Anyone running a 6 in dropped axle?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

On my model A I've got a round tube 6 in dropped axle, it has chevy spindles with speedways flat steering arms, steering rod in the front, spring behind axle. When I hear people talk about ackerman, and looking at this set up there is no way that you can get it correct. I have traditional steering with a reversed corvair box. Anyone have a set up like this? If so, how does it handle? They had all this stuck together when I bought the car, half of it was loose, missing bolts and so on. It has gm metric calipers and there isn't enough room for the brake hose to bolt on, will have to grind on the steering arm. Any help is appreciated, I can get a pic to help explain.

Here are the pics, there were no shocks on it, I have to fab mounts, wish it'd been a 2 or 4 inch dropped axle.

Attachments

• 20190326_195036.jpg
    20190326_195036.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190326_195050.jpg
    20190326_195050.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190326_195102.jpg
    20190326_195102.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190326_195145.jpg
    20190326_195145.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 40
Is there any way to swap the arms and put the tie rod behind the axle? If not it's my understanding that if the tie rod is in front you need really long arms and they will need to be very close to the tires in order to get the akerman close to right.

That's my thinking on the arms. With the 6 inch drop, I can't use these arms and put it behind the axle, radius rods are in the way. If I could put the spring on top, it'd change wheel base, radius rod mounts and a bunch of crap. Maybe I could get new dropped arms and put it in the rear? They make 1 3/4 and 3 3/4 dropped I think. Wish I had some to try, I'll try and do some measuring tomorrow. The way it is now, it'll scrub the tires right off it, I'd think.

I think the brake lines are the last of my problems. Checked Speedway, all the dropped arms I was thinking about are for ford spindles, they have the dropped flat arms for chevy spindles that are for a 6 inch dropped axle.

You have all kinds of space up front.

Bend, fabricate and/or stretch the steering arms, lengthen the tie rod to suit. I'll bet you can get near perfect Ackermann...

I was thinking of trying that, I figure if I can get it close it'll be better than the way it is.

Do whatever it takes to get the tie rod behind the axle. It will look MUCH better, and more importantly be way safer.

Here's a possible solution - Locate some stock Chevy steering arms, drill them out for rod ends and run the tie rod on the bottom of the arms. I did this exact thing on a T Coupe with the same 6" Speedway setup you are running and it worked fine. Only difference was I ran stock Chevy drums, but since the arms use the lower spindle holes I don't think it would be an issue with your discs.

Speaking of issues, you are going to have to put some good size notches in those frame horns, or trim them off all together. Ask me how I know. ;)

I happen to remember I had 1 old chevy steering arm, I think a 40, hanging in the garage, you are right, they'd work. Went to a few hot rodders today with no luck, but I did get a chance to look at one of their old chevy trucks, a 50, and I think they'd be perfect if the bolt pattern is the same. Mine's 3 1/8, center to center, does anyone know what the 47 to 54 trucks are? I couldn't get under it enough to measure.

axle

if it was mine, i would take everything off that axle and buy a 4 in drop axle, spring on top. then sell the 6 in drop axle. get a radius rod bracket with enough spread to put the tie rod through them behind the axle. with everything you want to do it seems like reinventing the wheel.

you are right, they'd work. Went to a few hot rodders today with no luck

The truck arms might work, but if not the '49-54 passenger car units are usually around in junkyards.
If you can't find any local, let me know. Pretty sure I have some on a stock set of spindles here somewhere.

The car spindles would be good, I think thats what I got one of here. I'll post a pic of it later, let me know what you want for yours and shipping to Ky, 41004. Mine are 3 1/8 on the mounting holes. If I change axles and put the spring on top, that changes WB, mounting points for the radius rods, plus the cost of the axle. If I can get these spindles all I have to do is bolt them on.

The car spindles would be good, I think thats what I got one of here. I'll post a pic of it later, let me know what you want for yours and shipping to Ky, 41004. Mine are 3 1/8 on the mounting holes. If I change axles and put the spring on top, that changes WB, mounting points for the radius rods, plus the cost of the axle. If I can get these spindles all I have to do is bolt them on.

You don't even need the whole spindle, just the steering arms. I will check when I get to my shop later tonight and let you know.

I've made my own steering arms before from 1" steel plate, hard to see in this pic but also on a modified 55 Chev truck axle, using cross steering and Vega box - I'd go with the Vega so you don't have that long drag link to the upper left spindle and no tire scrub problems on full left steering lock. You should be able to place the tie rod and drag link between the radius rods like this for a tidy setup even with the spring behind the axle.

Attachments

• 2004 feb 29 009.jpg
    2004 feb 29 009.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back