six youngsters....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch

RRR Supportor
Last year nothing now 6 barn owl chicks in my shed... [cl

The guys from the local owl protection group look happy enough... they never had 6 chicks in one box... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP1953.jpg
    IMGP1953.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMGP1979.jpg
    IMGP1979.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMGP2003.jpg
    IMGP2003.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 44
Barn Owl's are cool lookin :)[cl:cool:
Six? must be a 6 bedroom box because, I wouldn't expect anything less from you Dutch [ddd

barn owls are cool, so are screech owls till it is dark and you don't know their there. it will make you add a step to your walk or as a teenager make you be under the next street light in a jiffy.

Very kool! I love owls & we have a lot of them out here where I live but no way I'm climbin' a ladder that tall!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Endangered species?

most owl species here are noted " vulnerable "on the endangered species list. These groups help owners of farm houses and such to get their grounds in top shape for owls, build and place boxes, help with vegetation plans etc. They also ring the birds and document. They do great work. They focus on the owls, but reality is, 44% of the breeding birds in the Netherlands are on the list... :mad:

Had another rare visitor in my garden yesterday... :cool:
Queen page

Attachments

• IMGP2029.jpg
    IMGP2029.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
No mice in that barn

Good job Dutch for making it happen. [cl
I've been on a taller ladder but it was bolted to a big ole firetruck:p
Like Butterfly too:D

Always thought owls and Hawks and such were cool. My neighbor gave me a small parrot about 6 years ago. been in love with birds ever since.
cool story.

most owl species here are noted " vulnerable "on the endangered species list. These groups help owners of farm houses and such to get their grounds in top shape for owls, build and place boxes, help with vegetation plans etc. They also ring the birds and document. They do great work. They focus on the owls, but reality is, 44% of the breeding birds in the Netherlands are on the list... :mad:

Thanks for the explanation. :D

Back in my RV days... on a cold winter morning, we had a Snowy Owl crash into a motorhome on our lot. (White on white makes excellent camouflage, never mind the ice fog that morning.)

The owl was injured and couldn't fly... lucky for the bird, one of our co-workers was a chapter member of the Wildlife Federation... he knew what to do and as far as I know, the owl was nursed back to health and lived to kill another day. [ddd

While the drama unfolded, I got a good close-up look at the crash victim... I'd never seen one I was surprised at the size. He was a big fella, about 2 feet tall and I'd guess his wingspan, 5 feet.

I wish I had a camera in my pocket back then. :( I had to scour a couple 'net pics...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• snowy owl.jpg
    snowy owl.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 37
  • snowy owl1.jpg
    snowy owl1.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 36
heres the same bird ( in the 1st pic ) exactly 1 week later... they grow crazy fast...
All six still there, weighed, measured and ringed today. They were super relaxed...so cool :cool:

Attachments

• IMGP2231.jpg
    IMGP2231.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP2118.jpg
    IMGP2118.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP2131.jpg
    IMGP2131.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMGP2222.jpg
    IMGP2222.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 15
I rescued these two a few years ago. We had a huge storm blow through that knocked them out of their nest. Their parents were no where to be seen & it was over 100 degrees every day at the time and after a couple hours they started fading so I took them to a raptor rescue who raised them up & turned them back into the wild! They grew so fast!

BoB

Attachments

• BabyOwls.jpg
    BabyOwls.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 12
sometimes nature needs some help... :) Are they snow owls? I don`t think they live here... too bad :( , just look at Doc`s pictures... whats not to love... [cl

sometimes nature needs some help... :) Are they snow owls? I don`t think they live here... too bad :( , just look at Doc`s pictures... whats not to love... [cl

Dutch, these are screech owls! When I took them to the rescue... the woman who raised them was probably in her mid 80's. When she opened the box to see them... they laid on their backs with those talons up in the air for protection & she started giggling like a lil school girl! She had 3 different flights. A small one where they hand fed the babies, a bigger one where they put them in with adults to teach them how to catch their dinner (mainly rodents). When they learned to feed themselves they transferred them into a much larger cage with other young adults. After about a 3 month process... they released them out into the woods!

BoB

Latest posts

Back