Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Title Q&A

Title Q&A Discussion & Q&A about titling you car!

Old 04-02-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Oklahoma title for rat rod question.

I title 42ed my truck in Oklahoma and got it registered to me, started building the truck. In the process I built a new frame because the original one was trashed. Before I acquired the truck somewhere in its 79 year life, someone stamped the frame number on to the inside of the cab. That number matched the frame number of the original frame, and that's the number I used to title the truck. I now know that Ford did not stamp the bodies with the s/n, and the new frame does not have a s/n on it. I have to get the vin inspected before they will issues me the actual title. Since I used the number stamped on the body to get the title will that be sufficient to use to get the vin inspected? Has anyone in Oklahoma done the assembled vehicle title? looking at my options to get this thin on the road in the next month.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:40 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'm not from Oklahoma but I would purchase a number stamp set and stamp the number in your new frame in the OE position to match the cab.

Don't give up, it's far too much fun once you can drive it.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:59 PM
"There’s nothing new in originality"

Most tag offices don't know much about old cars, if everything matches you shouldn't really have any trouble. If they do question something play dumb its their job to know everything. I had a buddy just put his number on a plate and rivited to the firewall, never took a second glance at it.

'53 Build Link

"Its a catastrophic success"
Old 04-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Also not from Oklahoma.

I suggest you tread lightly and move forward with what you have. (Chances are good, your local authorities don't know where the serial number belongs.) Stamping another number is asking for a trip to the iron bar hotel...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM

My Chev went by long gone engine number back in the day, (Florida). The title number starts with LAQ, and when I looked it up, it says powerglide transmission. Mine originally had manual, clutch pedal still in place under carpet. Hmmm. Titled by last few owners including me with no problem.

But here is a wackier title issue I dealt with: Back in 1985 I purchased a decent 67 Charger that had screwed up paper work. I had a gal pal that knew how to cut through the red tape, had helped me with others.

This time, the letter from DMV had no title, instead informing me car came back stolen. The actual owner is a biker in jail for murder. I got through to him in a prison phone call and I offered him 200 for the paper. He said he would rather pay his boys to blow the car up. F him.

I worked a little bit with the detectives who said I shouldn't be in possession of this car, then I gave them a tip. The guy I got the car from used to work at a tow yard that was being investigated for stolen vehicles!

Meanwhile, I knew of a very rough 67 Charger in my neighborhood. and I approached the owner and told him the story. He grabbed that car for my asking price, switched riveted ID plate, and rode off into the sunset.

Seven (7) years later, I get a letter from the DMV. In it was the title to that 67 Charger in my name. I still have it in my possession.

Don't know if this helps at all, but shows how weird the bureaucracy is
Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Devil's Advocate

Another case for having a clear title in hand BEFORE you even turn a wrench...
Old 04-04-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Devil View Post
Another case for having a clear title in hand BEFORE you even turn a wrench...
I did have a clear title in my name before I turned a wrench. The DMV here will not mail the actual title to you until they do the vin inspection on a complete vehicle, I could not have a complete car with out turning a wrench on it. The truck has a valid license plate, current tags and insurance on it all in my name.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
I did have a clear title in my name before I turned a wrench. The DMV here will not mail the actual title to you until they do the vin inspection on a complete vehicle, I could not have a complete car with out turning a wrench on it. The truck has a valid license plate, current tags and insurance on it all in my name.
Well it wasn't in your hand then was it?

I'm not following the backwards process of the Oklahoma DMV here. What is the justification to inspect a complete vehicle AFTER it has tags?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:16 PM
The Rat Captain

Cool

It seems every state has their own idea of how to do things and not many of them make a lot of sense
When I built the willys I ordered a replica ID plate using my birthday with some added 0's for the ID and it was never questioned.
Good Luck Hatch.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Devil View Post
Well it wasn't in your hand then was it?

I'm not following the backwards process of the Oklahoma DMV here. What is the justification to inspect a complete vehicle AFTER it has tags?
If I waited to turn a wrench until I had the actual title in hand I would never be able to do anything with the vehicle. As for the vehicle it self it does have a stamped S/N on the cab with the stars at each end, this matches the s/n on the original frame. I'm going to go have them do the vin inspection and hopefully they will pass it. If not I will see what they say I need to do.

The reason for it is just to verify the vehicle is in the state so they don't issue a physical State title to a vehicle that is not actually in the state. That's what I was told when I asked. I bought a mustang from out of state in 06 and realized I never got the vin inspection done. It was 2011 before I got it inspected, never had an issue with renewing the tags for it.