Gonna rebuild my rear end.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that source. It is getting harder to find parts for these 8 and 9 inch rears so every suggestion helps.

I was thinking about it, the 8 inch rear that I got for free didn't end up so cheap after all ! :eek: I have $200 in new gears, $90 in an installation kit, $200 to Mark for putting the gears in, maybe $100 for him to press the new axle bearings on (plus the $80 the bearings cost me) , then I have to buy every brake part like shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, drums, etc. I bet I will have $1000 in this rear before it is over ! :(

Building cars is not the cheapest hobby out there, is it ?

Don

Sometimes it cheaper to buy new... Sucks, but unless you can find a good used rear that is functional, the cost adds up quick!!!

Sorry to hear about the extra investment in the 8" rear.

Yeah, I know. The problem is that 8 and 9 inch Ford rears are drying up in junkyards, I even posted a Want to Buy ad on Craigslist and got zero calls. I had a nice 8 inch rear a while back but gave it to my Son Don for his T bucket. All he had to do was put new axle bearing on it and it was ready to go.

I miss the old days when there were tons of Mavericks, Fairmonts, etc in junkyards.:(:(

Don

Of all the parts shopping lately, the only problem part I've had was a rear end. I've done real good with CL ads, but for some reason, when looking for a 9", I had nothing but no-shows and bad info...and you're right Don, the junkyards around this area are about dry for old stuff at all. Seeing a car from the 80-s is like running into a dinosaur.

Yeah, I know. The problem is that 8 and 9 inch Ford rears are drying up in junkyards, I even posted a Want to Buy ad on Craigslist and got zero calls. I had a nice 8 inch rear a while back but gave it to my Son Don for his T bucket. All he had to do was put new axle bearing on it and it was ready to go.

I miss the old days when there were tons of Mavericks, Fairmonts, etc in junkyards.:(:(

Don

Well there are a ton of 8.8s out there from ford which can beefed up quite easily too...
Tons of aftermarket/factory racing parts available...

Latest posts

Back