200R4 question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydrocarbon Rocket

Now I have decided to put a 200-R4 in my 55. I have no problem wiring self latchting relays and or normally closed brake light switch for converter lock up or unlock. I'm not looking to buy any kits or even remove the pan to do any internal changes.

I just want to know what each of the 3 wires coming out of the side of transmission is labeled for? I can't find wich specific wire is what in all the searches I've done. The Trans is from a 1984 buick park avenue.

Thanks!

Will this work
Bottom line is, running 12v to the position A on the plug will lock the converter when tranny shifts to overdrive.

TH700R4WiringDiagram04.bmp

Last edited:
That works and is Awsome. I looked and looked. When I done my 4L80E in my truck, I found all kinds of info and it has about a bazillion wires coming out of it. After all that, these 3 had me stumped.

Also, Is the nuetral safety switch must be on the collumn for cars with the 200r4?

Glad it helped.
If it's a column shift, all the neutral safety switches, regardless which auto tranny, will be on the column.

No 200r4 came with a self-grounding tcc solenoid. There are about 6 different factory wiring harness combo's. I'll post a pic of how to wire the trans in the pan to make it a one wire. Tobby

No 200r4 came with a self-grounding tcc solenoid. There are about 6 different factory wiring harness combo's. I'll post a pic of how to wire the trans in the pan to make it a one wire. Tobby

I don't want to pull the pan and it don't have to be a one wire. Surely if the above diagram is not correct I will still be able to figure out wich of the 3 wires does what without pulling the pan?

The A post is the post that needs 12v from the ignition hooked to it so the converter will lock up in overdrive.
It needs no other wires. I've hooked mine up like this for years.

Pic 1 is a grand national, ss monte carlo and some other hp cars. It has a pressure switch for 3-4 gear in the A wire. C is D in the first pic it is ground for tcc. from computer. B is hooked to a pressure switch for 4th to send signal to computer trans is in 4th.
Pic 2 A is 12v, D is ground and B is 4th gear signal.
Pic 3 A is 12v. But has a thermal switch (temp) on the ground side, so when the 4th pressure switch is grounded and temp is up you have ground for tcc. This is the only one that will work with a 12v wire only.
if you wire the tcc switch with 12v and a ground all the time the trans will lock-up in 2-3 and 4th.(that's with no pressure switches ) Hope this helps.
Tobby

Latest posts

Back