Another what would you do thread.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be project #1 now. :)

When I bring a new project down the street to my place all the neighbors look too ... but they dont look as happy as I do though :confused::confused:

This one got most of its attention leaving the neighborhood it was in. Lots of Hispanics and bikers and rodders around, and all lookin' at it roll by. I was behind the tow truck, so my smile was bigger too! He got ahead of me and got here first, so not sure if any of my neighbors saw it. It was also dark. It will surely get some looks once it rolls out on its own power! Hopefully soon. :)

Also, since it is an "unpopular" 4 door, there are a lot of parts that got scrounged from it for the "cooler" coupes over the years. Title was last signed over in 2010 and at least 2 "owners" since then. The guy I got it from was going to save and rod it, but lost his job, so had to put it up for sale. I'll have more details and pics tomorrow, but it has no seats, missing gauge cluster, auto trans shift arm, head lights and trim, tail lights and horn ring. and someone cut a piece out of the passenger rear quarter at the bottom, and passenger rear door does not latch.

Passenger fender is wrong on it. The cutout for the turn signal is a square shape (Chevy?) whereas the driver side cutout is round. The hood was blown open at one point while getting towed. Didn't break the windshield (all the windows are good!), but put a crease in the polished hood strip and bent the rear corners up.

Other stuff, so will be looking for parts! Also got a 250 head, intake and exhaust manifolds which I won't need...

Last edited:
Doing some research. Should look like this in front and the side (and doesn't):

100_9804.JPG

Mine has the trunk center trim and the two backup lights (one lens missing) and the all important ornament with Pontiac logo in great shape, but nothing else:

k0o9xk.jpg

And once upon a time (in blue):

129671-500-0.jpg

Another thing that's no longer there (flathead!):

mariah818_1954_pontiac_chieftain_051511_215026.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Great score on the 54 Poncho!! I miss mine terribly. Had the straight 8/ Hydromatic with power steering, I loved it. Damn college kid smashed into it and totaled it...

Reality check - the pics

Okay, here goes ...

P7170201_zpsb8ec00dc.jpg

P7170205_zpsb62e0e31.jpg

My favorite part:

P7170203_zps06abed57.jpg

Pretty straight:

P7170204_zps8f7f86cd.jpg

And a mess inside, but lots of buried parts and free paint! LOL

P7170202_zps824b580e.jpg

P7170206_zpsae9da8cd.jpg

As soon as the coffee kicks in, I'll put the chrome wheels and tires on it, clean out the inside, and move it to a better place for work. Rear corners of the hood are pretty bad, so that'll come off, then decide which engine goes in, what seats to use and such.

Dang lug nuts!

betcha it's faster in reverse cause the trans is in backwards

Well heck, I hadn't noticed! ;)

P7170207_zpsa330ddf2.jpg

Got the passenger side wheels and tires changed out fairly easily. Went to the driver side and all lug nuts are rusted on. PB Blasted the heck out of them and a little heat and broke two studs off the rear (which is flat). Going to let it soak overnight and hope that helps. Done for the day. At least one side looks better, and you can also see the contours in this sunlit photo. :)

Last edited:
Looks so much better already. Aren't you glad you don't have to spend years and thousands of dollars to have fun with it? :cool: It takes imagination and pride to make a 4 door cool but that challenge means it won't be another cookie cutter ride. I dislike seeing shaved back door handles to pretend a car is 2 door. I want to see 4 tapper handles on a 4 door. Celebrate the 4 doorness!

That is a good lookin' car. [cl Gotta' love the AZ desert. Cars will last for decades sitting around. Great score.

Looks so much better already. Aren't you glad you don't have to spend years and thousands of dollars to have fun with it? :cool: It takes imagination and pride to make a 4 door cool but that challenge means it won't be another cookie cutter ride. I dislike seeing shaved back door handles to pretend a car is 2 door. I want to see 4 tapper handles on a 4 door. Celebrate the 4 doorness!

I totally agree. Plus I'm too old and cranky to be crawling around a door pillar to get to the back seat. What use is it then? Yeah, I like it! :)

I don't know about older buicks but some older cars the lug nuts on the leftside are left hand thread. Maybe that is why you're having trouble?

The '54 Chevy chassis has normal threads on both side, but good point! I will try the other direction tomorrow, since they did make a little squeak like movement before breaking off. I'll bet you are right! Good call kenny.

That is a good lookin' car. [cl Gotta' love the AZ desert. Cars will last for decades sitting around. Great score.

Thanks! There are a couple of rusted through spots on the floorboards, like near the driver door, but nothing major. Mostly surface rust everywhere else.

Still deciding what to do with it - gasser, lowrider, renovation (don't have money to restore). What engine, trans wheel and tire combo, etc. Probably just clean it up a bit, throw in some seats and get it running first with a straight 6 and auto trans, then develop something after that. ;)

kenny c strikes again!!!

Well kenny, you were right again! Reverse threads on the driver side. :)

PONTIAC = Poor Old Numbskull Thinks It's A Chevy!

Now sitting on 4 wheels and tires all holding air. Got some errands to run, including swapping the title on this thing and the White Whale ('90 GMC Suburban 3/4 T w/454 and TH400), so will move it into the work area tomorrow.

It's really mine now!

Just went and got the title and Historical Vehicle plate that I had already for The Chief. Let the fun begin in earnest!!! [dr

So, back to the "what would you do with it" theme, what would you do???

I just bought a '90 GMC Suburban (as mentioned) that is more solid than the old '88, so I have a 350/AT available if I decide the old 'Burb becomes parts, which it most likely will become. Drive train into the Pontiac and on the road! Leaning toward this option for better driveability and disk brakes and amenities.

Or go more along the path of vintage with a straight 6 and 3 spd or TH350. I think earthman will vote for this one. :D

4-doors look good long and low.

Agreed! The only restriction is rounded curbs and speed bumps around here. Air ride kit is $1700 which is out of "budget." It sits pretty good the way it is, but of course it'll drop once I get a drive train in there. All to be determined...

Got some of the mess out of the inside today. Kinda hard to push by myself, so it is still by the gate. Got a place cleared out for it so get worked on, just have to get it in there! Going to have to enlist some helpers. [S

Just went and got the title and Historical Vehicle plate that I had already for The Chief. Let the fun begin in earnest!!! [dr

So, back to the "what would you do with it" theme, what would you do???

I just bought a '90 GMC Suburban (as mentioned) that is more solid than the old '88, so I have a 350/AT available if I decide the old 'Burb becomes parts, which it most likely will become. Drive train into the Pontiac and on the road! Leaning toward this option for better driveability and disk brakes and amenities.

Or go more along the path of vintage with a straight 6 and 3 spd or TH350. I think earthman will vote for this one. :D
Beyond the engine, the '88 stuff is pretty big for the Poncho, I think. Please don't go 4x4. Please... :eek:

No 4-by, I promise!

Beyond the engine, the '88 stuff is pretty big for the Poncho, I think. Please don't go 4x4. Please... :eek:

Haha, nope! Might just swap the engine and trans. Then again, might just go straight 6 and TH350. Have to find a flex plate, but that should be easy.

Guy wants to buy the GMC, so might just keep the brown bomb instead. As nice as this newer truck is, it's just a little too thirsty, though it's awful cool. [S

Movement!

Some of you farm guys might be impressed, not sure. But today I pulled the Pontiac forward with the Suburban "tractor," then pulled it back with the Ford Escape "tractor," and also moved two other projects over one notch with the Ford, so 3 of the 4 now have their own work area, albeit a bit cramped. That's okay, though, I'll move some stuff around to make more room to get something done! No more excuses:

P7190208_zpsd180454a.jpg

Poor ole blue truck off to the side and waiting for its turn:

P7190209_zpsc95a9b6e.jpg

[cl

Latest posts

Back