Help with throttle cable

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmlcolorado

I have a fancy cable on my truck. I ran it for about 700 miles with no issues other than a foul,e of strands around the cable coming loose.
Suddenly one night the cable broke free from the set screw.
No big deal, stuff it back in and tighten the set screw.
This round it lasted about 30 miles before the cable broke. I over tightened the set screw.
So where exactly is the "happy zone" on this type of cable?
It's on a diesel injection pump, with no balancer on the engine, so it sees quite a bit of vibration.
Frustrating when such a simple thing renders the truck motionless on the side of the road.
Thoughts?

Is there a better cable system I should fork out for?

Never been fond of those set screw fittings...

Had a friend with the same issue...he epoxied the thing into the end fitting...never had another problem on that end....might be something to consider....

Had a friend with the same issue...he epoxied the thing into the end fitting...never had another problem on that end....might be something to consider....

Hey that's not a bad idea.
I assume he used the set screw still?

I was thinking of breaking out the rig welder and making the very end of the cable solid so the set screw bites down on solid rather than stranded. But then I fear where the solid stops and strand starts, would be a weak point and it would eventually break free there.

Yes he epoxy'd the cable end

Then slipped it in and then set the set screw...which literally epoxy'd them both I'd guess.....seems to have worked for him...

Looks like a Lokar setup. That's what I use but mine usually lasts 3-4 years before I have to replace them. I try not to over tighten & guess I have it just about right. Gluing might help.

BoB

Latest posts

Back