Suicide front end pics

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21tat

I'm planning on adding friction shocks to my suicide front end. I have a dropped axle, spring behind t-bucket style setup. I just can't find enough close up pics of these to figure out what works best. I've seen the ones sold by Speedway Motors and others, but may have some fabricated. Just need to understand how they work. Thanks for any help here in advance.

Basically, you have a mounting plate solidly mounted to the frame, an arm mounted
to the axle or radius rod by a link and free to move at the central bolt pivot point,
and a "friction" material between the two (leather, nylon, clutch disk type material)
and the central pivot bolt, which is tightened to adjust the amount of tension or resistance.
You may also see a spring of various styles (flat, coil) on the pivot bolt to help with
tension adjustment.

Try this link to Mac's rats, lots of bracket options and arm length options.

http://www.macsratz.com/Parts Page.htm

I'll find some pictures for you.. '22

Last edited:
Shocking Ideas....

Here are some different mounting set ups,

AntiqueNationals088.jpg

AntiqueNationals086.jpg

These shocks are for sale on eBay a lot.
I bought a set, got him to change to black nylon from the white.
Do a search for “friction shocks” in vintage auto parts.

17a0_1.jpg

d209_1.jpg

These are ones I have seen for sale various places.

Voodoo Larry’s
5a1.jpg

Speedway
135-6021_L.jpg

And “somewhere” else..
Shock_2.jpg

Macs Ratz sells a great friction shock set up. I have a buddy who has a 36 International truck built by Macs. He really likes the friction shocks.

Thunder1

so friction shocks are pretty simple right? i think i will just build some if i am seeing this correctly. (alot kooler than pic looks like) here (paint)

Attachments

• untitledgfnf.jpg
    untitledgfnf.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 55
If you look on Page 6 of the Builds section for the thread with 1925 Dodge in the title, you can see the friction shocks I made and how I mounted them to the axle instead of the frame. I ran out of room on the frame so I simply moved the shocks to the axle. The shocks have friction material from Total Performance, the T Bucket company and I used sbs valve springs for tension.

Thanks Ken. These pics will help. I have actually been checking out all of the above, just have to decide what fits my application best. Those star shaped springs look cool, but I haven't found where to purchase those without the whole kit. I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back