Another what would you do thread.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

but now it's the opposite....If you extend credit or take a partial payment on things you set yourself up to lose your money....I hope for your sake this guy is from the old school....where a man's handshake is the only contract needed.....I wish you luck on that deal....and I'm not being sarcastic... honestly hope it works out ......

"Sleep on it," they say... "Take care of number one." Etc, etc...

As much as I dislike the Frod, I am going to offer him the GMC gas hog and keep the reliable, working, more economical Escape instead. Originally, that was the plan until I had second thoughts about selling him a truck that does not run right and offered up the one I really ought to keep. Going to take the GMC to my mechanic and see what the problem is and if it's cheap and easy, fix it and trade. If it's something major, then it becomes parts, but will probably take the Frod back either way. He'd be okay with that; we talked about it. Disappointed about the bank dragging its butt, but no hard feelings.

I'm sure he is going to pay me, but worst case scenario and something happens, with the GMC I'd only be out around a grand rather than six. My finances (or lack thereof living below the poverty line) are such that this is a better way to go than lose my a$$ for the sake of being a nice guy.

Again, thanks for the comments and advice. I appreciate them all and take them in the spirit they are given. As far as projects, I haven't done a darn thing in a month or so. Still need to do that cleanup and organizing project, then going to move them all out of the "shop" and pick one and try and get it done. Okay, maybe two, since I would really like to get the Pontiac going and one pickup. Gotta decide which is the easiest and go from there ...

Motivated seller is usually another way of saying your going to take it in the shorts. I never made a sale out of financial need that went well for me. And there have been a bunch of those over the years. I have however made similar deals when I really didn't need the money, just to help out someone and had them turn out well.
One time I picked up a hitch hiker and in conversing found out he had taken a job at a lodge up the road and really needed a car. I had a banged up but good running Subaru I offered him for $300. He gave me $50 and promised to pay the rest on Tuesday when he got paid. I told him that I knew he could'nt keep that obligation so just come on Tue. with what ever you can pay. Well, it took about a month and he showed every Tue. with $50 or so until it was paid off.

This is sorta similar, ...

Motivated seller is usually another way of saying your going to take it in the shorts. I never made a sale out of financial need that went well for me. And there have been a bunch of those over the years. I have however made similar deals when I really didn't need the money, just to help out someone and had them turn out well.
One time I picked up a hitch hiker and in conversing found out he had taken a job at a lodge up the road and really needed a car. I had a banged up but good running Subaru I offered him for $300. He gave me $50 and promised to pay the rest on Tuesday when he got paid. I told him that I knew he could'nt keep that obligation so just come on Tue. with what ever you can pay. Well, it took about a month and he showed every Tue. with $50 or so until it was paid off.

My "motivation" in this case is not financial, but more that I don't like the Frod that much. I offered the trade, but he loves that thing. Fine with me, as long as the money comes in. I still have the title and a spare set of keys, so push comes to shove, I can repo it. I don't think it will come to that. :)

Meanwhile, ole trusty rusty, the brown '88 Suburban decided to quit running yesterday, and I had it towed home/ Thank God for triple A, one of the best investments ever, and pays for itself every year, as in this case. Might be a fuse, some funky side wiring done by the previous owner, or ... who knows. It cranks, tries to start and then just quits. I'm thinking something in the Run circuit, but am no mechanic ("just a parts changer!"). Guess I'll be driving the white whale for now (the lifted '90 GMC with huge tires, 454 AT and 9 mpg). May be time to pull that 350 out of the brown one and get that Pontiac running!? :D

maybe fuel pump going bad .. I hear if the pressure isnt about 60 they wont run ...could be filter half clogged too .. ...my 2 cents

Could be a lot of stuff since these "newer" vehicles have so much junk on them. I smell plenty of fuel, so not sure and am not enough of a mechanic to guess, nor do I have the patience to try all kinds of trial and error. Besides, ...

["May be time to pull that 350 out of the brown one and get that Pontiac running!?"]

It's time. It would have fit in very well at the show in Tempe today.
It sure needs to be done soon before the heat comes back.

You got that right! I have the front bodywork off, so it is there for the planting, so to speak. It would be REALLY nice to have something running and driving before summer hibernation. :eek:

Haha, yup!

I can deal with the summer way more than the winter .......... Yea , I'm saying that cause its cold today :D:D

It's the opposite here in Arid-freaking-zona. Summers are oppressive and winter is tolerable. That's why a lot of people come here from the cold north in the winter time (the snowbirds) and make driving even MORE dangerous than it already is! You can tell them because they wear shorts and t-shirts while the rest of us are in jackets and hoodies! Living in an oven in the summer? No thanks. I count the years I have lived here by the summers I have survived. Some people like it, but not me. Not at all ... Like e-man said, better get something done before the heat gets here. :)

Oh hecky darn !!!

Both Suburbans are dead, getting the Frod back and keeping it and selling off all this old crap. I just don't have the knowledge or the skills ...

Ignore the above post ... somewhat.

Both Suburbans are dead, getting the Frod back and keeping it and selling off all this old crap. I just don't have the knowledge or the skills ...

THIS 350 and auto trans from the '88 Suburban:

P7240217_zpsghz5lvg5.jpg

Is going into the Pontiac, which became priority and project #1 today after a decision by committee (including earthman and 8literbeater). GIT'ER DONE!!!

MAN she is solid!! What's the plans for the shell? I'm interested in any 87 and older Chevy trucks!

Come get it! heehee

MAN she is solid!! What's the plans for the shell? I'm interested in any 87 and older Chevy trucks!

It's an '88 and came from New Jersey, so there are some rust issues in the fender wells and door sills, but not too bad. Once I am done getting the parts I need and hopefully parting out some things (front bumper and grille may be sold if the guy shows up and wants them), it's up for grabs! :D

Ya the burbans, blazers, and one tones kept the square style till 91 I think. If you can find the square style or older ones I'd be interested in them. They need to be priced right tho. :D I currently need a body to put on my work truck. It's a 87 with lower miles but the body is gone.

Ya the burbans, blazers, and one tones kept the square style till 91 I think. If you can find the square style or older ones I'd be interested in them. They need to be priced right tho. :D I currently need a body to put on my work truck. It's a 87 with lower miles but the body is gone.

Want a Suburban body? I still have the front end pieces. Electric windows stopped going up and down, but the rear one still works (tailgate style). All doors open and close. Small crack in the windshield in the upper left corner, bigger crack on right rear long window, but both are still together. I'll make you a smokin' deal !!! Help me with the Pontiac and get the parts I want off the 'Burb and you can haul away the rest !!! :D

Sending PM to stop annoying the neighbors. LOL

Last edited:
More cleanup on the Pontiac. Diesel fuel works great as a solvent! Thanks e-man! ;)

More disconnecting on the 'Burban and almost ready to find out what I missed when I start to pull it out. :D

BTW, I should probably do a build thread instead of this, but it turned out to be a jinx the last couple times. LOL Anyway, it's still a "what would you do with it" thread since I am open to suggestions.

I just noticed that I have a couple missed calls from Phoenix. Is that you by chance?

Latest posts

Back