Bending window run channel 90 degrees

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

I need to replace the run channel around the quarter windows in my '56 Ford Club Sedan (post). There is a 90 degree bend at the top, and I guess the car originally had a bracket that made that bend. This car is missing nearly all the brackets related to the windows. :( I'm wondering how to make that curve without ruining the new channel. Is it feasible to bend it around the window glass as a pattern? Or is there some trick I'm unaware of? I'd appreciate any help.

Yes it is possible to bend it around the glass. After you do, you will have to reshape the edges of the channel as they will bow out. It will kink up a little, but the structure inside is like a thin corrugated metal and usually flattens out pretty good. If you need to, tamp it down with a rawhide hammer or something similar. If you want to make sure you don't damage the glass, replace it with a piece of 1/4" plate. It's pretty forgiving once it is in the frame. Use some good 3M black adhesive to glue it down and you're in business!

Thanks for the advice, Blue Eyed Devil! I may make a piece of 1/4" plywood to match that corner of the window, sand it down good and smooth before forming the channel around it.

This is the corner I need to fit...
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20180724_142539[2].jpg
    20180724_142539[2].jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 83
... I thought you were talking about the sheet metal up there.... :rolleyes: Nothing to add, should work just fine as said above :)

Just an update...I made a 1/4" plywood pattern of the window, braced it with 2x4's. clamped it in my vise, and formed the channel around it. It worked great, and I didn't have to make any relief cuts.

Latest posts

Back