olds 455 trans

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are putting a "built" 2004r behind a 500 Caddy. That 455 should be the same bolt pattern as the Caddy.

That info did remind me though that the Buick, Olds, Pontiac share a different bolt pattern than the common Chevy bolt pattern, so you either need to find a transmission with the B O P pattern or use the adaper plate Old Iron posted.

Don

Yes any b-p-o trans (some 350's 400's) But the 200r4 is a multiple pattern bell (chevy and b-p-o ) When done right they are a good trans. Tobby

The other problem is that TH350's and maybe TH 400's with the B O P bolt pattern are getting harder to find, the supply is drying up. Jackson Racing built the one for my Son's 455 Olds and they told me they can't get cores any more to build them , but we lucked out and they had one in stock.

If those OD transmissions work they will have a lot of advantages on the street, including much better gas milage.

Don

A lot of people forget to include the 368, 425, 472, 500 Caddy in the B-O-P tranny bolt pattern family. If you plan to use a 200R4, they definitely need upgrading to live behind a torquey engine like the big Olds, likewise the 700R4 (4L60, 4L60E), especially the earliest ones. Adaptor plates are cheap on ebay to convert any Chevy bolt pattern tranny to the Olds, so your options are limitless. Modern 4L80 and 4L80E are sort of equivalent to a Turbo 400 with overdrive and would be the best one to use for strength (also the most expensive :() though they are also physically the largest.

The 480le share most of the same internals as the 400 turbo but are computer controlled and the computer isn't cheap.

IMO your best option is a bop turbo 400.

I wouldn't even think of a 700r4 or the 200r as a option. Neither will hold up if you drive it yard. Even with mods.

Electric kick down?

Any of you guys that are running the T400 behind these land yatch motors have the inside scoop for the electric kickdown? The T350 has a mechanical kick down and I was just wondering how everyone's been wiring up the kick downs for these T400 tranny's...

There is a ton of company's that offer kits....

Any of you guys that are running the T400 behind these land yatch motors have the inside scoop for the electric kickdown? The T350 has a mechanical kick down and I was just wondering how everyone's been wiring up the kick downs for these T400 tranny's...

B&M, TCI, I think Speedway sells one, Summit, Jegs....or you can hunt down the switch and brackets from an old caddie, pontiac or olds but hard to find and normally the switchs are shot.....JMHO...

We eliminated the kickdown altogether on the TH350 behind the 455 Olds in my Son's rpu. There was no room to run it neatly and the car really didn't need a passing gear because all you have to do is open up the carbs a little and you get all the power you need to accelerate.:D

Don

I've never connected the electric kickdown yet on probably a couple dozen Turbo 400's over the years. I think it's some sort of instinctive resistance to allowing machines to control our actions - besides, that would take away the joy of yanking the shifter before tromping the gas to pass [ddd

Latest posts

Back