steering wheel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkvail

We want to use this on our 36 Diamond T build - but having trouble finding a steering column to work with it. Anybody know what it is off of? Or better yet, a way to make it work for an aftermarket steering column? Tapered hole in center tapers from 7/8'' to 1'' with a .18'' keyway. The taper on the back of the wheel is 2'' OD (with a 1.8'' recess).
I would LOVE to have a steering column with a blinker switch but realize that might not happen. Key/ignition will be on the dash.

Here it is in our truck - it is just sitting on the current column (current one is from a Pete and it has splines, so will not work for this steering wheel). I found a ''Deluxe'' bakelite center cap that kinda works for the steering wheel. It isn't perfect, but better than nothing.

being keyed i believe it is from a boat. don't believe i have ever seen a keyed column on a car or truck, but i have been wrong before.

You could machine the center out of it and weld yhe center from another wheel into it. I would want to be confident in my welding and machining skills though.

being keyed i believe it is from a boat. don't believe i have ever seen a keyed column on a car or truck, but i have been wrong before.

All early Ford columns are keyed.

The easiest thing to do would be to find the exact column you WANT to use, then have a steering shaft machined to fit the wheel. Insert new steering shaft in your column of choice and bolt the wheel on - Done. Shouldn't be a difficult task for any local machine shop...

I just did what you have to do, but I had the old column to cut pieces off of.
I mounted an old unknown steering wheel onto a Flaming river column.
Would the aftermarket column companies maybe sell an insert with their own ID spline in it so you can just machine the OD an press it into your wheel? Good Luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 6
As for a turn signal switch, you could always use one of the aftermarket style that bolt around the column. Big trucks ran that style for years, only recently changing.

Love the dash! The wheel will fit right in with it.[cl

Early Freightliner wheels are keyed also. How big (diameter) is you wheel? It is way to pretty to be a Freightliner, but if it is a big truck wheel there are lots of possibilities. Actually, it may fit a lot of old trucks. They liked to use the same parts. Still do, on a lot of things.

I see yours has one thing in common with the Freightliner wheel, Fords too, for that matter, there is no method of pulling it like newer wheels with the threaded holes for a puller. Go figure...

Gotta be a boat wheel.
When i was searching for one for the weasel.
All the really neat wheels came from boats
A lathe could turn a shaft stub and then weld a key on

All early Ford columns are keyed.

The easiest thing to do would be to find the exact column you WANT to use, then have a steering shaft machined to fit the wheel. Insert new steering shaft in your column of choice and bolt the wheel on - Done. Shouldn't be a difficult task for any local machine shop...

thank you - I will see what the local machine shop says! He is also a hot rod builder, so he might be just the guy to go see :)

Early Freightliner wheels are keyed also. How big (diameter) is you wheel? It is way to pretty to be a Freightliner, but if it is a big truck wheel there are lots of possibilities. Actually, it may fit a lot of old trucks. They liked to use the same parts. Still do, on a lot of things.

I see yours has one thing in common with the Freightliner wheel, Fords too, for that matter, there is no method of pulling it like newer wheels with the threaded holes for a puller. Go figure...

It is 18'' diameter. Quite large. Wishing it was more like 16'', but it is what it is and no changing that.

steering shaft nut is loosened almost all the way
so the wood is pushing on it
i soaked it with penetrating oild and put that thing on
every once in a while i would tighten it mnore
two days later i heard a noise that sounded like a cross between a bull whip and a gunshot
that thing had popped loose
if i hadnt put the shaft nut back on it would have taken out the rear window.

Attachments

• zsmithwesson27-2166.jpg
    zsmithwesson27-2166.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 20
steering shaft nut is loosened almost all the way
so the wood is pushing on it
i soaked it with penetrating oild and put that thing on
every once in a while i would tighten it mnore
two days later i heard a noise that sounded like a cross between a bull whip and a gunshot
that thing had popped loose
if i hadnt put the shaft nut back on it would have taken out the rear window.
I remember this. :D Patience is also a great tool.

told you i could be wrong, i knew the model t had a key but i knew that wasn't a model t wheel. i never knew of any others, learn something new every time i turn around.

Latest posts

Back