't know the difference between hot rods and drag cars) are openly racing on the street and filming it, we get labelled as a rebel part of society.

Agree with you both!

:D Heaven forbid that anyone point the "rebel" finger at any of us. :eek: I am sure we are upstanding mainstream citizens, one and all. :rolleyes:

me too, like you

I like and watch street outlaws. Like many of you I doooo, realize it is scripted and drama thrown in for good measure. But I still watch it anyway.

My assumption is their on a safe and secure site. Medics at standby. These are gotta have items. The production and filming co. have (probably) a comfortable budget to use. With out safety factors at hand they could not film. Probably got ins. too.

To me it is a "made for tv entertainment" program. I feel its a decent thing to kill time in evenings when your tired.

Latest posts

Back