'59 Chevy pickup - long chassis

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how about some pictures. I love these types of builds. Working with what you have and trading/selling parts to get what you dont have.

PROGRESS !!! The engine is sitting in the cradle, bolted at the trans mount and sitting on a wood block. There's JUST enough room, but probably going to have to put the radiator somewhere other than in front. The overdrive trans is 3" longer than a regular TH350, so the engine ends up sitting farther forward. The good news is that the front engine mounts will be in a good place! It's not a restoration, it's a toy!

Also going dually rear end, and maybe just MAYBE a 5th wheel setup if that trade goes through. Otherwise it'll end up a wretched wrecked wrecker.
Hey, Welcome back!

Pictures? I'm not sure I know what you are sticking in what, with all that you have going on. :) (I guess if I read the thread title it would have helped a little bit.) :)

If there is room to move the engine back, relocating the trans mount is a simple fabrication project. Maybe no more than a piece of plate with two (or four) holes drilled in it. maybe making a slot out of a hole.

Last edited:
"A man's gotta know his limitations."

Good to see you at it.[cl
Stick with it and you will have one on the road before you know it.
Torchie.

Thanks, Torchie! I hope so. :)

how about some pictures. I love these types of builds. Working with what you have and trading/selling parts to get what you dont have.

I'll get some pics tomorrow, I promise! Probably can't get a side view because there is a '78 pickup next to it with a bad transmission. Almost got the old one out and the rebuilt ready to swap in. Another trade situation. That's how I roll! Hopefully... ;)

Hey, Welcome back!

Pictures? I'm not sure I know what you are sticking in what, with all that you have going on. :) (I guess if I read the thread title it would have helped a little bit.) :)

If there is room to move the engine back, relocating the trans mount is a simple fabrication project. Maybe no more than a piece of plate with two (or four) holes drilled in it. maybe making a slot out of a hole.

Thanks Skip! My skill set is on the opposite end of the spectrum from the more able, talented, and knowledgeable builders around here, so I have to keep things as simple as possible. Like my neighbor used to say, "I'm not a mechanic, I'm a parts changer." The trans mount is riveted in, and yes, I could move it back, and probably should. Pretty sure the consensus of opinion will be clamoring for doing that once the pics go up (tomorrow). Call it lazy, or lack of confidence and skills, but I have to make due with those limitations. If I had a real shop and real skill, I could build a real rod! You could say I have issues, and you'd probably be right! [S

Anyway, it's good to have some sort of progress and be doing something rather than losing sleep thinking about it. Trying to focus on this and get it done, which will help with the confidence to move on to the next one, whatever that might be. I took an online vocational quiz a while back and it said I should be a designer. That might be true, since I have all kinds of conceptions, but when it comes to the doing, ... :eek:

Last edited:
What the hell was I thinking ???

Guess I hadn't really taken a look at this. Uh, no, that ain't gonna fly:

P8080244_zpsk4syq6x0.jpg

So, guess I gotta get in here and move the mount back ... a BUNCH !!!

P8080246_zpsgueh0fzk.jpg

Time for Mr. Grinder. [ddd

Or not ... Those rivets also mount the spring shackles, so gotta do something else. Pulled the engine out ... again. :(

Last edited:
Cut the rivits, remove the crossmember, put bolts back in to hold spring shackles. Then get engine where you think it need to be, drill new holes for crossmember and build engine mounts.

That short crossmember location was for a short three speed, that'swhy it won't work with the auto......

Easy Peasy.....

What Bama said....grind off the Rivet heads, knock out the rest, rebolt the spring perches then set her in and figure were you need to drill holes for cross member....Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt and Dicks your best friend....toughest part will be the drive shaft but bet you have something lying around in your "parts bin"....lol :D

Guess I hadn't really taken a look at this. Uh, no, that ain't gonna fly:

P8080244_zpsk4syq6x0.jpg

So, guess I gotta get in here and move the mount back ... a BUNCH !!!

P8080246_zpsgueh0fzk.jpg

Time for Mr. Grinder. [ddd
If I was your neighbor, I'd be over there to teach you a thing or two. More likely show you that you really already know it! :D Have fun. It is most unlikely that you can break it.

Back yard hack = self taught hot rod builder. Go for it!

What I mean is, just ignore the crossmember that's there. Of course it's for a manual transmission (bellhousing), but you'll also notice that there isn't a heck of a lot holding your two frame rails together. This crossmember happens to be right where the front springs attach to the frame. It's a critical piece.

The transmission mount you need will have to be about a foot and a half behind that crossmember, and it's not a critical piece. All it does is hold the transmission.

If memory serves, I believe 'beater is correct. The original truck likely had a 3- or 4-speed, which hung on the back of the bell housing that was bolted to this cross member. So, I stand corrected. The cross member still may be in the way of the automatic. Another lesson to learn. Don't panic. :D

OK. Now I agree with 'beater. The trans should fit fine over the x-member. And the trans x-member from the 'burbon can likely be modified to do the chore on the P/U.

Its been 20 years since I messed with these trucks.

Ok.......now I get what you are saying....

where he has the trans sitting is the old bell housing cross member..got ya...
but I agree with skip...think you'll still end up moving it ...could box the frame in that area and or move that (or fabbed up one) cross member to just under the oil pan sort of like an ifs front end...after you get it the motor where you want it....all sorts of ways to stiffen that area enough to duplicate the original...but just my opinion...

I had forgotten about the bell housing mounts on the early Chevs, but I think sgtpontiac is right, it would be easy to make something to drop below trans level. Those trucks came with V8's and probably some had Powerglide autos, but a cast case PG would be hard to find.

I'm such a 'tard sometimes...

After pulling the engine back out and having a little pouting fit, I talked with Jess last night on how to get this thing in there. So, this morning with fresh coffee and a bit of an edge in the old attitude, I put it in again, and think it is actually in a good place now! The trans pan is just behind that crossmember, and no mounts yet, but will come up with something. WAY better:

P8100244_zpshvjyuo7y.jpg

Good for you.[cl
That first pic you posted had the engine way too far forward to even fit the stock front sheet metal.
Don't remember if you said but did this truck come with a 6 or a V-8? You should be able to find stock V-8 motor mounts for that year. As I recalled Chevy used to put mounting holes for both 6's and 8's so all you needed were the right mounts. That would locate your engine in the proper place.
Keep at it and you will get it.
Torchie

Last edited:
Thanks, Torchie! Not sure what it came with other than it has a clutch pedal setup. What you see is all I got. I have found doors and a hood and some other bits, but front fenders seem to be the hardest to get? I'll keep plugging at it and see if I can get those engine mounts. The rear trans mount should be easy! I have 3 or 4 of them in "the collection."

Latest posts

Back