FORD 8" or 9" ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2muchtorque

To help out some members who might not know, on the previous thread by Carlos Murphy regarding the 9" and the drain plug, our good friend Gastrick, submitted a real nice pic of the center section of his Ford 9". If you look close at the bottom 2 bolts, or studs and nuts in this case, {much stronger-nice work Bill!} that hold the center section to the axle housing- if you CAN get to these nuts or bolts with a SOCKET, it is a 8" rear. If you need a WRENCH to access or tighten these lower 2 bolts/nuts, then it is a 9". Simple and easy way to tell when dumpster diving, but dont dismiss a Ford 8" for no reason, it's still a pretty stout piece. :cool:

Why stop there?

4340 Chrome Moly 35 spline axles, Detroit locker, Nodular Iron center case, and a Richmond ring an pinion, and a couple quarts of Red-Line Synthetic SHOCK-PROOF HEAVY, lets rock!!

That's dang neared bullet proof. Pretty hard to find that around these parts

That's dang neared bullet proof. Pretty hard to find that around these parts

I pulled it out of a 69 Torino in a junkyard in 1981. There was almost nothing left of the rest of the car. I don't know why the rear wasn't already taken. I paid 25 bucks for it.

Latest posts

Back