Taller gears

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One

I have a 1973 Ford Mavrick and I was woundering if I could get taller gears for the rear. It's an 8 inch rear with stock gears.Can I get better gears with this rear or do I need to go with a 9 inch.Thanks and God Bless.[P[P

The 8 inch Ford rear is a pretty decent unit, the 9 inch is of course better, but you can build a really nice 8 inch.

All sorts of parts are available. Have you checked suppliers like Summit or Jegs?
I would also search the internet, there are lots of places that specialize in rear ends.

Most Maverick rear ends are 2.79 which is a pretty tall gear already.

I think this one is out of the 98 model and it has no take off at all. It gets going pretty good after your moving but it will not burn rubber on take off.The motor and trans are out of a 98 Exployer.[P[P

I think this one is out of the 98 model and it has no take off at all. It gets going pretty good after your moving but it will not burn rubber on take off.The motor and trans are out of a 98 Exployer.[P[P

If I read what you are saying correctly, what you mean is you want lower gears in the rear end, not taller.

You need to go look at one of these web sites.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-...wing/maneuvers/gear-ratio-tire-size-chart.htm

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-tires/tire-gear-ratio-chart.htm

http://www.ramblerman.com/blazer/gearcalc.htm

What exactly do you mean by "taller" ? Taller generally means lower numerically gears, like going from 3.00's to 2.79's. "Deeper" gears usually means going to numerically higher gears, like going from 3.00's to 3.50's.

Which do you want, gears for better gas milage or ones for more power on take off ? I think you have your terminologies backwards.

Don

What exactly do you mean by "taller" ? Taller generally means lower numerically gears, like going from 3.00's to 2.79's. "Deeper" gears usually means going to numerically higher gears, like going from 3.00's to 3.50's.

Which do you want, gears for better gas milage or ones for more power on take off ? I think you have your terminologies backwards.

Don

I just might, I really do not know all that much about rear ends. I want something streetable that can get up and go when I need it. Sorry for the mix up.

No problem, I just wasn't sure if you wanted higher (more top end) or lower (more power off the line) gears.

To answer your question, yes, you can get all kinds of gear ratios for your 8 incher. Right now my guess is that it is a 2.79 ratio. It seems most of the Maverick rears in automatic cars came with either that or 3.00 at the most. When you say you want more "get up and go" that usually means a lower ratio that will have more power from a stop, but it raises the engine rpms and gas milage does suffer.

When a car manufacturer builds a car they put in a ratio that kinda sorta fits any potential buyer, from little old ladies to young guys. The ratio they pick usually leans toward being a little high for gas milage and smooth driving on the interstate as well as around town.

BTW, almost no other change gives you more seat of the pants feel of performance than a change to a lower set of gears. It will wake up almost any car.

My suggestion would be to find out what you have now (should be a metal tag on one of the bolts that hold the center section on the rear end) the ratio will be stamped on that tag, if it is still in place. Then come back and we will make some suggestions as to what would work well for you.

One thing I have to mention is that for some unknown reason it is more expensive to build an 8 inch rear than a 9 incher. Parts cost more, maybe because more 9 inch stuff is made. But if your Mav is stock, you really do not need a 9 or even a posi for that matter.

Don

No problem, I just wasn't sure if you wanted higher (more top end) or lower (more power off the line) gears.

To answer your question, yes, you can get all kinds of gear ratios for your 8 incher. Right now my guess is that it is a 2.79 ratio. It seems most of the Maverick rears in automatic cars came with either that or 3.00 at the most. When you say you want more "get up and go" that usually means a lower ratio that will have more power from a stop, but it raises the engine rpms and gas milage does suffer.

When a car manufacturer builds a car they put in a ratio that kinda sorta fits any potential buyer, from little old ladies to young guys. The ratio they pick usually leans toward being a little high for gas milage and smooth driving on the interstate as well as around town.

BTW, almost no other change gives you more seat of the pants feel of performance than a change to a lower set of gears. It will wake up almost any car.

My suggestion would be to find out what you have now (should be a metal tag on one of the bolts that hold the center section on the rear end) the ratio will be stamped on that tag, if it is still in place. Then come back and we will make some suggestions as to what would work well for you.

One thing I have to mention is that for some unknown reason it is more expensive to build an 8 inch rear than a 9 incher. Parts cost more, maybe because more 9 inch stuff is made. But if your Mav is stock, you really do not need a 9 or even a posi for that matter.

Don

It's not stock. The engine and trans are out of a 98 exployer and the rear may be too. I will have to go ask the guy that built it.The engine and trans are built but I have no idea about the rear.[P[P

The Explorer rear end would likely be too wide for the Maverick, and it definitely wouldn't be an 8 inch. It helps to know exactly what you have before asking for advice on it...

The Explorer rear end would likely be too wide for the Maverick, and it definitely wouldn't be an 8 inch. It helps to know exactly what you have before asking for advice on it...

Ok,so I have an 8 inch rear end under it so that must mean that it is stock.I would still like to get better gearing for it. Thanks for All the help. God Bless.[cl[cl

You still haven't defined what you mean by "better gearing". Need to know where you are now to know how to get you someplace "better".

Look for the tag on your rear axle.

Don

You still haven't defined what you mean by "better gearing". Need to know where you are now to know how to get you someplace "better".

Look for the tag on your rear axle.

Don

All I needed to know was if I could get better gears for the rear. Now I have my answer. Thanks and God Bless you all.[P[P

Is there an aluminum tag on one of the studs holding the center section in. The info on that tag will give you what gears you are starting out with and then you will know which way you need to go.

Latest posts

Back