Chevy powered VW Squareback

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everybody

Thanks everybody. Messed around with it a little bit today and yesterday. Lifted the body off the chassis and set it up on sawhorses. Lotta work for this old guy. Naw. I am only old by a number (will be 67 in December) but still, it's a lot of work moving things around by yourself. Luckilly, I have a big cherry picker. I ran a tow strap through both doors, lifted body and put it on some sawhorses I aready had built. Then I rolled the chassis out and put it on the side of the body with still enough room left on the other side for my Porsche powered '69 VW Bug. Had the garage a/c cranking yesterday. I didn't even break a sweat and it was a balmy 97 degrees.

V8 Square Rat

Nice ! I can't wiat to see the ride movin. I was thinking of Square Rat my self. Some thing like this.

Attachments

• Rat Rod Squareback 1.JPG
    Rat Rod Squareback 1.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 29
To kool bro.
i got a spot for bugs as my dad was an old skool vw mechanic. I got a vw tat even.
big block....bug.....it dont get better. :D RR

V8 Squareback progress

Nice ! I can't wiat to see the ride movin. I was thinking of Square Rat my self. Some thing like this.

I like your photo of your concept. Any larger pics.

Today, I got my purty, brand new sbc 350 mounted in my chassis. Also, attached my 700R4. I'm happy with the way it is looking. Next, I plan to fab some body mounts and see how the body will look mated to the chassis. If I'm happy with that, then it's, the chassis, off to the powder coater.

PROJECTTYPEIIISQUAREBACH041.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture008-2.jpg

I tried to post on this earlier, but no dice, so here goes round 2:

I can't wait to see the body on the frame! This is going to be a killer VW!

[P[P[P

Little progress

I tried to post on this earlier, but no dice, so here goes round 2:

I can't wait to see the body on the frame! This is going to be a killer VW!

[P[P[P

Well, being I had a four hour dental appointment, didn't get a whole lot more done besides finisishing my exhaust pipes. Next plan is to reset my body on the rolling chassis and fab some body mounts. I have a question on fuel tank selection. What are the general feelings on polyethelene tanks? Also, today, I ran across 1968 Chevy Sport Van with a 108" wheelbase. Really in decent shape and the guy wants $2,000. for it. It is a factory V8 stick.

By the way, I live in St. Louis County, MO and am not a baseball fan, but...

GO CARDS!!!
Picture005-2.jpg

Picture001-3.jpg

Picture002-3.jpg

Picture003-4.jpg

Picture004-3.jpg

Last edited:
Body mod

I have been toying around with making my own, custom grille shell and hood. Leaving the front end fenderless, well sort of. Maybe running motorcycle type fenders on the front with roadster type headlights. Engine would be visible on the sides, as would my suspension. What are general comments/suggestions?

Comments

thanks for the comment. Any more out there? As a matter of fact, I have a new, one piece fiberglass front end I have had for years.

Also, what about filling in the side rear glass and making a sedan delivery?

PROJECTTYPEIIISQUAREBACK086.jpg

PROJECTTYPEIIISQUAREBACK087.jpg

PROJECTTYPEIIISQUAREBACK098.jpg

I would leave the windows and run the front fenders (or one piece nose). I think just a smoothed stock body with all the goodies underneath would be sweet. I think you are doing a great job as it is. My opinion is a sedan delivery would look wrong and no front fenders worse. Just my $.02. [P

agree with jfg

I would leave the windows and run the front fenders (or one piece nose). I think just a smoothed stock body with all the goodies underneath would be sweet. I think you are doing a great job as it is. My opinion is a sedan delivery would look wrong and no front fenders worse. Just my $.02. [P

X2[P

Later :cool:

Votes are in.

Thanks for the opinions. I think that I am going to make the one piece, glass front end work. I think a forward tilt would be nice. Also, as far as the windows go, what is the general feeling on taking the middle pillar out, between the back windows and making a one piece window?

Latest posts

Back