Rattle Can Paint Jobs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in my paint cabinet a few minutes ago - I still have that can of appliance paint!!!! Still sprays. Better put that back!:rolleyes: It does cover, but it is very translucent so you would need a base coat. I guess that was my problem with it.

I have tried many different colors on various outdoor surfaces, but anything gloss is difficult to get an even coat with if the surface is large, like a car hood. I guess you could section it off and get good results. For my truck I am using satin and flat colors.

I do not own a compressor or a spray gun so for colors I use auto paint that requires a clear coat and use those cheap-o spray can setups usually used for hobbies!
s0qr3sg.jpg

I am not sure how long the paint will last but my truck has seen two full years of Gulf Coast seasons and no major wear yet.:rolleyes:

I painted my car with rustoleum and then took a red scotch brite to it for the patina look. It turned out nice.

Attachments

• 100_1467.jpg
    100_1467.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 81
Cutman,

Nice job.
I need to start back on my truck, but the last few days the wind has picked up and I am sure my neighbors wouldn't want stain black bricks!:rolleyes:

I tried the "Metal Specls" rattle can from Dupli-Color and it covered really well.
It is more expensive that Wally Mart flat black, but for an accent color, metal flake red next to satin black looks sharp.:D

Man, all of these look great. Is there a lot of prep work involved? I have a VW bus that I'm considering rattle-caning but I have no idea how to start. Just sand the old paint until it's smooth, tape off the trim and spray away?

If I want to use primer but don't want future rust, could I spray over the primer with a low-gloss clear coat?

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited:
good lord! I was going to buy flat black from the paint store but heck im going to wally world.....ALL THOSE RIDES look FANTASTIC! ha and I just thought I was out of money for my project I definatly can swing the 15-20 bucks

Did any of you fellas use a paint booth or just shoot it outside?

Anybody ever think about using those funky spray paints like hammer finish or crackle? Or how about that grey/black/white speckled paint?

I black rattled my truck outside on a calm overcast day.

Things I noticed:
Kinda hard to keep a wet edge on large surface areas with rattle cans. (especially the hood)
After 4 years my black has faded to more of a chalk-board black. (thought about sidewalk chalking some flames on it;))
If you want to paint it right - all the rattle can paint needs to be removed.
If you get a scratch or do some work, touch up is a cinch.
Battle wounds look good on a rat rod.

rattled

heres two more i used ratle cans on, the newer dupont paint is the same formula as the paint you buy in unmixed quarts or gallons only the thinner/reducer is a high speed high flash thinner to excell drying times and to help control runs, painting over it is not a problem HOWEVER a good quality sealer or adhesion promoter is recommended, dp1

wont let me upload pics again sorry. will post soon.

Attachments

• DSCF0265.jpg
    DSCF0265.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0268.jpg
    DSCF0268.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 48
  • 01172009r.jpg
    01172009r.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 1DSCF0001.jpg
    1DSCF0001.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0001 (3).jpg
    DSCF0001 (3).jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 36
HRF.....mine is a '68 swb with the original 360 column shift. i have dabbled a bit on that site before and its a good one... very informative.

Last edited:
Done in flat black rattle. It gets touched up every spring with whatever the local hardware store has for flat black.

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 49
OK, here is my custom Krylon satin black attempt :D :D trick is to put some wax on it, wont fade or streak :cool:

Attachments

• 641.jpg
    641.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 642.jpg
    642.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 44
You are right. This should be for cool stories and help full tips

It was a HOT June evening back in 1960. I had gotten my hands on my mothers 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury and I was crusing down our local 2 lane. There was almost no traffic as I came up to the stop light that we all considered the Start line of our local UN sanctioned drag strip. As I stopper a 1958 Chevy Impalla 2 dr with 348 flags on the hood, over the big V pulls up on my right. As soon as the guy stopped he jumps out and starts unscrewing caps off home made dump tubes that he had in his front wheel wells. Well when I saw this I held the brake and lit the tires up. The guy jumps in and he starts burning his tires. Now not to be out done I hold the break hard and REALLY light them up. I had tire smoke all through the intersection and even inside my car. During this tire burning FORPLAY, the light had actually turned green and red again. Plus there were cars behind us, but what the heck we had a race to run, and besides they had front row seats for what was going to be the main event of the evening. So we both brough it down and I even had to back up a bit and re set my front end on the cross walk. Then I held the break and brought the rear end up just a bit so as not to spin the tires, and , THIS WAS IT when all of a sudded out of my left eye I spotted a convertible across the intersection, that was putting the top down and the driver was standing up in the front seat and waving his arms. If an instant, I thought " who is this nut and doesn't he know we will be going with the light and not his arm waving" THEN I SAW IT. Right behind this guy there was a State Trooper in the crusier. Needless to say we both took off slowly. I pulled ahead of the 58 CVhevy, partly (because I was a **** head) but mostly because the 58 Chevy was now running open headers and he wanted to keep the noise down. As I pulled in front of the 58 I looke in my mirror and I could see the Trooper heading for the U TURN that was about 1/10 of a mile up. For a second I though about making a run for it, and making a U TURN myself and going back the other way or trying to pull off and hide behind one of the buildings on our right side. BUT before I could make up my mind, the Trooper was right behind the 58, and he had the lights and sireene going. We pulled over and as I lowered the window the Trooper was right beside me and sreaming for PAPERS. I handed him the papers and on his way back to the crusier he took the papers from the guy in the 58 Chevy. After a sec I got out and as I made Eye contact with the driver of the 58 I raised my right hand and made a twisting motion. The guy got out and flipped me one of the twist caps. I crossed to the right side of his Chevy and twisted on the right side dump tube cap, as he put on the drivers side dump tube cap. We met at the rear fender of the Fury and just stood there looking at the passing cars. As the cars went by I saw a couple of old ladies, a family with a couple of small kids and a car with two old people, ( probably younger then I am today) with two GOOD LOOKING chicks in the back seat that gave us both that special HOT smile. Hey this isn;t so bad after all I thought, Then the Trooper gets out and as he comes up he tells the guy from the Chevy to start it up and rev it up. The ting is actually quiet now. The Trooper looks in the wheel well, and then tells me to start up the Fury. The Sport Fury is actually QUITE LOUD ! and has a real gas eating heavy rumble. This thing had come with 4 mufflers but I had taken off the two rear ones, which were called resinators back then. This Fury also had a 361 with duel quards and a 72 torqueflight tranny. Well the the Trooper tells me to open the hood, and as I did the guy from the 58 Chevy comes up and stands beside me and the Trooper as we all look in. The Trooper gave the thing a good look over and the just looked at me and shook his head. He then handed us back our papers and told us both to get the HELL out of his territory. He went on to say that if we had to race we should go up where they were building the new highway. As we walked back to the side of the cars the Trooper asked me " Who was the guy in the Convertible" I looked at him and said " I don't know but that sure was a stupid place to be putting down a top". I pulled open my door and jumped in. As I was digging for the keys I heard the Trooper ask that driver of the 58 Chevy " do you really think you could have won that" Then I took off. Later that evening I was in MY 1949 Ford 2dr sedan, which was a tub ( I wish I still had it). It was lowered down in the rear, had no grill, ( hadn't found a pontiac oval yet ) and it was in grey primer and had Buick hub caps, when I pulled into the local burger drive in restaurant. I spotted the 58 Chevy and went over. I asked the guy if I had put the dump tube cap on OK, He looked at me a we both laughed. I then asked him how he had answered the Trooper when he was asked if he thought he could win that. The guy then told me that he had said " WIN WHAT OFFICER" and then the entire parknig lot all laughed. " Back in the 1950:s you Did NOt Call a State Trooper anything other then SIR or TROOPER.
Well, " Win What OFFICER" became the phrase of the summer. I never did get a chance to race the 58, that summer, THINGS JUST GOT IT THE WAY. I would have liked to have raced the 58 Chevy and then had the winner race the Trooper. The Trooper was in a 1957 Ford 2 dr sedan. I never did get a look under his hood that evening, nor since. Does anyone know what State Troopers were running back in thoes 1957 Fords? AND Who do you think would have won?

Latest posts

Back