Rattle Can Paint Jobs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GulfCoastGasser

I am starting a “rattle can” kustomization on my old truck for two reasons: 1) I am sick of seeing the same solid color and 2) I am cheap! :p I am planning on adding some colored side panels, a hood panel and painting the top of the cab.

I will be happy however it turns out, but we have all seen some bad rattle can home jobs. But was I was interested in was seeing the best paint jobs or paint customizations done at home with only rattle cans. Heck, I see a lot of young artist painting pictures at fairs with only rattle cans now (you know the solar system stuff!)
images

Help me get inspired – so show me your best rattle can paint jobs.:D

Nothing special or colorful, but it was all rattle can (except for the red lines I put around the hubcaps..that was brushed...only around the caps on the exposed wheel lip). Oh and cheap. 97 cents a can from Wally-mart. I think it was a total of around 12 or 13 bucks including tax

Picture006.jpg

Picture004.jpg

my complete truck is rattled. though i am doing something different in that i want a shop/rat truck with some home made patina.

Attachments

• 100_8719.jpg
    100_8719.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 139
Nothing special or colorful, but it was all rattle can (except for the red lines I put around the hubcaps..that was brushed...only around the caps on the exposed wheel lip). Oh and cheap. 97 cents a can from Wally-mart. I think it was a total of around 12 or 13 bucks including tax

Ron,

Nothing special?!? It looks nice to me.:)
Great job- especially for $13;)

I've got a 63 Slick I flat blacked (pic in my intro thread) with about 5 cans of Rustolium - seemed it covered better. Keep the edge wet is all. I thought about doing a rattle can job - might practice on some tombstones for Halloween (wifes honey do list).

I did the scallops on mine with red oxcide primer from the dollar store. I got tired of the solid grey and wanted to brighten it up some. Not bad for $10 ;)
Tim

Attachments

• shades 2.jpg
    shades 2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 99
12 cans flatblack wallymart paint=11.64
3 rolls of masking tape=6.29
5 more cans of assorted "flamecolors" wallymart paint =4.85
pulling up and parking next to the trailer queens=PRICLESS!

Attachments

• pontiacengine.jpg
    pontiacengine.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 75
  • pontiacfront.jpg
    pontiacfront.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 141
  • pontiacrear.jpg
    pontiacrear.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 103
I did the scallops on mine with red oxcide primer from the dollar store. I got tired of the solid grey and wanted to brighten it up some. Not bad for $10 ;)
Tim

Timbo,

That is one sharp VW. Nice job.:D

12 cans flatblack wallymart paint=11.64
3 rolls of masking tape=6.29
5 more cans of assorted "flamecolors" wallymart paint =4.85
pulling up and parking next to the trailer queens=PRICLESS!

Dog...
Dang that is fine...my jaw is on the floor.
You have inspired me to go forth and "rattle"!:D

Dogpatch - that is great!

I know a Slick (61-66F100) guy that primered his flat black and would use sidewalk chalk to put designs on it. Changed it when it rained. Can't say it looked real good, but it was cheap!!

OK, really, he did that to decide what design he wanted. Hmmm....how much is that blackboard paint?

wow thanks guys, really kool that you like.
my dad used to use watercolors and craft paints and spray them thru stuff with patterns in them like the really old tableclothes and thin materials to get patterns like they used to put on tops. and vans in the seventies, he also use to do something to the spraycan nossle itself with a pin and make it spray different ways. kinda like ur chalk guy when it would rain the water colors would wash off and we'd have a blank canvas to just do another design. thinking back man i learned alot. thanks dad! dp1

Wow those are some really impressive jobs. Makes me wonder why I'm going to all the trouble on my car.

Sean

Rattle can is a great toss over when compared to $XXXXX custom slop jobs on the cookie cutters on the road.:rolleyes: My uncles use to change the scheme on their Riviera back when I was just a snot nose in the early 60's. They would have contest on card board boxes, then the best would end up on the car for a month or two.:eek: Iwas in total awe as a kid and their art.
Nothing wrong with adding a couple brush strokes in the mist of can fever.:D

Maximo

Lost,

Is that a rattle can job or a krylon roller job?
Either way it is very NICE!:D

Latest posts

Back