Fordomatic help - help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meyek91974

I have an oportunity on a really decent '65 Ford Falcon but the big decider is that the guy who owns it says that A)he bought it to fix and drive but couldnt get to it so he's selling, and B)when he bought it it had a leak at the front of the tranny enough that he could get it on the trailer and that's it. So, it's not driveable.

My question is how difficult is it to change the main seal?

He says its the main, in the bell housing. He says he knows it's not the converter and "all I have to do" is drop the shaft, unbolt and slide tranny back to get a hand in and swap the seal. (yeah, all I have to do is...)

So, is this the deal breaker on a $500 ride that also comes w a spare fender, grill and other stuff I could sell to make back some $

What would you do??? HELP

I'd say assume that you have a lot of work to do to fix that "seal" and assume that it will be more than what he is telling you considering if it was an easy fix he wouldn't be selling it.

Now, for $500, if its a good solid car, I'd say its worth it
Isn't that a C4 trans?
Torque converters are about $90 or so plus a core...

For $500 you can afford to fiddle with it besides, what a better way to learn how to put a seal in a tranny. Chance are he's right.
Buy the car, fix the tranny and have some fun.
At least try it first. It's just nuts and bolts.
If you can't do it pay $75 to $150 to have a tranny shop put it in for you.
$650 in a 65 Falcon ? = Fun [cl

Don't take this as directed at you because, it isn't.
People have gotten way to picky on what they buy anymore and will let the littlest things stop them from having a new experience and enjoying themselves. :)

The trans in that car should be a C4 Check the pan design. These charts should help you ID the trans

Attachments

• ford pan id.gif
    ford pan id.gif
    80.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Ford_trans pans.gif
    Ford_trans pans.gif
    65.4 KB · Views: 3
Steering column shifter reads Fordomatic

the plastic guard lettering where you shift reads Ford-o-matic, so I assumed such.

I have googled how to change seal, but havent found a confidence-assuring answer. At best it's unbolt & drop drive shaft, unbolt around bell housing at body of tranny and not at engine, then slide trans back enough to slip a hand in there and peel out/pop in new one, then slide together & bolt back up....

that much said, I know it never is as easy as someone says and I called a two places but their returned vmails say it's too old for them. whatever that means.

OTHERWISE it needs a battery, change oil and air filter, tighten alt belt & fire it up! - I need to get 1 used tire swapped out on the front right too, but all this is minimal... I thought $750 and I'm riding

Oh, it's the car in my profile pic
soon as I know how to add a pic then I'll post larger

Last edited:
That is a C4 Ford-o- Matic. Also called the "Green Dot" transmission. Only difference in those and the later ones is the valve body.

"From 1964 to 1966 the C4 was called the Dual-Range Cruise-O-Matic—known among enthusiasts as the Green Dot transmission. The C4 Dual-Range is equipped with a valve body that allows a driver to start out in second gear on snow and ice with a 2-3 upshift, which is the small dot (off detent next to neutral) on the indicator. The larger green dot at the detent next to “L” enables you to start out in first gear and go through a normal 1-2-3 upshift program."

Either way you go, you're gonna need to pull engine or tranny to get to the seal. It should be simple to pop out and install a new one. I changed on on a later C-6 and used a piece of exhaust pipe as a seal driver. If you unbolt the bell from the early models, the front pump will usually fall out with it, then you have problems.:eek: The bell bolts and the bell are what holds the front pump in, so unless you're going inside the tranny, you don't want to mess with those.

A good read on Ford transmissions:
http://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/fordc4c6transmissions/

People have gotten way to picky on what they buy anymore and will let the littlest things stop them from having a new experience and enjoying themselves

Thanks Old Iron, I needed that.
Also, the guy with the '65 Falcon for sale text me a couple/few times this evening saying that yet another looksee fell through and he was checking if I'm still interested.
While talking to him I just happened to make a comment wondering why I'm second-guessing myself when I used to be quite the opposite.

Thanks brother

No problem,:)
I do the same thing sometimes and a buddy of mine does the same so I refocus on what I want.
I'll be lookin for a fix-N-drive on this one [P

Latest posts

Back