My 1958 Dodge PU

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakas66

Almost middle of Feb, getting closer to Spring and finally moving forward with portions of my 58 project. My origingal intent had been to use OEM 58 frame and Volare suspension. Have since decided to use a 75 Dodge shortbox rolling chassis I have stashed with later model 5 on 5.5 brakes. Wheelbase is within an inch, biggest diff is track width. 58 is almost 2 1/2 inches narrower flange to flange. My daily driver, for now, is a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500. Stock steels are 16 x 7 and 5 on 5.5 bolt circle with 5 inch inside offset. These have had the centers opened up to fit 80's brakes and powdercoated black. With spyder caps and eventually some wide white 16's, should have a nice 50's look. For now, the 225/16 all seasons will have to do. After some research, I got lower control arms from an 86 Dodge van, will drop front 3.5 inches. New suspension parts sitting on the shelf too. Rear will be Z'd with the trianulated 4 link thing. It will also be moved forward 1 inch to compensate for the diff in wheelbase. I have included a pic of my PU, the wheels, and the center caps I will be using. Late March or early April the slab for my new shop will be poured and the rest to follow soon after. Looking forward to getting 75 frame indoors and set up for the sheemetal swap. Progress photos will posted as I get them.

Attachments

• DSCN2229.jpg
    DSCN2229.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2276.jpg
    DSCN2276.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 180757437215_1[1].jpg
    180757437215_1[1].jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 99
I assume that is the front track width? The new front end with the backspace of the newer rims, are they going to be even more narrow outer rim to outer rim? I think I'm confused.

Samfear, '75 track width is wider than the stock '58. If I used stock the '75 7 inch wide wheels, I would have a 50/50 split offset, 3.5 both ways. The 2000 wheels have just shy of 5 inches inside offset, gaining me 1.5 inches on each side. Changing to '85 brakes gives me the 5.5 bolt circle and no change to offset. Hope this helps.

I got it now. Thanks. So it sounds like your back on track (bad pun intended)

Forgot to tell you that's a good looking truck. 58 is the year Dodge got it's style back in their trucks.

I got it now. Thanks. So it sounds like your back on track (bad pun intended)

Forgot to tell you that's a good looking truck. 58 is the year Dodge got it's style back in their trucks.

Thanks Sam, wanted a 58-60 for years. Got one now and have the all important mental picture in my head of what I want to do with it. Incidentally, I am including pics of modified rear shackels Im building to temporarilly drop the rear 3 inches. Using 3 x 1.5 x 1/4 channel. Got to press the bushings out here at home before I weld them up at work. Also a pic of 86 Dodge van LCAs for dropping the front. Spring pockets are 3 inches deeper and work great on 72 and the later PU frames with a few minor mods.

Attachments

• DSCN2277.jpg
    DSCN2277.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN2278.jpg
    DSCN2278.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN2279.jpg
    DSCN2279.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 7
One last item, a PU photo from the 'Net of basically what direction Im heading. Picture mine in basic BBQ flat black, maybe some pinstiping, lowered with narrow 225 black wall tires on my black wheels, and the afore mentioned spyder caps, and a spare in the rr fender.

Attachments

• 57 Dodge In Da Weeds.jpg
    57 Dodge In Da Weeds.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 16
Hella kool man.. I just picked up a 57 d-100 the first of the yr.. I might do mine up gasser style.. I have a 1955 331 hemi i will be puttin in the 57.. Keep the pics comimg

Latest posts

Back