Matching patina

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken47int

So basically I chopped my 27 Essex over the weekend. I have the typical cut, welding, and grinding marks. I'd like to get the patina to somewhat match up. I doubt I will ever just leave it outside and let Mother Nature do the work for me. What can I do to speed up the process that isn't going to be to nasty. I more then likely will just leave the marks and not worry about it to much.im just looking for ideas and opinions

Have you got a few pictures for us? That way we'd know if there was still some really flat paint colour involved or is the area just old dark rust? Or some of both?
New rust is usually a way lighter coloured than old dark brown rust, so leaving it outside for a week isn't going to cut it.
I've had some good luck using ultra-flat camouflage brown, rattle-can paint and mixing other flat colours in while the first spraying is still wet.
Good luck,----- and I'd still like to see the chopped car.

Last edited:
Get a bunch of old rusty bolts and nails, put them in a bucket with salt and vinegar, i also put in a little gas, probably not a safe combo but i keep it outside. In a few days you will have some super dark rust juice in the bucket. Pour it in a spray bottle. The rust mixture will stain anything. Thats how i do it. Makes great streaks.

Attachments

• 20160909_174742.jpg
    20160909_174742.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 28
I like the creative idea that stickfigure had. I'd defiantly need to try that on something. Yeah mercury it has the nice deep dark patina that has taken years to develop. Here's a couple pics. The front pillars are pretty much done, and I still need to do some relief cuts in the back corners to get the body to line up better. Those will be the biggest areas I have to grind on. The doors and the rest of the cut should be pretty thin lines.

The pics aren't uploading. It's probably where I'm at. I will try again in a couple hours

Latest posts

Back