starter plate question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

26Troadster

ok long story short the starter bolt holes are drilled 3/32" out to far. i know i have the 168 flex plate and staggered bolt starter and i have broke the second one now. i can take the th400 off my motor and put a old cast iron bell housing on my motor with the same flex plate and i have no starter problems at all, but go back to the block mounted and it sounds bad.i can take a 1/8" rod between the starter shaft and the flex plate teeth and rattle it. i believe i can use a block plate to a blow shield bell housing between my th400 and motor and use the bell housing starter to cure the problem. what do y'all think about this.

You can use a .035 welding wire by extending the Bendix out to the flywheel and see if it clears between the Bendix teeth and the flywheel teeth.
Honestly sounds like you have too much clearance.

I've seen ministarters milled down for the same problem you're having. If it seems reasonable to you, take .100 or more off the starter housing. (You can always shim it out, but you can't shim it in.:D)

yes it is to far away, and i did mill .082 off the stock starter. i guess i'll either go the starter plate or buy a mini starter, either way i'll be in about a buck fifty

Latest posts

Back