valspar floor paint on a car?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Wallbanger

i have started using krylon satin boot leather brown but kylon does not carry this in a quart or gallon so i thought about using valspars oil based semi gloss floor paint i have used it on my house and it covered awsome and take a rediculos beating its even on my car port and will be on my shop floor too. think itll work ? should i use some sort of hardner. Ive sprayed tractor supply , rustoleum, ppg , and high end paints cutting in at a body shop so im not new to shooting paint but a pro by no means . just wanting to hear if anyone has tried this.

should mention im not looking for show quality!

i know its not gonna be gold from lead . just that tractor supply doesnt mix to match paint. itll be semi gloss , they said satin doesnt come in oil based weird right. the body was left slightly ruff. as in i hid most of the welds but left the original dings.

My experiance is most oil enamels tends to oxidize and gets chalky out in sun light, waxing may prevent this but never tried it.

It'll dry just like it does on your house. If oil based use what ever they say to use for brush clean up to reduce. Test something first and if it's to shiney, and some flattener. And if ya can find any add a teaspon of corn starch per quart.

Mix it well with your reducer you are using then add it to the paint and mix.

Lungs

Gotter painted

I used sherwin willams all surface , a little high but it was 30perc off. Lays down like a champ sprayed in 40 degree weather with the wind blowing over full solo cups!

Haha Sam

My beer comes in a can ! The solo cups are for mixing oil base paint. No laquer forgot and used one for my filler primer and it turned to wet tissue paper just as I poured it out! Close one ! Here's the truck I do recommend the sherwin all surface as far as a mix able oil base

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 24
I always assumed that because the tractor supply paint was alkyd enamel it would not be so durable
To the contrary.
The tractors I've seen it sprayed on probably had poor prepwork

I had a 73 firebird with a corrosion problem starting under the front and back window trim and tar.
The car was a vinyl top car
I had removed the roof from a 79 firebird intending to re roof mine since it was badly rusted through on top.
What I ended up doing was taking a grinder and cutting the skin loose from the roof edge like you do with a door skin.
Then I took a 24 git disc and cleaned the rust off the top
I put dabs of epoxy about every 6" to bond the shins together but keep them separated but at the perimeter I screwed the skin down after weighting the skin down with old tires and then came back and welded right along the edge.
I ended up using almost no bondo that way.

But as for the window channels
I hit them with a small disc to get the rough stuff off then carefully worked the rust off with a wire wheel to keep from removing too much good metal.

Then I metal prepped the area with phosphate etcher
Then I etch primed the bare metal
Then I painted it with Tractor supply semi gloss black...
After letting it dry inside a few days I glued the glass back in.

The car sat outside for a few years of me driving it with no trim and leaves and gunk sitting down in there and then in outdoor storage for a couple years.
I just wanted to stop it from getting worse because I knew it would be sitting outside.
It never got so much as a spot of rust poke back through after prepping it and painting it that way.

I even had puttied over a few small holes with Kitty hair
I know they say bondo is supposed to go on bare metal but I cant remember if i put it to the steel or to the etch prime or right over the paint.

I used the rustoleum with the teflon on vinyl tops before.
Got an ols beater with a cracked up leaky vinyl roof?
Caulk it up with some paintable flexible caulk and paint it over with rustoleum teflon.
It repels water and stays moderately flexible due to plasticizers

I used to know a dude who bought used cowboy boots and painted them black with testors Model paint because he said it didn't crack on the leather like car paint
They looked pretty good when he got done with them
He used to doctor up vinyl tops with the model paint

Latest posts

Back