Hodge Podge Rat Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

Hi guys!

New here, and going to be putting together a rat rod truck of sorts. It starts with a 1994 Chevy long bed pickup with a 4.3L V6 (yeah I know) and auto trans that will be the chassis and drive train donor.

94ChevyPU_zps2fc49e56.jpg

I've found a 1949 International cab with doors and dash that will go onto the chassis

49IHcab_zps7ea1a06f.jpg

and an old Peterbuilt (oops, Freightliner - good catch kenny!) front grille that I'll probably shorten.

Freightlinergrille_zpsf135d97a.jpg

As for the back end, I have a '91 Chevy dually setup with wheels and tires, but tempted to put that on my '88 Suburban. We'll see. Found an International pickup bed, Studebaker bed, but might just go with wood plank for now. All depends on budget and I have none! Craigslist and Home Depot are my parts sources. :D

Going to be learning a lot. I'm basically a backyard hack, new to welding and putting things together, but not altogether unskilled. I have built track cars and fixed up cars and trucks for the last 10 years. Starting late in life, but at least I am started!

I doubt I will go extreme "rat rod" on this thing since I want to be able to drive and enjoy it and not ruin my back and other body parts, but you never know. Since it's my first one, I have a lot to learn and a lot to explore as far as options. Probably start with getting the pieces together and working, then do a c notch rear and lowering the front. The only limits as far as that goes are the "speed" bumps (why are they called that?) and drainage ditches and rounded curb at the end of my driveway.

Looks like I have to upload some photos to post here, so will do that and come back to edit...

Last edited:
Thanks! I will update with photos as things progress. First will be to remove the pickup body, bed and front end, go pick up the IH cab, and start fitting that. Decide where the dually rear end goes (still leaning toward the 'Burban on this), go get the grille, etc. And I am REALLY liking the look of that Studebaker bed and FAT fenders ... ;)

Day 1: Dismantle '94 Chevy pickup. MAN, I had no idea there was so much CRAP on this thing!

Last edited:
Good luck. Have fun.
Don't hesitate to ask questions. Lot of knowledge on this site and great people that are willing to share it.:D
Torchie.

Sort of related to this build, and sorta not: I have that dually rear end (and picking up wheels and tires today) and trying to decide what to do with it. Two options; save it for the rat truck or slap it under the back of my '88 Suburban like this:

100_1251-25_zps80f474c7.jpg

What do you guys think??? I really like the look without the fender extension. I've also ditched the side step rails (whatever they're called). Just didn't like the way they look...

I like the idea of a dually full-sized 'ute...but it'd have to have dually fenders.
Having an extra set of wheels just flapping in the breeze on a truck like that would look totally unfinished.
-Chaz

Yeah, I understand. Most that I have seen are broken or cracked in some way, and though I can do fiberglass work (from the old surfer days), I would just rather not. Itchy! Just picked up a set of wheels and tires, and still undecided where it will go. The good ole 'Burban came through once again with no issues! I love that thing. Especially since my buddy GAVE it to me when the battery crapped out at my place. So it basically cost me $80, has 5 years registration left and cheap insurance! Just to give it a little love, I bought some used headers yesterday, changed plugs and wires and topped up the oil and coolant and a new filter. 186K miles and doesn't leak anywhere! I don't DARE change the oil because it will blow through the gaskets and start dripping! LOL

Oh yeah, and the guy I bought the wheels and tires from has an old PTO towing bed on his '74 Chevy and might want to do a trade for my long bed. I'd do that in a heartbeat and put it on the rat truck. Seen quite a few of those done and it looks cool as heck! :D

Oh yeah, and the guy I bought the wheels and tires from has an old PTO towing bed on his '74 Chevy and might want to do a trade for my long bed. I'd do that in a heartbeat and put it on the rat truck. Seen quite a few of those done and it looks cool as heck! :D

I agree this would be sweet!:cool:

I completely agree! Not counting on it, but you never know. I emailed the guy, but no answer back yet. Meanwhile, picked up the Freightliner grille this evening. It's a lot wider than I thought, but we'll see how things go if I ever get this truck apart. Seems like the mosquitoes are especially plentiful this year, and I can either run a big fan or my compressor but not both, or it blows the fuse. So I'm sorta stuck in manual bolt removal mode, which may just blow MY fuse! :D

Last edited:
A few photos before I get the body off. Mosquitoes don't seem to be so bad today with a breeze going, so will fire up the compressor and air wrench. Hooray! As it sits now:

P6200154_zpsc51f0bb6.jpg

P6200153_zps19025a8b.jpg

P6200152_zpsced883d3.jpg

Patina!!!

Freightlinergrille_zpsf135d97a.jpg

Suburban load of dually bits:

P6200156_zps0f7c8de2.jpg

Tine to reload on smokes and coffee and tear into it! [dr

-----------------------------

Couple hours later and the front end is completely off! What is all this dang wiring nonsense?

Last edited:
[clLove the Freightliner grille! Maybe because that's the company that helps pay for my toys. Hope you figure out how to make it work.

Yeah, that grille is going to be a challenge because it is so wide (42")!!! It'll definitely get shortened, with amber turn signals behind it and some sort of round headlights with a simple bumper out front. Maybe ... I reserve the right to explore my "feminine side" and change my mind at the drop of a hat!

BTW, just for S&Gs, I slid it onto the front of the Suburban since I really don't like the square front end ('88), and kinda sorta liked it. I'd really prefer a '70s front end on that, but since it is my parts hauler, maybe Freightliner would be appropriate!?

Pic of the day:

P6220157_zps243df335.jpg

Finally got the funds to buy the '49 IH body, so gotta go get that. Pretty sure that will inspire more rippin' and snortin' to get the body off this thing!!! Gotta get some mosquito repellent too ... :mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back