!937 Ford commercial truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny c

I have a chance to look at and possibly buy a 37 Ford commercial truck. The motor isn't in it. the cab sheet metal looks pretty good. No bed, had a flat bed at one time. Flat tires. Some broken glass. Was wondering if anyone knows what one of these weighs and what a reasonable offer would be on something like this. would like the weight so I can tell if I can put it on my trailer or if I need to come up with some other means of transport. I've only seen pics of it on a friends phone. Thanks

How far do you have to transport it?
How many axles are under your trailer?
How legal do you have to be?

I hauled a '36 Ford commercial home last year on a tridem trailer and never even felt it back there. I have a dual wheeled one ton up front. The '36 2 ton has a motor in it, and a yuccy deck. I would haul it on a tandem trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_1987.jpg
    IMG_1987.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 19
Thanks guys.Doc, I found the same info, I couldn't find a track width any where to see if it would fit between the fenders. My trailer will take the weight . The trailer is a 20 foot tilt deck. Mac It's about 30 miles away. I have to be legal. Having a CDL means I can't claim ignorance. I don't know the wheel base I' going to take a tape measure and see what I find. For some reason I can't get on Restore my Ford site today to ck wheel base and I forgot what the two lengths are.

Haven't found a track width yet for commercial truck on a Ford my 1 1/2 ton chevy is 70" on front axle and 88 1/2" on dually rear. I would imagine that's fairly close. I hauled mine on a trailer that was only 18' and it was tight.

I bought it and hauled it home today. Is a 131.5 wheel base and had a 85hp flathead V8. Cab is very good for it's age. bottom of drivers door has a little rot. Inside drivers kick panel. battery tray. bottom of dash under glove box. these are the bad spots I've found so far. The hood sides and top panels are good, the hinge is toast . The grill shell is smashed but may be fixable. The radiator looks good, It has a new clutch with it. The engine looks like the heads have been off, I don't know what or if anything has been done to it. I'll give more updates as I find out more.

Attachments

• DSC01192.JPG
    DSC01192.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01193.JPG
    DSC01193.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01194.JPG
    DSC01194.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01195.JPG
    DSC01195.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01196.JPG
    DSC01196.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01197.JPG
    DSC01197.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC01198.JPG
    DSC01198.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01199.JPG
    DSC01199.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01200.JPG
    DSC01200.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 26
The cab is in a lot better shape than the 49 I'm working with. The fenders are ok and I think fixable. They have been brazed to the cab and to the running boards. The ribs on the drivers side running board are worn through. Doc, If I keep this one I'm playing with the Idea of putting it on a 2nd generation Dodge 4x4 I Know of that has a built motor,bigger turbo and a tuner and making it a shop truck. Probably a dumb idea but it may be fun.

Blaspheme ......[ddd:D

No offense intended, small. Sometimes, all a guy has is a truck cab... in your case, far less than that! [cl

It simply burns my tail feathers when somebody has decent, complete sheetmetal and chooses to discard it. I've seen people SCRAP nice parts somebody would kill for!

Doc, If I keep this one I'm playing with the Idea of putting it on a 2nd generation Dodge 4x4 I Know of that has a built motor,bigger turbo and a tuner and making it a shop truck. Probably a dumb idea but it may be fun.

Cranky likey. A milder version of this would be cooler than ice cubes in the arctic...

hqdefault.jpg

That was probably where I got the idea. I agree not that radical. I played with it a little today after unloading it. Lubed a few things. The doors work as well as my 2012 F350, latches, handles.even the window regulators seem good. No glass at all in drivers side and half of it missing from pass. side. The windshield cranks out very easily, the upper pivots for the windshield are broken or loose. I haven't dug that deep yet.The windshield frame is really rotten. The cowl vent moves but the linkage is partially disconnected and stuck but it will free up. I also finally found the serial number. The one on the plate on the fire wall was not readable, almost like it wasn't stamped just a blank aluminum plate. The one one the frame was there enough to match the one on the top of the transmission. I checked the engine and it turns over and looks like the heads have been off. The paint on them doesn't match the block and the intake has fresh looking bolts and washers that are clean compared to the intake. I' real curious about the motor. The trans has some wiped out gears in it.

Latest posts

Back