anyone know about OPELS????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo King

Does anyone on here mess with opels? I have a roadster that's hand made and it used opel drivetrain. I just bought a 1.9l engine for it and then realized that the 1.1l is a different transmission! So I was wondering if anyone has messed with these cars at all and has any advice or would know where to find a transmission for this motor. I ha e a bellhousing and flywheel. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Build on...

Pretty sure it's the later one. 72-75 I believe. Low compression.

Those vega transmissions are almost as hard to find as the opels! I think they mentioned the input shaft may need modified but I'm not positive on that.

well, since I`m on the other side of the pond, and we trip over an opel here every 10 yards, I could check if and what I can find here... I was never into opels btw... shipping may be an exiting experience tho... :eek:

I wonder if 21willys would bring it back for me lol
I'll have to ask my chevette guy and see if he has any parts left. Those little cars are hard to find parts for cuz they are all junked by now.

That's the problem I'm having. I can't figure out who made the transmission. I know I don't have the square chevy bolt pattern, mine looks more like a parallelogram. They use the s10 clutches all the time so that would be easy. I heard the input shaft was too large .

Why don't you cut your losses and pick up a 2300 Ford engine with the trans. Fit the whole works in your car. Lots of them still around.

IIRC, the 2500 cc Ford is FI. Early 2300's, think Pinto and Mustang II, were carbed, a two barrel Weber design. I'm not sure if the 2300 stuff will work on a 2500 or the other way around. Only 2500 I had was in a Fox body, it was FI, and didn't even have a distributor or a place for one in the block.

I may have to look into that. A friend gave me a weber for the opel today so that's money ahead. They are like 400 new :eek: I have a t5 if I can figure out the bellhousing. Or for less than the price of another engine I could probably get a rebuilt opel trans on dabay. So many options!!:confused:

That thing would already have a small block in it if it was me!

I have a friend who hoards shuffets, he's hard to make a deal with tho. And I also have a friend with a junk 70s mustang that runs and drives with a carbed 2.3.

As for shipping over seas, I have a company that I deal with that has offices in LA and New Jersey.

It already does have a small block In it! But i think it's grossly overpowered. The frame is 2x2 box. Plus I'm having a terrible time finding engine perches for my c10 to put in the 250. I think I'm gonna put the v8 back in the truck and get it running and put the 4 in the rod. Is it super expensive to ship overseas?

"Grossly overpowered" what kind of language are you talking? I have no idea what that means!

I'd make perches.

It can be exspensive and it can be reasonable. It just seams to depend on what mood they are in.

I've mostly been told that the motor will rip the frame apart. 2x2 box isn't super strong apparently. That paired with the rear end in it makes for a slightly delicate combo. And the body is welded to the frame so I really can't make a new frame without major modifications.

Hopefully they will be in a good mood should I ever need Them lol

Latest posts

Back