Another what would you do thread.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slow down grasshopper.:D You have the makings of your own personal junkyard now. Keep adding stuff and you'll never know which one to work on, if you do work on one. I know how it is, you see this or that, think "I can use that", get it home, then the reality sinks in, "What the heck was I thinking?". Just trying to save you some grief {and money}. :D

I'm not going to say I told you so, I'll just say I was trying to warn ya. I'm not the kind of guy to rub anybodies nose in it because I've Been there, done that myself.:eek: So easy to not tell yourself no. I have had numerous projects, that if completed, could have been very nice rides. Instead, they got sold or traded for the next one, that suffered the same fate. I've had 10 or more vehicles in my yard at one time, with only a couple that were drivers. I've even bought a few parts for vehicles I didn't even have, just because they were cheap. Lost my a$$ on most all of it. The money I wasted over a 25 year period would probably have bought a high dollar hot rod.

Good luck on getting rid of the ones you decide you don't want.

Thanks again!

I'm not going to say I told you so, I'll just say I was trying to warn ya. I'm not the kind of guy to rub anybodies nose in it because I've Been there, done that myself. :eek: So easy to not tell yourself no. I have had numerous projects, that if completed, could have been very nice rides. Instead, they got sold or traded for the next one that suffered the same fate. I've had 10 or more vehicles in my yard at one time, with only a couple that were drivers. I've even bought a few parts for vehicles I didn't even have, just because they were cheap. Lost my a$$ on most all of it. The money I wasted over a 25 year period would probably have bought a high dollar hot rod.

Good luck on getting rid of the ones you decide you don't want.

Thanks, and again, I appreciate everyone's input and support. Even if it's not what one wants to hear at the time, proof that it's better to listen and learn! :)

It looks like I will be selling the Hodge Podge project. There are obstacles that seem too difficult to solve at my skill level, which is minimal. I break even on it, so that's okay. The labor part of it was fun, so that is not a loss, but a gain of experience! Again, live and learn ...

As for the rest, this should take some of the pressure off and make room for progress! I'll probably go straight 6 and and 3 speed in the '59 pickup, and the IH cab onto the '54 Chevy chassis which will become the tow truck rat project. I'd really like to hotrod the Pontiac, so might wait on that and do it up that way. Also put the dually rear end in the trusty old brown Suburban since that diff is starting to whine pretty badly. One at a time, and K.I.S.S.!

Again, I TRULY appreciate the advice and comments, and wish everyone a Happy New Year ahead! Looking forward to it. [cl

:D
Sounds like new year's resolution time again.

As I sit and think I should quit buying things I don't need just because it's a good deal, I trip over the altered on the way to work on the 38, and wonder when I will find a buyer for the near perfect '41 Chrysler front fenders in the rafters, or the '48 Ford fenders I bought last month. A bit of work, and they will be worth 10x what I paid for them. :rolleyes:

Still wondering if the seller in Beaverton is kidding about the '06 Mustang wheels for $90. He hasn't answered my last e-mail. :confused: [S

Yup. Its a common affliction in the RRR world.

We was trippin' !!!

:D I trip over the altered on the way to work on the 38, and wonder when I will find a buyer for the near perfect '41 Chrysler front fenders in the rafters, or the '48 Ford fenders I bought last month ...

Yup. Its a common affliction in the RRR world.

Yeah, I have to step over a chassis to get to one, then through that cab to get to the one next to that, then wonder why they are all there!?! Definitely afflicted, and diggin' the heck out of it! (Honestly, there is room in between, just makes for a better story)

I never did finish my cleanup project which was supposed to make room for all this, so will have to move some of it out again and actually do step 1 before moving on. D'Oh! Then just put one in the work slot and cover up the rest for later. At least with a lot of Miatas around, there was room to move because of the size. This, however, is a whole different story! No worries, at least my attitude is a lot better lately, thanks to good advice and support. Nice to know I'm/we're not alone in this. "We're all bozos on this bus!" :)

Yes, sometimes we who have been there are a good support group. I think a good 12 step program should be a sticky. For me, one project at a time is plenty. But also there can be one in the parts gathering stage. Anything more is just spreading yourself too thin and sabotaging any chance of ever actually driving one down the road.

Most definitely not alone ,,,, I got a 60 Sunbeam on blocks in the corner. 68 vette covered with plastic 65 F-100 under some sheets. a 49 F-1 rat in the other corner . A J.D. 440 putt-putt dozer, in the middle of the shop .. and all got stopped working on because of $$$$ but when a good deal came along for a future project I bought it instead of spending that $ to finish the others...... Im on a 97 F 150 now The (new project) another $200 and this one should be going down the road . this will be my back-up way of going .. My poor Dakota is on its last leg .. :(

I got it bad, my friends. REAL bad.

Could have sold the '56 cab and doors last weekend, and the running Chevy truck frame too, but balked and backed out. Sure could use the money to put into another project, but it would be too much like giving up! After all, those were the pieces that got me going on this path and onto this website and into this support program. Besides, it's probably the one that is closest to actually being a running and driving toy, and I just couldn't bring myself to let it go! :)

I "inherited" my mom's '03 Ford Escape V6 XLT, so daily driver is now covered. It's a great little practical and economical vehicle, but I gotta say, it just feels so WRONG !!! Most uncomfortable seat I have ever put my butt into, and there is no "thrill" about heading out to go somewhere. It's just wheels. The two gas-hungry Suburbans are parked for now. Pretty sure the trusty rusty brown bomb will donate its drive train, and still might sell the GMC, but it has great potential for parts too! 454, TH400, etc. I guess if the kid comes up with the money I'll let it go. Otherwise I'm thinkin' ... [ddd :D :eek:

Just in case anyone was wondering (which I doubt)...

I "inherited" my mom's '03 Ford Escape V6 XLT, so daily driver is now covered. It's a great little practical and economical vehicle, but I gotta say, it just feels so WRONG !!! Most uncomfortable seat I have ever put my butt into, and there is no "thrill" about heading out to go somewhere. It's just wheels.

Looks like this is SOLD !!! That will force me to get something else reliable AND put some $$$ into the parts column. NO MORE BUYS !!! :cool: The rest is still all for sale, but nothing happening. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get something done now!?! That would be ... magic! LOL

In the process...

Wait...you sold the Ford ?

If the guy's financing goes through, then it is sold. It's just not my thing. Too new, uncomfortable and absolutely no fun to drive. I'll either fix the old brown suburban or find an old Chevy pickup - '60s-'70s. Saw quite a few for around 2 grand on CL today. Plus, there will be extra project money! :)

If the guy's financing goes through, then it is sold. It's just not my thing. Too new, uncomfortable and absolutely no fun to drive. I'll either fix the old brown suburban or find an old Chevy pickup - '60s-'70s. Saw quite a few for around 2 grand on CL today. Plus, there will be extra project money! :)

That sounds eerily like an alcoholic friend who tried to quit drinking and thought he could still hang around the bars.

Been there, done that!

That sounds eerily like an alcoholic friend who tried to quit drinking and thought he could still hang around the bars.

I speak from experience: It is no fun hanging around a bunch of drunks if one is not also drunk. And the later it gets, the worse it is! :eek: I don't drink and don't go to bars anymore. Wore out that t-shirt ...

I've been mulling over things. The Ford is sold, just have to fax a copy of the title to the guy's finance company. They cut me a check and it's a done deal. It's a considerable amount of money which will help immensely right now. That's how I have been keeping the bills paid for the last 8 years - flipping cars.

Do I need to buy another vehicle? Not necessarily, but would sure like to have a pickup. They're a lot more convenient for hauling than a Suburban, especially if one is moving something tall or messy or stinky. This project "mess" all started with buying the wrong pickup, not being able to sell it, and then some parting out and stripping it down and buying the '56 cab. Then the "alcoholic" kicked in with binge buying. "My name is Dave, and I'm a car-oholic!" :eek:

When the Ford goes away, I'll need a reliable vehicle and though I would prefer a pickup, but either of the Suburbans should work with a minimal investment. So, which one? They both have issues. The trusty old brown '88 needs the center driveshaft carrier bearing ($15), got it! It also needs some tires pretty soon, so a few hundred bucks should do the trick. No brainer.

The white '90 has a very short rear gear and revs too high on the highway for my liking. It also does not run right - stumbles and backfires once it warms up. Not sure what that's all about. Like my good ole boy neighbor says, "I'm not a mechanic, I'm a parts changer. Once I know what's wrong, I'll fix it."

THEN I can get back to projects for fun! :D

Last edited:
More confusion, if that's possible ...

I don't understand banks. My buyer jumped through hoops for two weeks, got a co-signer, submitted every piece of paperwork known to man and called them yesterday when there should have been a check in the mail. "Your loan has been declined. We sent you a letter." WTF ??? :mad:

He is going to look for another source and gave me a "down payment." I guess I am the bank for now? Sort of an uncomfortable position that I have been in before and got screwed, BUT, I have faith that it will work itself out. I have gotten to know this young man fairly well over the last month, and am letting him drive the car on his own insurance while holding the title. I know, NOT smart ...

Put all my junk up for sale and it looks like I have the '56 cab and doors sold. It will become a display for a computerized satellite tracking system that lets farmers to keep an eye on livestock. Huh? Well, okay, as long as the money is green, he can do whatever he wants with it.

Haven't touched much lately. Both Suburbans are in need of a little work, so have to decide which one to keep and which becomes a donor. :eek:

I know that's what it sounds like, ...

Hmm, you gave the car to a guy with no money and no credit? I wonder how that movie ends? Unpredictably I hope.

... but there is a little more to it. I let him use the car first, when the financing seemed certain (from all indications). Then it fell apart and I could easily have taken the car back, but for some reason I didn't, probably because I hate the thing, and trust that it will get paid for eventually.

But believe me, I am re-thinking this. It's probably not a good idea ...

In the old days that would work....

but now it's the opposite....If you extend credit or take a partial payment on things you set yourself up to lose your money....I hope for your sake this guy is from the old school....where a man's handshake is the only contract needed.....I wish you luck on that deal....and I'm not being sarcastic... honestly hope it works out ......

I've carried paper on cars and houses before. As long as the paperwork is in order, you can take it back if not paid for. It's not hassle free, but it can be done. I have been lucky with such deals, but I also am careful who I extend credit to. Interest rates may vary.

Latest posts

Back