straight 6 engine ideas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

Thinking about my next project...would like to build another speedster type car but with a more modern powertrain on a stretched T-bucket chassis.

Anyway I really want a straight 6, preferrably something that revs nice and sounds like a vintage racer, and definitely a 4 speed.

Ideas I had:

Ford 240 - 300 six. Only problem there is they are mostly bolted to 3 speeds.

Chevy stovebolt - same problem, 3 speeds

Datsun 240z motor (gasp!) - 4 speed and a 7,000 rpm redline!

I like the looks of an american pushrod six but they really dont rev much past 3600 rpm. Any other six pots I'm not thinking about??

Chevy 292 or a ford 300. Best two inline 6 engines I would say. They dont rev like you want them to. But you can make big numbers with either of these.

And a t5 or a muncie 4 speed will bolt up to them....

Not to divert your attention from the Big3 6cyls.
How about this for your consideration, Studebaker flathead 6 bolted to a S10 T96 5spd or 5spd. Camaro.

Cathcart Studebaker specializes in beefed up Studie flathead 6's, multi carbed, finned aluminum head, etc.. These engines can be turbo'd quite easily with junkyard turbos from mid size Chrysler/Dodge cars.

Here's their home page link.
http://www.cathcartsstudebaker.com/

Link to their engines.
http://www.cathcartsstudebaker.com/featured.html

engine.jpg

Here's a fellow that turbo'd his flat 6 with junkyard parts.
Most of the photo links are broken but the build story is still there.
http://turbostude.com/buildingts.htm

Last edited:
I don't like antiques, but I would do a Hudson flatty 308 if I could come into one handy.

I have done a Chevy 261 and a 250, Both were entertaining, but I was really wanting a bigger bang for the buck--they are kinda Xpensive to 'soup up'--about the same as an SBC, but with out the same results. The 261 was in a 50 Chevy Coupe I built In highschool--it had that 'banger bellow'..The 250 was in a T bucket with about a 5-1 rear gear twin Holley/Webbers and a PAW cam--did bigtime holeshots at the stoplights, but struggled at 55 , and got rotten MPGs. It suprized some pretty potent hotrods when My oldest sons GF was street racing it. It was fun to watch the little 5' tall gal that looked 16, whipping up on the boyz...

The 300 Ford has a lot going for it--major lower end and a buncha CIs -Sams Idea about a Turbo, or even a twin turbo, would be a kick--(done a little TCing-I like them). It was Hudsons design before they got bought out, and Ford snagged it. (Good street creds)

I have a Toyota 6ME I've been meaning to use--Twin OHC--2800CC. I'd like to build cam covers and EFI intakes to make it look like a Miller/Offy.. They were in Cressidas and Supras in the 80s--some Turbocharged..

I guess What I'm sayin is --I like em ALL :)..

PA41

^ sure did,,,,230 & 250 ci versions in Tempests & LeMans from 66-69 & Firebirds from 67-69.

I'm a 300 fan. Any tranny that will bolt to a small block Ford will bolt up to it The cylinder head is the drawback. Even ported as far as safe they still flow kinda crappy. There are lots of good 6 bangers out there but they cost just as much to built or hotrod as a V8 and just won't keep up, dollar for dollar.
I always liked the 270/302 Jimmy but they are expensive to build.
I was eyeballing an old rear driveToyota wagon in a junkyard that had a cool looking straight 6.
Or how about a Nissan 3.3 turbo diesel?

Lots of good input! I forgot that you could bolt a t5 up to a 300 six. That's the transmission that came in all those millions of F-150s in the 90s right?

I don't really care about big HP, just like the look and sound of a 6 for this type of thing.

how about jeep 258 4.0 six, you can get them in fuel injected. alot of jeep people pull them for chevy small blocks. they also mount to a five speed

straight six ideas

I would go with the 6 cylinder Chevy. I helped build a Falcon with a 3 speed in it (tough gettin parts for), then I built a 68 Camaro with a 250 6 cylinder hooked to a 3 speed. We used to run oval dirt track stuff back in the early 1980's. Chevys just seemed to be able get parts for and everything used to fit, the Ford stuff just didnt seem to work as well.
Thats my 2 cents thats all.

One thing about the 300, they made them until 96 so there are plenty of them around and speed parts areadily available. Log onto fordsix forums and see what some guys are doing with them. I have owned stock 250 chevys and they are a fine engine, lots you can do and some small block parts fit them. I think they use 283 pistons and rods.
I like the looks of the older engines better. The 235 chevy is an excellant engine and they still make speed parts for them too.
Or just be weird and find one of those old 500 something cubic inch International truck engines from the early 50s. I just sold a Nicson twin carb intake for one last year.
\ Also if you do some research on Fordsix you will see they do a lot with the smaller Ford six, there is even an aftermarket croos flow head for them and lots of cool stuff from the Aussies.

Latest posts

Back