Return line info needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanksbe2

I'm told that a gas tank needs to have a return line. I'm planning on using something unconventional as a gas tank. Can someone point me to a good explanation of the basics needed when making a gas tank?

I'll be using a low pressure electric fuel pump for a carbed motor.

And, what's a vent line and how do I make that?

The return line is mostly used with fuel injection, the fuel log have pressure in all the time and the fuel needs to go somewhere if it's not used by the engine so it sends it back to the tank. There are some regular fuel pumps that have a return port for what i'm not sure, ended up with one and when i fired the engine gas went every where, i just caped it and all worked fine. [S
If you don't vent the tank it will vapor lock and not let fuel out. If you using a convetional cap for and older modle it will be vented, new are not because epa is worried we'll kill the air.:D
Good luck hope this helps. [;)

I'm told that a gas tank needs to have a return line. I'm planning on using something unconventional as a gas tank. Can someone point me to a good explanation of the basics needed when making a gas tank?

I'll be using a low pressure electric fuel pump for a carbed motor.

And, what's a vent line and how do I make that?

I know you are green and you are going in about 750 different directions right now, so just reel it in a little bit. If you have zero build experience then the last thing you should be thinking about tackling is a fuel tank, a.k.a. BOMB GO BOOM. Not trying to rain on your parade here, but when I hear "unconventional gas tank" and "how to" questions in the same statement I cringe a little. Maybe just a nice spun aluminum fuel cell or something to get you started? Rome wasn't built in a day...

When building a gas tank, You weld it all together, fill it with gasoline, hold a lit match or a lighter and move it around all the seams and if you are here to tell about it you have passed the test and can use it. Oh just kidding. be very careful and don't try this at home.

I admire your enthusiasm but, from the questions you've asked, I would highly recommend having a journeyman build/modify the tank and you being observant to the process.
This is not the part to be learning on.

Latest posts

Back