Timing Help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DozerII

So this winter I freshened up the 350 in the Essex, new pistons, rings, rod bearings, lifters, push rods, timing chain and gears, Comp cams Thumper, and Summit motors Camel hump clone heads. The motor runs real good bud the timing is giving me fits. I have never been real good a the tuning part of car builds just the build.
When I installed the cam, cranks gears and timing chain I put the crank gear at the center stock location of the three key way locations.

When I try to time the motor with a timing light the mark is no where near where it should be. I marked the balancer with degree makes up to 40 degrees either side of the TDC mark. So when I start it going by the sound of the motor it needs about 28-30 advanced with the light at idle and 45-50 at 3500rpm.

I'm not sure what I'm missing[S I did change the balancer out for another one off a 350 Chev.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Big THANK YOU to Dr C.[cl[cl

As per our conversation the other day, rotating the crank one full revolution between a stop on #1. Low and behold the TDC mark on the dampner was out 10 degrees to the advanced side.

The upper mark is the one I had to mark.

I'd like to add that if the damper is not on the mark when it's top dead center then, either the damper has slipped (not at all good) or the pointer on the block needs repositioned.

I'd like to add that if the damper is not on the mark when it's top dead center then, either the damper has slipped (not at all good) or the pointer on the block needs repositioned.

The damper I have is off a donor motor which didn't have the TDC mark in the same location as my original. That is what had me all confused.[S

Latest posts

Back